Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I've ordered a new desk for myself, so I'm aiming to dust off my old painting gear.

Was thinking of painting myself some of my favourite Blood Angels, to dip my toe.
1st question, what's all this Primaris stuff?
I want to get some plain and boring tactical marines, 5 man squad, but I can't seem to find any?
For colour guides, is the GW painting app still the way to go?
Since my paints getting on a bit, Lahmian Medium should bring them back to life?

It's basically something to do with GW and their IP no matter how they try to explain Primaris change in lore. They couldn't TM Space Marine so they are ditching for Primaris marines which are basically space marines roided off their ****.

They are bigger, tougher and an improvement on space marines (both in lore and on the table) but they are currently less tactically flexible (again in lore and on table) so you don't have tactical squads anymore. Equivalent is probably an Intercessor squad though they don't/can't have a heavy or special weapon alongside the new bolt rifles. Maybe one day when the range is more developed you may see changes but for now each squad type has a very specific role.

If you are buying to paint only get whatever you want but realise over time it will get tougher and tougher to get "old" marines. If you want to eventually play a game probably go Primaris though I gather a lot of tournament play still uses a lot of old marines such as Chaplin dreadnoughts and smash captains etc.

Tl;DR, GW are greedy and want it all to themselves so players need to spend even more money and the lore around it is just BS justification to support a money grab.

Soldato
Was so hot yesterday, I have to spray on the undercoat by moonlight.
Had to wait for the temperature to get below 25 oC as per the spray can instructions.

Soldato
Belatedly had a second AoS match between myself and @Pookie Bear using my stormcast against his Khorne army.
Early doors it looked although I was on for hiding though I managed to make it respectable before losing.
The Slaughterpriests are, IMO, massively OP in that they can chuck out prayers (spells with another name) with relatively easy success roles for a lot of damage. Before any melee combat 2 Slaughterpriests reduced my 2 sequitor squads to one and two man left respectively with no a ability to stop them :p that early casting put me in a huge hole i was never able to get out of.
Good game though, and already know how to counter those Slaughterpriests for next time, I will ensure they are slaughtered themselves early doors.
As a general point priests in general and their ability to cast extremely useful abilities which are unblockable is pretty nuts especially when they are offensive abilities (d6 mortal wounds on 4+ with a re roll if you fail :p)
Looking forward to game three though :)
This is one of the things I love about AoS - despite it looking pretty comfortable for Khorne with the early double-turn, it was never really certain. In the end, my control of the table meant you couldn't really get the points back to challenge my lead. We both made a few tactical errors with our deployment which made a substantial difference in my opinion. It was good fun though!

The star of the show was definitely the Slaughterpriests - but let's not forget they did plenty of damage to themselves, and they failed to produce most of Khorne's judgments. That they also murdered your Sequitors in close combat was a little surprising. Khorne does have a few units which can cause absolute mayhem, but most of mine were off on a flank where they came in almost useless.

We'll see how effective your counters are next time :D

Associate
Ooo, as this thread notified me again, see today's announcement of new 40k codex books incoming already, with more changes.

Unexpected, unsurprising, but welcome. Rules need a consolidation again already :p

Soldato
Been slowly working on my guys

Zkn3RUh.jpg

Wish I took the time slowly shade the recesses, but I got a bit frustrated, said "**** this!" and washed the whole model. :mad:
Think the 1st models ready for some Evil Sunz Scarlet highlighting.

Soldato
Finished off the Stormcast Eternal Castigators I started a while back, not enjoyed these as much as I did the Nighthaunt models but trying to 'discipline' myself into painting one unit of each before I start the next, so I get two similarly sized armies progressing at the same time. I think with these i'm going to end up taking more of a 'just get it painted' approach and focus on the special models for spending time on. These look OK even though I just went rough and ready on them, so i'll be happy enough with that for most of the rank and file units.

od4SqhW.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
What's been going on?

Basically with the new ed and the new space marine releases they've become ridiculous. Even more so with the previews from the new codex. Nobody can touch them.

This became even more hilarious when GW had an '8 units to help you kill marines' article on their website...1 of which was marines. 3 more of which were chaos marine units.

The new heavy intercessors for example...

T5 W3. Can have a squad of 10. In the devestator doctrine are at 3AP S5 D2. So they're wounding most battle tanks and Knights on a 5 and giving them a 6+ save. Potentially 20 damage. Or switch to another weapon option for them and it's only AP2 but rapid fire 1. So 40 damage at AP2...oh and they're a troops choice.

Soldato
Basically with the new ed and the new space marine releases they've become ridiculous. Even more so with the previews from the new codex. Nobody can touch them.

This became even more hilarious when GW had an '8 units to help you kill marines' article on their website...1 of which was marines. 3 more of which were chaos marine units.

The new heavy intercessors for example...

T5 W3. Can have a squad of 10. In the devestator doctrine are at 3AP S5 D2. So they're wounding most battle tanks and Knights on a 5 and giving them a 6+ save. Potentially 20 damage. Or switch to another weapon option for them and it's only AP2 but rapid fire 1. So 40 damage at AP2...oh and they're a troops choice.

Ah! I tend to miss out on all that kinda stuff, I'm still painting things lol.

Soldato
Not for me to defend GW, but is this not typical power creep with new releases?

Having a strong SM faction makes sense from a sales point of view for GW (as I imagine their the most popular faction), even if they do slowly rein them in, codex by codex. And by the time 10th Edition comes along, they'll be where they were pre-9th? I say that knowing very little about how SMs were doing before the new edition - I only collect and paint 40k. Playing remains AoS only - even if only against @No1newts D

Caporegime
Not for me to defend GW, but is this not typical power creep with new releases?

Having a strong SM faction makes sense from a sales point of view for GW (as I imagine their the most popular faction), even if they do slowly rein them in, codex by codex. And by the time 10th Edition comes along, they'll be where they were pre-9th? I say that knowing very little about how SMs were doing before the new edition - I only collect and paint 40k. Playing remains AoS only - even if only against @No1newts D

It's above and beyond power-creep. PA and the supplements already had them winning every tournament at the end of 8th. This is a whole new realm of nutty! Literally no army can come close. Take the Repulsor Executioner. Str 12. Min 4 damage. Shoots twice. That's better than weapons on knights and superheavies!

Back
Top Bottom