Secret Labs TITAN or Noblechairs HERO?

Associate
The question is simple.

Anywhere I go, I see TITAN rated above this one.

They are both extremely similar chairs, built-in lumbar support.

Same pricetag almost but TITAN has a fabric one which I am more leaned towards.

Which one is comfier and softer? Or which one would you guys deem a better product? If you had either / both - please help provide any sort of input. I see TITAN being rated higher than any Noble Chair product usually.

Last edited:
Associate
They come from the same manufacturer iirc. I'd personally go for the Titan fabric as I'm not a fan of PU Leather. I did hear that the Hero had slightly firmer foam, but I sat in a Titan the other day and it was definitely not soft foam.

Associate
OP
They come from the same manufacturer iirc. I'd personally go for the Titan fabric as I'm not a fan of PU Leather. I did hear that the Hero had slightly firmer foam, but I sat in a Titan the other day and it was definitely not soft foam.
I see. I heard that noble chairs is easier to sea with as it’s a UK company and stuff however. Returning and customer service seems better if there’s issues? But I’d rather a fabric TITAN as that might be the softest material of all.

Soldato
I bought the titan in march just as lockdown hit. Super happy with it so far, would I have been has happy with the hero? probably but the 5 year warranty and at the time (doom wasnt out) better designs and colour options swung it in SL's favour

I suspect most would be happy with either

Associate
If the Hero is anything like the Icon, then you might want to avoid it. Soft definitely isn't a word I would use to describe my icon.

Associate
Just got my hero today and assembled it, first impressions are its not too bad, the bottom is quite firm but not uncomfortable or anything.

Edit: my backside does start to hurt after a little while (been around 5 hours non stop) but am hoping ill get used to it or the seat will soften up

Last edited:
Associate
I don't have the Hero but I've had the NC Epic for a few months and couldn't really be happier with it so far. The base is quite hard, but it's softened just enough to be more comfortable. Apparently they're not designed to be soft? And I just don't weight a lot so there is that... I've got quite a "bony" build so most hard chairs are.painful to sit on, but this is great. The reclining could be easier but again - I just don't weigh enough, anyone else sits in it and it reclines much easier.

UEX

UEX

Associate
I've tried both settled on the Titan. Neither are soft but that is because soft chairs are terrible for posture. If you want a soft chair buy one but you will end up with back problems if used for long periods. Both these chairs are an excellent design and will reduce or eliminate any physical ramifications from sitting at a desk for extended periods. Back health is much more important than plushy comfort.

Soldato
I've tried both settled on the Titan. Neither are soft but that is because soft chairs are terrible for posture. If you want a soft chair buy one but you will end up with back problems if used for long periods. Both these chairs are an excellent design and will reduce or eliminate any physical ramifications from sitting at a desk for extended periods. Back health is much more important than plushy comfort.

This is not true. Soft chairs can be perfectly supportive, they just need it in all the right areas (if your experience is gamer chairs then I am not surprised as lumbar cushions are no substitute for proper lumbar support). You have to watch with statements like these because everyone is different.

I've always had back problems on excessively firm chairs that dig into my back, and never do on soft chairs. They key is that they're designed with foam that won't flatten out completely, and they have a proper back curve to keep you from slouching.

UEX

UEX

Associate
This is not true. Soft chairs can be perfectly supportive, they just need it in all the right areas (if your experience is gamer chairs then I am not surprised as lumbar cushions are no substitute for proper lumbar support). You have to watch with statements like these because everyone is different.

I've always had back problems on excessively firm chairs that dig into my back, and never do on soft chairs. They key is that they're designed with foam that won't flatten out completely, and they have a proper back curve to keep you from slouching.

I suppose you are right I should say 'largely' and not make a blanket assertion. But good supportive chairs will 'typically' not be soft and plush. And soft chairs will 'typically' be poor for posture and back health.

Soldato
I suppose you are right I should say 'largely' and not make a blanket assertion. But good supportive chairs will 'typically' not be soft and plush. And soft chairs will 'typically' be poor for posture and back health.

Yeah, mainly because the standard supportive office chair is designed as a task chair for the workplace, not for something to be used largely at home - so it's not really comfortable for reclined gaming or watching stuff at the desk. And staying upright all the time is also unhealthy, there needs to be a lot of movement.

Some supportive plush chairs exist, but they're not that common so far. I'm seeing more and more come with some basic lumbar support which should stop slouching though, which is a good start.

Last edited:
Associate
Soft chair foam vs hard; good upholstery has soft flocking on top then a layer of soft foam then hard foam underneath for support. So you can have soft comfort combined with support. I'm not sure if the £400 hero or £420 titan have that but they should at the price!

Back to the OP I was going to go for the Hero but I've ordered a cheaper alternative for £240 in the end. Partly because it comes in white which has a higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) which is more important than price to me! Also because the £420 cookies&cream fabric titan will be subject to spillage as I'm a slob that eats at his desk!

Associate
You won’t find either of these in many offices, where people sit for 5-10 hours a day, which should go a long way towards telling you if you’re investing in a firms marketing budget or the long term health effects of the chair.

Soldato
You won’t find either of these in many offices, where people sit for 5-10 hours a day, which should go a long way towards telling you if you’re investing in a firms marketing budget or the long term health effects of the chair.

That's because most office managers are tight and would never entertain the idea of spending £400+ on chairs for the masses when an £80 generic job will do :p

Associate
That's because most office managers are tight and would never entertain the idea of spending £400+ on chairs for the masses when an £80 generic job will do :p

Very true, my MD hadn;t been in the office for what 5 months, so I just went into his office and took his, he complained about it when he came back into the office but I just citied back issues... he bought himself another one, cheap *******. I don't suggest anyone else does this as you are likely to get fired.

Associate

You do realise many office chairs cost far more than that? Because having employees. Claim for back issues and having time off costs far more than a chair

many are £500-1000+ and warranties for 10-15 years

Gaming chairs are cheap metal/ply/cold cured foam. Back support is terrible and that’s why you don’t see them in offices, not the cost you’re paying for their massive marketing spend and in secretlabs case, licensing.

Soldato
You do realise many office chairs cost far more than that? Because having employees. Claim for back issues and having time off costs far more than a chair

many are £500-1000+ and warranties for 10-15 years

Gaming chairs are cheap metal/ply/cold cured foam. Back support is terrible and that’s why you don’t see them in offices, not the cost you’re paying for their massive marketing spend and in secretlabs case, licensing.

I'm well aware of that, but how many offices do you think are full of £500+ chairs (regardless of brand) vs those full of <£100 chairs?

Besides, do you think something like a Herman miller actually costs £1000+ to produce? Of course not, it's still marketing you're paying for

Associate
I'm well aware of that, but how many offices do you think are full of £500+ chairs (regardless of brand) vs those full of <£100 chairs?

Besides, do you think something like a Herman miller actually costs £1000+ to produce? Of course not, it's still marketing you're paying for

Except HM doesn’t have to do that much marketing, and you don’t have to pay HM prices to get chairs that are good for your back.
Obviously smaller businesses will use cheap chairs, medium and larger will use corporate contracts and can assure you that almost none of those will use Secretlabs etc because they are not good for you, and massively overpriced.

yes HM won’t cost £1000 to produce, obviously that isn’t how business works, but compare the quality of a decent office chair that costs the same as a secretlabs and it’s light years ahead, secretlabs are essentially not much beyond and arguably worse than a £50-100 chair as it’s just cheap materials and people pay for the looks and brand. There is a reason that brands like HM can resell many years later for still prices like £300-500 and it isn’t marketing. How many 10 year old secretlabs chairs do you think there will be selling for anything beyond £20 or so? There won’t be any around that time because they’re cheaply made and low quality. I’d a £70 chair would do for an office, they’re not going to pay £400 off for one that’s as good as that £70 chair but costs £400 and lasts 2 years on average, probably less.

again, the reason offices aren’t full of secretlabs chairs is absolutely nothing to do with the cost of secretlabs and everything to do with the quality of the product and what it’s used for. Health and safety claims would be through the roof if people uses them for task chairs, and businesses want long warranties or service contracts, neither of which SL etc offer, in fact they actively fake reviews, use bots in Reddit to AstroTurf and try to get out of warranties as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom