DIY wooden office chair

Associate
I've seen all sorts of custom made PC-related parts, including desks, but I don't recall seeing any chairs before. Here's mine:

side.jpg

Standard office chair base, including very nice Vertagear casters from OCUK. I made the seat and back using aluminium extrusions, plywood panels, and oak for the sides. I got someone else to make the cushions, because there's no way I would want to do that much sewing myself.

A couple more views:

back.jpg

front.jpg

The best part of it is the purple anodized washers:

holes.jpg

If you're really bored, there are some details of how I made it on my website.

Associate
That looks better than I imagined before I opened the thread. Well done!

I CBA to make one myself though TBH! The front of the seat looks like it could potentially dig into the legs. I'm a fan of the 'waterfall' front and I'm not sure if you can replicate that in DIY.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

...The front of the seat looks like it could potentially dig into the legs...
I generally sit with my feet on a footstool, so it wouldn't be a problem for me even if it did dig in.

...I'm a fan of the 'waterfall' front and I'm not sure if you can replicate that in DIY.
Anything is possible! An obvious and simple way of doing it would be to get a cushion that's longer than the seat, and let it flop out over the front. Another, neater way might be one that I considered before building this chair: Instead of making the seat out of a flat sheet of wood, make it out of multiple parallel tubes, each individually bolted to the sides. The relative position of each tube can be varied to form arbitrary curves. I didn't go with that plan because it would have taken a lot of drilling holes to iterate the shape of the curve until it was right. Maybe if the sides were made of something like pegboard then prototyping would be quicker...

Associate
I like it, you did a good job, not many can say they designed the chair they're sitting in.

The design looks looks you could easily add or replace cushions even if it did dig in at the front, but stiff enough padding it looks like it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom