*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Well... Galnet is back :o

And they confirmed no Ship interiors at launch for Odyssey but VR will be usable for all with a simple projected 2d screen in VR for legs, but nothing will stop VR users from playing as normal up until they leave the ship.

Associate
I can see their point about the ship interiors. Whilst it would be lovely to explore them more, I can't help but think that once you've poked around the insides of all your ships, that is kinda the end of that.

Really good news about the VR support for everything-except-walking though. Hopefully they'll make it such that VR players can still interact with the game without having to walk. It would be annoying if, for example, they placed the Mission menu inside a room in a station which would force a VR player to use the 2D screen to be able to use the game.

Associate
I guess VR is a big deal in Elite. I've never tried it myself. What's the recommended kit to get a good experience? I have no idea other than there is Oculus, Valve have maybe made one and several others and I have no idea which one is worth buying.

Soldato
I guess VR is a big deal in Elite. I've never tried it myself. What's the recommended kit to get a good experience? I have no idea other than there is Oculus, Valve have maybe made one and several others and I have no idea which one is worth buying.
Elite in VR is amazing, the headset will depend on budget - I’ve seen the Oculus CV1 go for as low as £150. However other, newer headsets are much more.

Associate
Wouldn't suggest a CV1- it's fantastic with Elite, but more often than not secondhand you'll end up getting one with a broken cable, and even if not, the cables aren't made any more and are a weak point. Luckily I have a spare cable after an RMA headset arrived DOA and they let me keep the accessories...

Soldato
The VR players in my squadron all swear they could never go back to a flat screen. I'm quite prone to motion sickness, which is why I didn't pursue it, but it would be good to have a play in VR one day
My cable started going some months ago, I have hardly touched Elite since, just has little appeal in pancake mode anymore. Motion sickness is something you should eventually get used to, it just takes time. SRV use is definitely not recommended however.
Wouldn't suggest a CV1- it's fantastic with Elite, but more often than not secondhand you'll end up getting one with a broken cable, and even if not, the cables aren't made any more and are a weak point. Luckily I have a spare cable after an RMA headset arrived DOA and they let me keep the accessories...
I'm jealous :(
I wasn’t aware of the cable issue - that’s quite bad really.
It's put me right off ever buying an Oculus product again.

Associate
Elite in VR is amazing, the headset will depend on budget - I’ve seen the Oculus CV1 go for as low as £150. However other, newer headsets are much more.
Wouldn't suggest a CV1- it's fantastic with Elite, but more often than not secondhand you'll end up getting one with a broken cable, and even if not, the cables aren't made any more and are a weak point.
I was thinking it could be worth a punt on a CV1 to see what it's like and upgrade if I like it. The cable does sound offputting. Also do you have to put several sensors around the room? That puts me off as well.

So the one to try is the rift s?

Associate
The VR players in my squadron all swear they could never go back to a flat screen. I'm quite prone to motion sickness, which is why I didn't pursue it, but it would be good to have a play in VR one day

My cable started going some months ago, I have hardly touched Elite since, just has little appeal in pancake mode anymore. Motion sickness is something you should eventually get used to, it just takes time. SRV use is definitely not recommended however.

Motion sickness worries me as well. Drop hundreds on something that I can't use cos it makes me puke LOL. :rolleyes: SRV makes me feel off without VR but I can get used to it.

Soldato
Motion sickness worries me as well. Drop hundreds on something that I can't use cos it makes me puke LOL. :rolleyes: SRV makes me feel off without VR but I can get used to it.
Using the SRV in Elite is the only thing in VR that gives me motion sickness at all these days, or did until mine broke lol. When I first got VR I was very susceptible to it, but with some perseverance and most importantly stopping when nausea did kick in my tolerance for it increased to the point where I just no longer felt any at all regardless of game or activity other than SRV use in Elite lmao. That however took about half an hour to start manifesting so I just kept SRV sessions short :)

Soldato
Using the SRV in Elite is the only thing in VR that gives me motion sickness at all these days, or did until mine broke lol. When I first got VR I was very susceptible to it, but with some perseverance and most importantly stopping when nausea did kick in my tolerance for it increased to the point where I just no longer felt any at all regardless of game or activity other than SRV use in Elite lmao. That however took about half an hour to start manifesting so I just kept SRV sessions short :)

There are a couple of options to help with this. Assuming you've tried them? Stable Horizon and another camera setting I think. Been a while. Without these it was horrific.

Associate
Well i'm now 170 ish hours in!

I've had fun doing some mining and exploring, i'm now having a go at unlocking the engineers. Ive managed 3 so far... this could take a while.

Soldato
I saw one about camera shake in the video option. I'll have to look for stable horizon.
Elite isn't too bad for motion sickness since the backdrop (stars) are quite far away. SRV you just gotta drive really carefully until you build up a tolerance. Racing games made me so ill I had to lie down after like 30s, but after playing enough games that pushed me a little bit, I was able to play racing games no probs. You do get used to it. Elite is deffo one of the easier ones to get into in VR. You might get a bit queasy at first but you soon adjust

Associate
Have a look at the Samsung Odyssey. I'm a CV1 user but was pleasantly surprised at the image quality and tracking (inside out, so no base stations). The only fly in the ointment was controller tracking, which is fine when they're in front of the headset but poor when out of sight. Not a problem at all for Elite. Good value too.

Back
Top Bottom