• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Wow if that 67fps is true and I have no reason to doubt it but that is shocking really for 1440p and with DLSS enabled also, looking like it's still not a ray tracing card even with there advertised double RT cores.

Next couple of days will be interesting when more get leaked but no wonder they don't want any YouTubers to let loose lol.

Associate
i dont know why DLSS is being made a RTX and DX12 exclusive option.. it is just a neural model that maps a low resolution image to its high resolution counterpart.. thats got nothing to do with raytracing.. nvidia is just making a mistake here by being so exclusive.. or maybe their neural model doesnt scale across games, each game requires a separate model... and which is why they have been suggesting unnecessary compatibility requirements to avoid work..

Man of Honour
Yes thats how its going to be, especially the 2% minimum fps will be so bad that it wont make any sense.
If you ask me, raytracing the way it has been applied by DX12 is a passing fad.. the real application of raytracing is the ability to perform mathematically accurate scene culling.. in future, the scene complexity will be so high that the precise culling performed by raytracing will save processing efforts higher up the rendering pipeline and thus generate greater performance than rasterization approach..
the way it has been deployed in DX12, is just a special effect.. all those special effects can be mimicked without raytracing and most folks playing a fast paced FPS might not even notice the difference
so, just buy a card for traditional raster performance.. i seriously doubt that the level of scene complexity for raytracing to make sense, will be reached in the foreseeable future

Not all RT effects can be effectively mimicked with rasterisation - especially not full scene versus screen space and some of the hybrid results using voxels are low resolution and/or low range and/or missing many elements from the scene. When you have a game doing accurate capture of indirect light on surfaces, etc. the difference is huge especially if the game has a full GI solution but until people see it for themselves they aren't going to appreciate it.

Soldato
are the hiding something springs to mind lol.

Yes, the normal rendering performance on non-rtx games is what we haven't seen.

I'm all for new tech and all we've seen so far is how much better at RTX and DLSS these new cards are, which isnt for many games. WHat is the performance uplift of these crads that dont use RTX & DLSS? That's what I want to see. Reckon some folk picked up some cheap 2080ti's in all this hype may have done very well if the 3000 series isnt the dream we'd all hoped.

Associate
Not all RT effects can be effectively mimicked with rasterisation - especially not full scene versus screen space and some of the hybrid results using voxels are low resolution and/or low range and/or missing many elements from the scene. When you have a game doing accurate capture of indirect light on surfaces, etc. the difference is huge especially if the game has a full GI solution but until people see it for themselves they aren't going to appreciate it.

having seen it first hand my subjective opinion is that it is incremental at best.. i would have rather liked to see revolutionary breakthroughs in character and story AI that would have made 'write your own story as you play' scenario possible... but the processing power, if you ask me, is being wasted on a special effect..

though i am not an expert to comment on whether there are hacks for out of scene reflections and indirect illumination with rasterization (was thinking of reading a book or two but could never find the time, interesting topic as it is), can only hypothesise that some tricks should be possible, it wont be able to provide an accurate RT render but it should be able to trick the human eye into some kind of an optical illusion

Caporegime
Wow if that 67fps is true and I have no reason to doubt it but that is shocking really for 1440p and with DLSS enabled also, looking like it's still not a ray tracing card even with there advertised double RT cores.

Next couple of days will be interesting when more get leaked but no wonder they don't want any YouTubers to let loose lol.

Anyone who thinks they are getting consistent 60fps with RT on in next gen games with this
from the hype I was expecting a lot more than wot my eyes are seeing. this wont be the 4k card is was hoping it would be..

Anyone who thinks they could play next gen games at max, 4k with RT on and 60fps with this generation of gpus is a bit misguided. The 2080ti struggles in current gen games and is way off 60fps at 4k with rt on in some games . The 3080 , and probably even the 3090 isn't going to pull it off in next gen games with all the bells and whistles.

Back
Top Bottom