• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI

Soldato
What a shambles, Selling literally everything that was ours. Rolls Royce in Germany, ARM and literally every snack or thing i like or love they are foreign owned. Theres so much stuff its retarded. The service economy is also retarded. Infact id go as far to say Nvidia are lookig at the UK now and also in agreement at our retardation.

The jobs thing? They will at a later date be moved to America once people forget about it they will pull the rug out. Next up NHS! Even if they deny it!

I don’t disagree, but arm sold to SoftBank in 2016 which is a Japanese company... so they were already foreign owned.

Permabanned
Not really - well not if we had stayed in Europe - we were uniquely positioned to leverage it to our advantage. Brexit undoes a lot of that.

Agree with the selling off of everything though it is so incredibly short sighted but the people doing it don't give a **** about the long term of this country and neither do most of the population so I guess they get what they deserve.

A manufacturing base is vastly superior though right? Look at Germany a lot of products i buy come from Germany because they have a lot of engineering and manufacturing. Britain used to be a world leader and now its basically service economy and sell everything off.

Were going to regret this big time one day i think, Britain needs an income and to sell things the world wants like ARM. But they just sell sell sell because someone wants to die rich now where as this is vital for the future prosperity of Britain.

1900-1980 i think we saw a golden age of what Brits could do but since then its gone downhill in my eyes. I keep coming back to my daily life and the thingw i buy and as i said its all German or foreign stuff. We seem to not make anythint anymore.

Man of Honour
A manufacturing base is vastly superior though right? Look at Germany a lot of products i buy come from Germany because they have a lot of engineering and manufacturing. Britain used to be a world leader and now its basically service economy and sell everything off.

Were going to regret this big time one day i think, Britain needs an income and to sell things the world wants like ARM. But they just sell sell sell because someone wants to die rich now where as this is vital for the future prosperity of Britain.

1900-1980 i think we saw a golden age of what Brits could do but since then its gone downhill in my eyes. I keep coming back to my daily life and the thingw i buy and as i said its all German or foreign stuff. We seem to not make anythint anymore.

Regardless of which is superior ultimately other countries have become competitive in the manufacturing industry sector, able to manufacture stuff cheaper amongst other factors - both the UK and Germany saw huge decline in those areas and that was always going to happen, despite some short sightedness in the UK hastening and/or expanding how much of the industry saw a decline. Germany has a natural advantage in certain sectors of manufacturing where it can't easily be replaced by other countries hence it hasn't seen the same level of decline.

We ain't going back to the days of the same level of manufacturing industry so the blind destruction of our natural advantage in the services sector with stuff like Brexit is just pants on head levels of retarded - we are/were uniquely positioned in that industry especially because of London so it makes no sense to level the playing field with other countries so they can take away some of our trade there which otherwise they wouldn't have had a hope in hell of pulling away from us.

I appreciate there are some areas of the country that haven't seen the benefits of the services industry the same as others but they are going to hurt the more with the country having less income to work with and a lot of those issues come down to domestic political ones.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Regardless of which is superior ultimately other countries have become competitive in the manufacturing industry sector, able to manufacture stuff cheaper amongst other factors - both the UK and Germany saw huge decline in those areas and that was always going to happen, despite some short sightedness in the UK hastening and/or expanding how much of the industry saw a decline. Germany has a natural advantage in certain sectors of manufacturing where it can't easily be replaced by other countries hence it hasn't seen the same level of decline.

We ain't going back to the days of the same level of manufacturing industry so the blind destruction of our natural advantage in the services sector with stuff like Brexit is just pants on head levels of retarded - we are/were uniquely positioned in that industry especially because of London so it makes no sense to level the playing field with other countries so they can take away some of our trade there which otherwise they wouldn't have had a hope in hell of pulling away from us.

I appreciate there are some areas of the country that haven't seen the benefits of the services industry the same as others but they are going to hurt the more with the country having less income to work with and a lot of those issues come down to domestic political ones.

What happens when someone else can offer the services at a competive price though? The difference with things like ARM is no one can work towards dethroning something like that because they need to invent it first and get past trademarks and patents. What advantage does service economy have or what protections? Surely someone will eventually rival and take it away? And anyways manufacturing as you also said benefits small towns and sometimes average workers

The service economy to me basically means high skill Londoners, Theres no way i would put any eggs in that basket. Also just had a wee sandwich too, Again my HP is now made in the Netherlands yet was a British icon for me. Top sauce in the UK yet foreign owned and made in Holland. :D

Man of Honour
What happens when someone else can offer the services at a competive price though? The difference with things like ARM is no one can work towards dethroning something like that because they need to invent it first and get past trademarks and patents. What advantage does service economy have or what protections? Surely someone will eventually rival and take it away? And anyways manufacturing as you also said benefits small towns and sometimes average workers

The service economy to me basically means high skill Londoners, Theres no way i would put any eggs in that basket. Also just had a wee sandwich too, Again my HP is now made in the Netherlands yet was a British icon for me. Top sauce in the UK yet foreign owned and made in Holland. :D

When it comes to services there is more than just price involved - we had access to the EU, access to the US, etc. combined with the strength of the UK on the world stage and the stability this country could offer - a unique position along with a reputation/tradition in those areas which isn't easily replaced just by offering the service cheaper. Strategically we were well placed to hold onto those industries.

The lack of protection for British brands though hasn't helped in the long run at all.

Associate
Good news that Nvidia will keep investing in the UK. Maybe it's a result of all the new opportunities Brexit brings.
Most EU economies are a joke, just look at their unemployment rates.

Nvidia have made this statement in the hopes of seeing off UK Watchdogs and prevent UK Gov blocking the sale.

The minute the deal goes through, Nvidia will get out of this commitment as soon as they can.

Associate
SoftBank seems to have serious cash flow issues, to have done that

Conspiracy theory: Nvidia have long wanted to acquire ARM but knew they would face a tough time from regulators due to their market dominant position. Jensen devised the following plan to overcome this.

Step 1 - Softbank buys ARM with the intention of selling it to Nvidia, thus allowing Nvidia to circumvent competition regulators and other restrictions.
Step 2 - Softbank sells stake in Nvidia to remove any appearance of conflict of interest.
Step 3 - Sell ARM to Nvidia and gets their stake in the company back in options once the sale goes through.

All tinfoil hat stuff but intriguing nonetheless and we wouldn't put it past Jensen :p

Associate
Jesus I hope this doesn't go the way of Imagination...

It doesn't really fit the mould of Apple and Imagination at least. NVidia are far more likely to properly develop and leverage ARM IP.

Have to say though, the original sale of ARM to Softbank was so typical of the British. I work in engineering and nothing is protected. Sell it off for a quick buck and screw those to come.

Soldato
Dont get why nvidia paid so much for a company from which they already licence tech from. Nothing more to gain if you can just licence what you need. They wont even have the power to revoke licences from other companies so its just taking on debt.
I just dont get it??

Associate
Dont get why nvidia paid so much for a company from which they already licence tech from. Nothing more to gain if you can just licence what you need. They wont even have the power to revoke licences from other companies so its just taking on debt.
I just dont get it??

They would be closely collaborating on areas not present on the roadmaps of ARM's clientele. This would entail 2 way IP/idea sharing which can be better managed within one legal entity. Something should be up on SeekingAlpha or you will have wait for the nVidia's next 10-Q announcement.

nVidia should also be immediately concerned about Apple's long-term response because they avoid nVidia like the plague.

Associate
It was very funny to read the comments of the clearly clueless co founder of ARM Hermann Hauser state the deal to sell ARM to nVidia is like 'the equivalent to letting Trump getting his hands on Trident'. Obviously without realising Trump does have his hands on it because it's an American made missile, by Lockheed Martin.

Soldato
It was very funny to read the comments of the clearly clueless co founder of ARM Hermann Hauser state the deal to sell ARM to nVidia is like 'the equivalent to letting Trump getting his hands on Trident'. Obviously without realising Trump does have his hands on it because it's an American made missile, by Lockheed Martin.

It really isn't funny, and not for the triviality you mention.It's truly a shame to see a crown jewel of intellectual property, from a true British global leader, to be so easily plucked by a multinational.

Although the way things are heading "Global Britain" feels more like a global firesale.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom