BT G.Fast anyone used it?

Soldato
Buying a new house soon (new build) was told by the developer it would be fttp. And when checking on openreach it says fttp but when going to place the order with BT it says only 300mbps is the max i can get.

Rang them up they said its due to it being g.fast and not fttp.

Has anyone been on the g.fast network? Hoe reliable are the speeds?

There gurantee is only 150mbps down and 10mbps up on a 300/49 connection.

Wife does youtube so was hoping for fttp tbh.

Soldato
Buying a new house soon (new build) was told by the developer it would be fttp. And when checking on openreach it says fttp but when going to place the order with BT it says only 300mbps is the max i can get.

Rang them up they said its due to it being g.fast and not fttp.

Has anyone been on the g.fast network? Hoe reliable are the speeds?

There gurantee is only 150mbps down and 10mbps up on a 300/49 connection.

Wife does youtube so was hoping for fttp tbh.
You know on a full fttp the guarantee is similar so don't worry about that you still get good speeds.
The thing id be worried about with having g fast, your now basically the lowest priority for FTTP.

Soldato
OP
You know on a full fttp the guarantee is similar so don't worry about that you still get good speeds.
The thing id be worried about with having g fast, your now basically the lowest priority for FTTP.

That was my issue when i found out last night. Ringing the developer today as they have miss sold it as fttp when ive asked at least 5 times that it is and they confirmed it every time.

Soldato
That was my issue when i found out last night. Ringing the developer today as they have miss sold it as fttp when ive asked at least 5 times that it is and they confirmed it every time.
Maybe worth asking openreach/bt how much to install fttp might not be much.
Then see if you can get the developer to cover the costs as compensation for miss selling.

Associate
I didn't think BT or Openreach were offering g.fast anymore and paused the rollout of it until next year.

I know with FTTP not all exchanges have been upgraded yet to allow the Full Fibre 900 service and so that means some people will remain stuck on getting 300Mbps max.

What does the BT checker say when you do it via the Address checker? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Soldato
OP
I didn't think BT or Openreach were offering g.fast anymore and paused the rollout of it until next year.

I know with FTTP not all exchanges have been upgraded yet to allow the Full Fibre 900 service and so that means some people will remain stuck on getting 300Mbps max.

What does the BT checker say when you do it via the Address checker? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Says WBC FTTP - up to 300 up to 50 upload

Caporegime
Then it's FTTP and not G.fast. There are some older FTTP deployments on garbage ECI OLTs which are limited to 300Mbps, but it's still FTTP.

Associate
Oh what I would do for G.Fast on my cabinet, well the G.Fast pod has been bolted on for months (least I think it is, airvents top and bottom?..)with a load of wires dangling out the bottom then BT went and paused/stopped the roll out.
So close yet so far :(

Soldato
OP
Then it's FTTP and not G.fast. There are some older FTTP deployments on garbage ECI OLTs which are limited to 300Mbps, but it's still FTTP.

Thats hopefull then. At least that means in the future it can be upgraded to 900. The other fttp developments in the area (different exchanged) can get the 900 so hoping this one is soon.

Soldato
OP
Oh what I would do for G.Fast on my cabinet, well the G.Fast pod has been bolted on for months (least I think it is, airvents top and bottom?..)with a load of wires dangling out the bottom then BT went and paused/stopped the roll out.
So close yet so far :(

Im on virgin 500mbps at the mo so really dont want worse than i already have

Soldato
New G.fast build (not installs) other than pre-planned build was postponed and then stopped a while back. In terms of reliability, once it’s working (much like some of the FTTP installs), it’s pretty reliable. What you have is FTTP, it may not be enabled for higher speeds, but it’s still FTTP.

Soldato
OP
New G.fast build (not installs) other than pre-planned build was postponed and then stopped a while back. In terms of reliability, once it’s working (much like some of the FTTP installs), it’s pretty reliable. What you have is FTTP, it may not be enabled for higher speeds, but it’s still FTTP.

Brilliant. Hoping to view the house soon so there should be the fttp hubs somewhere right on the wall?

Soldato
Yeh was saying that earlier. Cant stand VM.
Debating to go BT business its not much more and has 4g backup in the modem
Well you did say your Mrs is a YouTuber so if her jobs depends on it then get business as they will be very quick to fix any issues with a business line.

Soldato
Brilliant. Hoping to view the house soon so there should be the fttp hubs somewhere right on the wall?

You should find an ONT on the wall somewhere if it’s been pre-installed, makes life easier as in theory you can get an activation in hours without a visit (popular in recent times).

Soldato
OP
You should find an ONT on the wall somewhere if it’s been pre-installed, makes life easier as in theory you can get an activation in hours without a visit (popular in recent times).

Trying to get round to view and take measurements this week so i can look myself then instead of relying in the developer

Soldato
My latency back when I was on BT G.Fast, wasn't from the pole as it usually is and was a more direct route to the cabinet as my pole was full at the time.
Probably ~40-50m from the cabinet.
So 2ms to first hop at BT over copper, and 4ms (sometimes 3ms) to the internet (Cloudflare/Google)
Was very very rare for it to drop, in my case i'd recommend it to anyone, switched to Vodafone's 900Mbit purely for extra speed :D
Speed/Latency/Traceroutes
Smokeping

Associate
I’m trying to get fasterbroadband both zen talktalk and https://www.ghostgb.co.uk/availability-checker/ offered Gfast pretty pricey for upload 140 low upload of 12mg was thinking of going with ghost but it’s the most expensive option.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High
Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean)
help.gif
80 68.9 20 19 63.2 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
help.gif
80 67.2 20 19 60 Available Available --
G.fast Range A (Clean)
help.gif