Hamilton hatred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Lewis is still my favourite driver. I would rather athletes / celebrities not use it as a platform for political views but unfortunately it seems to be the way now so I just ignore it.
It isn't politics though and I don't know why people badge it that, though can see where the confusion lies, it's about basic human rights.

Caporegime
I really dont understand why people are so against sports stars voicing their opinion on political ideas/human rights issues.

What happens if you disagree with what is written on a sport star's t-shirt it? Nothing. Nothing happens. You are free to disagree and can just happily get on with your day.

Soldato
I really dont understand why people are so against sports stars voicing their opinion on political ideas/human rights issues.

What happens if you disagree with what is written on a sport star's t-shirt it? Nothing. Nothing happens. You are free to disagree and can just happily get on with your day.

Because it has absolutely nothing to do with Sport. People tune in to watch F1, not be preached to about the latest issue in America. It has NOTHING to do with F1.

So glad F1 are finally looking into Hamilton's t-shirt/propaganda.

If he wants to make these silly protests he can stick to doing it on social media.

Soldato
Because it has absolutely nothing to do with Sport. People tune in to watch F1, not be preached to about the latest issue in America. It has NOTHING to do with F1.

So glad F1 are finally looking into Hamilton's t-shirt/propaganda.

If he wants to make these silly protests he can stick to doing it on social media.

So basically he should only protest where the people who can hear it are the people who already want to listen?

That somewhat defeats the object of protest statements I think, normally the idea is to make people listen who don't want to listen. Otherwise it's not so much protesting as talking to an echo chamber, which won't do anything to cause change.

Soldato
So basically he should only protest where the people who can hear it are the people who already want to listen?

That somewhat defeats the object of protest statements I think, normally the idea is to make people listen who don't want to listen. Otherwise it's not so much protesting as talking to an echo chamber, which won't do anything to cause change.

You've answered your own question really, if people don't want to listen then they won't listen. simple.

Soldato
You've answered your own question really, if people don't want to listen then they won't listen. simple.

Exactly, so what's the problem? Just don't listen.

But by using his platform as one of the most successful F1 drivers ever he may be able to get his message to reach thousands or even millions more people. They might not listen either, but he shouldn't be shut down from his speech just because he happens to be saying it whilst he's at the racing.

Caporegime
So what does it have to do with F1?

Nothing. But I don't know why it has to?

If the FIA explicitly want to ban any political messages, then im happy with that as long as it is fairly applied and we see no more political connections whatsoever. That us their perogative .

Likewise, I really couldn't care less that Lewis wants to use his platform to reach a wide audience with what he feels is an important human rights issue. I just don't see why him wearing that t shirt bothers you?

Soldato
If the FIA explicitly want to ban any political messages, then im happy with that as long as it is fairly applied and we see no more political connections whatsoever. That us their perogative.

Quite. I wouldn't say that I think that's the right approach but if that's the way they want to go I won't be complaining either - i'm sure if they do they'll get plenty of backlash regardless.

Soldato
He can care about whatever he wants, just keep it out of sport. Politics has no place in sport.

In your opinion. Which is worth just as much or little as anyone elses opinion frankly.

Unfortunately 'politics' pervades every facet of our lives, whether or not it's the politics of race, trying to pretend it doesn't exist or belong in certain places is futile in my opinion, but there you go, i'm sure you disagree.

Are we now back at the beginning of the circle where you say 'It doesn't belong here', we ask why, and the answer is 'because it doesn't' and then we repeat?

Permabanned
He could do what Bansky the vandal did and buy a ship but instead of picking up immigrants in the channel he could set sail with Gary Lineker onboard to China and anchor blocking a harbour and tell them to get a grip on human rights.

I wonder how that work out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom