Who uses a financial advisor?

Soldato
I know people usually slate IFAs but it's worked out OK for me especially in the current situation. I do have friends who tried to do things on their own who have tales of financial woe!

I'm sure plenty of people have the opposite experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Care to tell us how you got 28% I thought even Warren buffet couldn't come near that?
I'm pretty sure this is 28% over 3 years, not 28% each of those years. So it's just under 10% a year, which is/has been achievable the last few years.

Edit: there are worse things to read than this article on the fool. Ignore their rubbish about "I'd buy this stock to make a million" etc as they're just generating traffic. Their book from about ten or fifteen years ago, The Motel Fool Investment Guide is a good easy read.

Soldato
Started Vanguard 6 months ago and I'm 10% up with the 60% equity fund. Tempted to plough more in but I'm a little risk averse. Planning on running it for 5 to 10 years.

Caporegime
People pay advisors to pick stocks for them etc, some seem to do well. So essentially the advisor becomes their hedge fund manager taking a cut.

That generally isn't what financial advisors do (no doubt there are exceptions). If you've got questions about pensions etc.. then your local IFA might well be the right person to go to, likewise you can get *some* investment advice but it will tend to be along the lines of older person, wanting to conserve capital, here are some safe funds to invest in... younger person happy to take some risk, well lets look at including some riskier funds in the portfolio... and that's about it.

It's generally not going to get analysis of individual stocks, hot tips along the lines of "blue horseshoe loves anacott steel".

You're perhaps confusing financial advisors with stock brokers - *some* stock brokerage firms offer advisory services and some will offer discretionary services too, in the latter case this might involve a set annual fee for them to simply manage your entire portfolio in line with some general guidelines whereby they've taken into account your risk profile, discussed with you what you're seeking to achieve etc.. In the former case this could involve paying a higher commission that you'd get at a discount brokerage that doesn't provide any advice... and is an area open to some real cowboy outfits - especially where CFDs and small cap stocks are concerned.

Arguably these stockbroking services can be of questionable value at times but if you've got a big portfolio and you're with some well established firm and simply paying a flat fee then meh, you're probably not going to go too far wrong. At the other end of the spectrum some firms seem to have built their entire business model around churning your account.

Just remember both private client stock brokers and IFAs are a kind of hybrid between some sales and some consulting, in some cases they can be much more on the sales side unless you're worth a lot of money. It doesn't necessarily take much to become one beyond passing some quite basic exams (in the case of stockbrokers, I've passed those same exams myself, as have many people in any regulated role in the city - the then SII certificates in security and derivatives, there was a financial regs paper that needed to be passed for both too - these were level 3 quals at the time, equivalent to A-levels and just involved turning up to a test centre and doing a multiple guess exam... I believe these days the qualifications are level 4 - equivalent to modules you might take at 1st year in university - not exactly all that challenging. Some may have the CFA too which changes things a bit and is much more of a challenge (albeith mostly in rote learning as it's more the quantity of material than complexity of it but props to them as going by the experience of some friends who took it it is quite a slog and they did give up much of their social lives for 3 years).

The guy in the office on the high street above the fish and chip shop is not some equivalent to a succesfull hedge fund manager, he might well be a very nice guy and might know UK pension regs inside and out (and by all means go seem him for that or life assurance policies or some investments in funds that only IFAs have access too etc..) but don't expect Gordon Gekko!

See also people who think - "ooh stock investments, I'll run this past my accountant" (as if the guy with ATT or ACCA exams is going to give you sound advice on individual equities while doing your accounts for your ltd company).

Does anyone use one or do you pick your own stocks, do your own investing, I'd imagine a good picker could make a fortune. Are city analysts allowed to set themselves up like this on the side while still working in the city?

Depends what you mean... if someone was really good then why aren't they managing a fund? They can indeed make a fortune doing that, likewise they can do rather well with their own investments too. If you work in the city though there may be some restrictions on what you can and can't do with a personal account - might need to leave individual equities alone for example.

In terms of being a successful stock broker - that's got little to do with being a good stock picker, obviously it's not a good idea to do anything silly and lose your clients money either if you want to survive as one. Successful stockbrokers are people who earn lots of their firm - via commissions or annual fees from big clients etc..They achieve that by being good salesman, networking and bringing in new accounts to the firm and/or keeping hold of any accounts that they already brought in or that might have been passed onto them if/when other brokers retire etc.. (example I know someone who's dad was a broker and he's now a broker too - guess where most of his dad's old accounts went - granted he was already quite experienced at that time and the clients knew him too etc..).

It's got little to do with being some stock picking savant, it's about contacts, relationships, perceptions etc..

Last edited:
Associate
Not a lot few thousand a year. I was speaking to a girl on twitch and she was saying she made $1000 last month from her stocks who get financial advisor picks for her. I didn't get a chance to ask her the details but will next time. I can't imagine she would be lying or not know what she's talking about, maybe she's been investing for years though.

Too be honest for a few thousand a year you would probably struggled to find an IFA to deal with you. The cost for IFAs has gone up dramatically over the past few years and generally not make it worthwhile for them in the inital stages. We have seen the advice/wealth gap increase due to these cost's to IFAs. Typically I would suggest using an adviser when you are coming closer to retirement or having larger amount of funds that you don't want investing into one single fund.

Soldato
OP
Too be honest for a few thousand a year you would probably struggled to find an IFA to deal with you. The cost for IFAs has gone up dramatically over the past few years and generally not make it worthwhile for them in the inital stages. We have seen the advice/wealth gap increase due to these cost's to IFAs. Typically I would suggest using an adviser when you are coming closer to retirement or having larger amount of funds that you don't want investing into one single fund.

It always puzzles me that there are enough people to keep all these IFA's and lawyers or whatever high paying job, in business.

So we are back to the fact that there's no instant money tree, there's either long term investing, having a lot of capital to invest ideally with insider information or crime.

Soldato
OP
It's got little to do with being some stock picking savant, it's about contacts, relationships, perceptions etc..

Yeh the good old boys networks and alliance's, do you think that's an acceptable/good/necessary/etc thing or just plain unnecessary and greedy, is this what makes the country go around or are individuals just getting filthy rich because they know how to?

Permabanned
I know people usually slate IFAs but it's worked out OK for me especially in the current situation. I do have friends who tried to do things on their own who have tales of financial woe!

I'm sure plenty of people have the opposite experience.

I am one and I think I'm excellent! ;)

Caporegime
Yeh the good old boys networks and alliance's, do you think that's an acceptable/good/necessary/etc thing or just plain unnecessary and greedy, is this what makes the country go around or are individuals just getting filthy rich because they know how to?

Why would it be unacceptable? Surely it’s up to the wealthy people whether they want to trust someone to manage their portfolio. Others are free to try and convince them otherwise. It’s not necessarily old boys network, networking can involve many things and sometimes clients will be passed on via personal recommendations from other clients (wealthy people tend to have networks containing other wealthy people), brokers actively encourage and sometimes directly ask for this.

It’s like saying it’s not fair that someone paid a ridiculous mark up on some expensive bottle of wine at an expensive restaraunt, they could have had the same bottle for much less of they’d bought it themselves and gone to a less exclusive restaurant with a bring your own bottle policy. Fact is though the expensive restaurant did a good job marketing itself, the staff there kiss their ass whenever they go and they have a good relationship with them... so they happily pay more for that level of personal service even if it isn’t necessarily the best value for money.

Likewise if their broker is kind of an aquantance to, takes them and other clients along to the company box to watch the cricket, is full of great chat, pleasant to be around and always gets back to them promptly with any queries etc.. Well they build up a relationship, trust etc.. and pay a bit more for that service.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why would it be unacceptable? Surely it’s up to the wealthy people whether they want to trust someone to manage their portfolio. Others are free to try and convince them otherwise. It’s not necessarily old boys network, networking can involve many things and sometimes clients will be passed on via personal recommendations from other clients (wealthy people tend to have networks containing other wealthy people), brokers actively encourage and sometimes directly ask for this.

But the money stay in one area generally speaking what about the poorer areas around the country.

Associate
It always puzzles me that there are enough people to keep all these IFA's and lawyers or whatever high paying job, in business.

So we are back to the fact that there's no instant money tree, there's either long term investing, having a lot of capital to invest ideally with insider information or crime.

The need for advice increased a lot due to pension freedoms i.e. there is a lot of baby boomer generation coming up to retirement now who have saved pension into pension pots since a young age. A lot of these people need advice now when they look to access pensions for retirement. Also investing things such as inheritances or people selling business. There is a lot of money out there which needs advice and this is typically the more complicated/higher net worth individuals.

Im withdrawing from P2P so my funds are going between
- Vanguard 50/50 between an simple FTSE 100 tracker and life strategy 60% equity. The FTSE is bad performing right now of course, the life strategy is right now the one I would withdraw if needed, its only a matter of time (in investment terms) until the FTSE spikes up, at that point I may buy and sell. The FTSE for me right now is bad, I only started that in Feb, I bought twice in March when the FTSE dropped looking for the bottom and again a little after when it did bottom. Tricky thing is the delay with vanguard it can be a few days so you cant exactly time it.
Thats for 50% of my investments
The other 50% is split between premium bonds, looking for one of the big wins, low chance but its lottery type odds so may as well put it somewhere the funds wont just be lost vs the actual lottery, they just suffer RPI decay, and government bonds which pay 1.1% roughly now which isn't bad for basically guaranteed deposits. Both these are via NSI. Both these are virtually as good as cash as you can sell and transfer with normal banking timescales.

Soldato
I have a financial advisor that I meet with quarterly. They've helped me out in a few ways. I live in the US so this is slightly different from how things are in the UK:
  1. Helped ensure we maximise usage of tax free / deferred funds, like IRAs.
  2. Helped ensure we've got solid life insurance coverage so that should the worst happen and I'm either injured or killed, my wife and kids aren't going to be struggling and have no risk of eviction. The life insurance is a hybrid one that also includes long term elderly care insurance. It should give us a nice nest egg to cover the cost of care homes, or other forms of additional in-house assistance should my wife and I ever need it once we're retired. He's really helped shake up some foolish notions we had of how well sorted out we were for worst case scenarios.
  3. Organised tax free college funds for the kids. Both kids should get a nice nest egg towards university education should they choose to do that, or a slightly smaller nest egg should they opt not to go in to education (if it's used for non-college expenses they'll have to pay taxes on it.)
  4. Sorted out the retirement plan. It changes from quarter to quarter depending on how investments have gone, but I can see precisely when I'm due to retire (little more than a decade to go, should be retiring in my early 50s, and I'm just on the cusp of 40 now). I had a nice pay rise since we last met. I'm curious to see what happens once we account for that.
  5. Usual Hedge fund type stuff, he helps advise on the portfolio balance, re-organises from time to time. We've some rules about the types of companies we're willing to invest in, usually encompassed by the "ethical" branding on funds, but he's done a lot of research to ensure that we're lined up well for that. We fairly well spread among a number of funds and he keeps a careful eye on underperforming ones. He's also presented some interesting one-off "experimental" investment opportunities, like a Real Estate Investment Trust we bought in to a couple of years ago that focusses on Warehouses. It's a pretty safe market with the increasing growth of e-commerce, and all these self-storage places. It was done as a one-time buy-in, and we've got it just trickling money back in to itself. My wife and I were doing vanguard to some degree, and were great at saving up our money, but absolutely lousy at making it work for us.
  6. Free negotiation services. He loves a good haggle. My wife and I hate haggling. He's haggled down prices on car purchases and other bigger ticket items for us, helped advise on reasonable prices for work around the house and evaluate bids we've had. I'm not certain, but I think he may have saved us as much as we've ever paid him, just via this work alone.
On top of that, there's just the simple value in not having to worry about any of this stuff any more. He advises, we research, and we either go with what he suggests or choose not to. We pay a simple and reasonable annual fee, and he takes a load off our mind.

edit: Oh, one thing we don't do, is any tricks to minimise our tax burden, outside of the standard tax options. There are a lot of perfectly legal tricks we could use to reduce our tax burden further, and he can advise us on a number of them, however we've got this crazy idea about social responsibility. Go figure.

Associate
No but I see how they can add value especially with regards to behavioural finance.

I’m a cheap bar steward so instead listen to Andy Harts Maven Money and Pete Matthew’s Meaningful Money and have learned pretty much all the things I need to do.

The only thing I may need to do is perhaps some tax planning down the line once’s my assets exceed the inheritance tax thresholds.

But in the meantime, for the Mrs and I have set up and manage: LISA, ISA, SIPP, work place pensions, workplace share investment scheme, life insurance (assurance technically), income protection, critical illness and a will. Kids have their junior ISA’s too all.

All investments are currently in either VWRP or Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap.

Hope this post helps.

Associate
Im withdrawing from P2P so my funds are going between
- Vanguard 50/50 between an simple FTSE 100 tracker and life strategy 60% equity. The FTSE is bad performing right now of course, the life strategy is right now the one I would withdraw if needed, its only a matter of time (in investment terms) until the FTSE spikes up, at that point I may buy and sell. The FTSE for me right now is bad, I only started that in Feb, I bought twice in March when the FTSE dropped looking for the bottom and again a little after when it did bottom. Tricky thing is the delay with vanguard it can be a few days so you cant exactly time it.
Thats for 50% of my investments
The other 50% is split between premium bonds, looking for one of the big wins, low chance but its lottery type odds so may as well put it somewhere the funds wont just be lost vs the actual lottery, they just suffer RPI decay, and government bonds which pay 1.1% roughly now which isn't bad for basically guaranteed deposits. Both these are via NSI. Both these are virtually as good as cash as you can sell and transfer with normal banking timescales.

Vanguard is a great self service option. Over the years fees compound and can eat in to returns so a low cost platform like Vanguard is ideal.

But out of interest, why so much exposure to FTSE100? I'm not saying it's wrong, and I do have a little myself, but firstly you will already have some exposure to the same companies through lifestrategy and secondly you are making certain bets on factors you might not realise - eg it is heavily weighted to natural resources and financial services, it has more of a dividend tilt (a factor that is really underperforming at the moment given covid related cashflow issues) and less of a growth tilt, there's very little tech, and you are also going short GBP because it is denominated in GBP but underlying revenues are global in nature. Something to ponder!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
@Theophany I had a call with a Mortgage advisor today to discuss a new move for me and my family. As I haven’t worked (voluntarily) the past 11 months, and my wife is technically unemployed (after her maternity finished earlier this year) but has a couple of firm job offers for part time back on the NHS, consolidated with the fact underwriters are apparently no longer taking rental income into account... they said they could lend me 3k :D

This has put a stopper in our plans and has given me thought I wish to discuss with someone. My quandary:

Do I sell some rental properties now to purchase the house mortgage free? Or is it still better to keep the rental income and I pick up a permie job to facilitate a mortgage? I'm currently working on setting up my own business so my preference is to not tie myself down with office work, perhaps we don't move yet. I don’t know.

Back
Top Bottom