Adaptive cruise...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Ah ok, at the moment I just override it with the throttle but I'll try just giving it a tap.

That is a pain, I find it is reacting to the car you are approaching the back of. The only way to avoid that is to pull out earlier but you have to do so with the correct gap left which probably annoys other drivers.

Fixed

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

interesting, even for a car, it would be nice if the system callibrated itself from braking efficiency it had measured from that trip+road conditions.
or, even allowed you to set the distance, relative to a car ahead, wolfie can set it to it's back seat.

That's been in place for a while now - it's part of the ESP system. It collects data on brake pressure and acceleration/deceleration so it knows how much brake pressure (which varies with weight etc) is needed at any one time to slow the car - this data is used in the adaptive cruise control among many other system. My Mondeo from 2011 has this system.

Soldato
OP
I know that VW has a system that can come to a full stop etc, but in my rental Golf (and a colleague's Leon) it wouldn't do that, so might be an extra 'pack' you have to spec.
Tried it in the new car today, a Tiguan Allspace, and it did come to a full stop and start off again all by itself. Afaik it's 'just' standard ACC, with lane assist.

Soldato
OP
Does it have 'traffic jam assist'?
Not sure, I don't think Tiguans on the UK market have it enabled. Apparently (according to the Tiguan forums) if the lane assist lines change to orange below 67kph (41mph) you don't so I'll try it out tomorrow morning if I remember.

Last edited:
Associate
Love the adpative CC in mine, had it since June and have done a few longish journeys where I have not touched the pedals for 95% of the journey. Speed sign recognition works a treat so as the speed limit changes the car slows down or speeds up as required. Will fully stop when it needs to, turn engine off, then go again with no intervention needed at all.

Certainly makes long monotonous motorway journeys more relaxing, coupled with a bit of a massage it's great!

Associate
I confess to being one of the tossers who enjoys testing autopilot beyond it's intended purpose. (lots of quiet roads near me) Enjoyable to see it improve (and degrade in some respects) other time.

If there is a car in front it's easy, as you can just track their speed, but empty curvy roads are the harder test for CC. The car has got a lot better over the last year at stuff like twisty highlands b roads. Lane keeping is getting better but still reliant on good paint and no parked cars.

On motorways makes 300 mile trips almost pleasurable .

mjt

mjt

Soldato
BMW should move away from cameras for their ACC. It cuts out all the time for no reason on my i3, and often brakes for things which aren't in the way.
In contrast, my Golf never had any issues.

Soldato
BMW should move away from cameras for their ACC. It cuts out all the time for no reason on my i3, and often brakes for things which aren't in the way.
In contrast, my Golf never had any issues.

It's only the i3 and Mini that use the camera system, the rest of range use radar. It's not too bad on the Mini although I've had it brake when going into a parking space at a normal speed.

Soldato
You need a combo of camera and radar for TACC no? Otherwise how do you deal with cars cutting in and out?

It uses the camera the same way the driver would see cars cutting across. I've not had the bumper off so it might be hiding behind it but the radar sensor is visible on all the bigger models I doubt they would go to the hassle of just having a hidden one on the Mini/i3

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It uses the camera the same way the driver would see cars cutting across. I've not had the bumper off so it might be hiding behind it but the radar sensor is visible on all the bigger models I doubt they would go to the hassle of just having a hidden one on the Mini/i3
I'd be amazed if there's a radar on the i3 because it turns off when it rains :mad:

Soldato
Love the adpative CC in mine, had it since June and have done a few longish journeys where I have not touched the pedals for 95% of the journey. Speed sign recognition works a treat so as the speed limit changes the car slows down or speeds up as required. Will fully stop when it needs to, turn engine off, then go again with no intervention needed at all.

Certainly makes long monotonous motorway journeys more relaxing, coupled with a bit of a massage it's great!

My Focus has got speed limit recognition via a camera in the windscreen, and I know on the newer iteration of the Focus (I'm Mk3.5, Mk4 has the better stuff) one can have the car automatically move the car's speed limiter to the new limit (or +5mph for example). However, I've find that too often the car reads speed limits from side roads, especially if the sign has been hit and twisted it more towards the road, and that's sometimes a 30 limit side road on a 60/NSL road that I'm travelling on. I'm not sure how the car or I would react if I'm travelling at 60mph on the limiter and it suddenly dropped to 30mph.

It could just be that the system on my Focus is pants too, of course... :p

Associate
My Focus has got speed limit recognition via a camera in the windscreen, and I know on the newer iteration of the Focus (I'm Mk3.5, Mk4 has the better stuff) one can have the car automatically move the car's speed limiter to the new limit (or +5mph for example). However, I've find that too often the car reads speed limits from side roads, especially if the sign has been hit and twisted it more towards the road, and that's sometimes a 30 limit side road on a 60/NSL road that I'm travelling on. I'm not sure how the car or I would react if I'm travelling at 60mph on the limiter and it suddenly dropped to 30mph.

It could just be that the system on my Focus is pants too, of course... :p

Yes, I know what you mean, that's happened to me a couple of times, there is a section of road near me which is a 50mph dual carriageway but it is running parallel to a 30mph road (just with a railing separating them). I've got a Merc and it's super quick to override when it has happened.

Soldato
Yes, I know what you mean, that's happened to me a couple of times, there is a section of road near me which is a 50mph dual carriageway but it is running parallel to a 30mph road (just with a railing separating them). I've got a Merc and it's super quick to override when it has happened.
Heh, had two incidents last weekend where my Focus read 10mph from a partially-obscured 40mph sign, and then read a 100mph a bit further down the road.

Back on topic - I yearned for adaptive cruise on said trip up to Leeds from Liverpool last weekend. I was set to 70 mph (or 50mph in the average speed) but because most people either don't use their cruise control or are just generally pants at holding speed, it got slightly annoying to be constantly catching up with a car, pulling out a lane and then they speed up anyway!!

One final bug-bear on my Focus is also that if I change the units to kilometres, the digital speedo, odo etc all change to km but the cruise control and speed limiter are stuck on mph. What a stupid idea.

Associate
Tested the new tesla sign recognition for first time today and it seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure how they got around the Intel patents that power pretty much every other car's sign recognition, but it seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom