Golf Thread

Associate
Anyone got much experience with PlayMoreGolf? Tempted by it to hopefully pay less for green fees given I may be moving soon.
I've been looking into this too, seems like a good idea for the more casual golfer like myself - I've played 4/5 times this month so spent over £100 on green fees which is quite a big outlay.

Problem is my local course is under threat of being sold off for housing, so I'm reluctant to commit to a full membership.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thoiughts on mixing shafts but same model club? I have some second hand clubs with graphite shafts, missing the gap wedge, but can find a couple of same model, just with steel shafts.

Permabanned
Thoiughts on mixing shafts but same model club? I have some second hand clubs with graphite shafts, missing the gap wedge, but can find a couple of same model, just with steel shafts.

I think the rule of thumb should always be do what works for you. If it's graphite irons and steel wedges it's probably not that much of an issue, but mixing steel and graphite within the same type of club would be a hard no for me just because the consistency wouldn't be there.

Soldato
Got a mizuno mp 20 hmb 4 iron today with project x rife flighted reg flex. Hit it well at the range.
It is a thing of beauty, would love the set but they're a pretty penny

Soldato
Got a mizuno mp 20 hmb 4 iron today with project x rife flighted reg flex. Hit it well at the range.
It is a thing of beauty, would love the set but they're a pretty penny

I had a set of Mp-60 mizuno's way back in the day - Agree - beautiful irons, if hit out the middle - nothing feels like a mizuno.....

If not out the middle- brutal with little/no help.....7 iron up to PW they were great - under that the head was so small it was scary!! Loved them and hated them in equal measures!!:p

Soldato
Was a bit sad takin it out of the wrapper. I hit mostly of the face which was alright , some dead middle some around the middle. Think I hit one or two from heel and

Soldato
Had a 2nd driver fitting yesterday (didn't want to spend big money without double checking) the fitting was with a pro i've had lessons off before. Fitted for the Cobra sz Extreme at 10.5 with hazahous smoke 5.5 flex. Traded in various clubs i don't use so got it for £200.
Went and played golf after (without my new driver as i have a 3 week wait) hit 93 which i was happy about. 22 over par and i play off 30. his 92 the other week and then had a couple of really bad rounds in-between. My mizuno 4 iron was good, used it once out of the rough to keep the ball low under some trees and once of the t to try reaching a 190 yard uphill par 3 , i got to the front of the green which i was happy with as i'm normally short.

Associate
Thought I was getting the hang of it all and all it went god awfully wrong at the range yesterday, going to try again tomorrow and book a lesson if needs be.

Soldato
Thought I was getting the hang of it all and all it went god awfully wrong at the range yesterday, going to try again tomorrow and book a lesson if needs be.
I've found the range can break my game a little, prefer putting or chipping practice. If i go to the range and hit decent shots i leave the range happy and confident but if i go and start duffing a few it puts me in a **** mindset for my next game with the feeling off oh god i'm going to get a really high score. I guess as you get better that mindset may go but me at my level the range can really make me anxious for the next round off golf.

Put my name down for next weekends medal, need to get more confident with that side of the game, don't really like joining 2 people in a 3 balls ont he thing that they may know each other and i'll be odd out or join with low hcp players in case they kind of think oh what is this guy doing lol
It shouldn't really bother me as i like meeting people just the before round. I shouldn't check peoples hcp really and just join an available slot.

Soldato
I've just got back from a weekend playing golf in Devon. I couldn't have picked a better weekend in terms of weather, but unfortunately my game wasn't up to scratch. I normally go round about 12-18 over, depending on whether my game is clicking or not, but over the weekend my best round was 20 over and my worst was 26 over :eek:

Admittedly I played some tougher courses than I'm used to, but I was still pretty disappointed with the way I played. When I was a higher handicap golfer I used to slice the ball when I played badly, so that's the shot shape I'm normally scared of, but over the weekend I was fighting a hook, something I've never struggled with before, and even hit a couple of pull hooks. I'll normally get round 18 without losing a ball, whereas over the weekend I lost 8 balls :(

I'm going to book myself in for a couple of lessons with my local pro to try to fix the problem. On a good day golf is the best sport on the planet, but on a bad day it can feel like the worst lol.

Permabanned
I've just got back from a weekend playing golf in Devon. I couldn't have picked a better weekend in terms of weather, but unfortunately my game wasn't up to scratch. I normally go round about 12-18 over, depending on whether my game is clicking or not, but over the weekend my best round was 20 over and my worst was 26 over :eek:

Admittedly I played some tougher courses than I'm used to, but I was still pretty disappointed with the way I played. When I was a higher handicap golfer I used to slice the ball when I played badly, so that's the shot shape I'm normally scared of, but over the weekend I was fighting a hook, something I've never struggled with before, and even hit a couple of pull hooks. I'll normally get round 18 without losing a ball, whereas over the weekend I lost 8 balls :(

I'm going to book myself in for a couple of lessons with my local pro to try to fix the problem. On a good day golf is the best sport on the planet, but on a bad day it can feel like the worst lol.

Where did you play? If you did RND or Saunton cut yourself some slack, they can be incredibly cruel. Ask me how I know. :p

Associate
Had a 2nd driver fitting yesterday (didn't want to spend big money without double checking) the fitting was with a pro i've had lessons off before. Fitted for the Cobra sz Extreme at 10.5 with hazahous smoke 5.5 flex. Traded in various clubs i don't use so got it for £200.
Went and played golf after (without my new driver as i have a 3 week wait) hit 93 which i was happy about. 22 over par and i play off 30. his 92 the other week and then had a couple of really bad rounds in-between. My mizuno 4 iron was good, used it once out of the rough to keep the ball low under some trees and once of the t to try reaching a 190 yard uphill par 3 , i got to the front of the green which i was happy with as i'm normally short.

I went for a fitting this weekend as well, quite an eye opening experience.

it’s apparent my current clubs are not quite fit for purpose and the fitter is suggesting the new Project X LS 6.5 flex for my irons. I am likely going to use my current heads.

3 wood was ridiculous, it went about 30yards further then my current but the ideal shaft costs £375 (Aldila Rogue Black 70g TX) with a Cobra Head cost on top. I can’t justify the cost at the moment, so will ask for a less exotic option

The Driver we just left - while I have some suggestions, reality was my swing was not good enough. The fitter, who was excellent, was very open and honest about it so will come back to that when my mechanics improve.

The Cobra heads were lovely though, so can understand you being happy at the fit.

Soldato
Where did you play? If you did RND or Saunton cut yourself some slack, they can be incredibly cruel. Ask me how I know. :p

We played East Devon (where he's a member) and then Teignmouth as both are only a half hour drive from where he lives Northeast of Exeter. I'd have loved to play Saunton and RND as they are right at the top of the list of courses I've been recommended in that area, but they were a fair old distance to go from where we were.

Soldato
I went for a fitting this weekend as well, quite an eye opening experience.

it’s apparent my current clubs are not quite fit for purpose and the fitter is suggesting the new Project X LS 6.5 flex for my irons. I am likely going to use my current heads.

3 wood was ridiculous, it went about 30yards further then my current but the ideal shaft costs £375 (Aldila Rogue Black 70g TX) with a Cobra Head cost on top. I can’t justify the cost at the moment, so will ask for a less exotic option

The Driver we just left - while I have some suggestions, reality was my swing was not good enough. The fitter, who was excellent, was very open and honest about it so will come back to that when my mechanics improve.

The Cobra heads were lovely though, so can understand you being happy at the fit.
When I had my first fitting I had an hour lesson first. This time around I was striking the ball really good. I've had iron fittings before and I will change them at some point but thats more due to aesthetics rather than numbers. I think my numbers were similar or a small amount better but not enough to justify the cost. I will get fitted for woods or hybrids at some point but would need a lesson or two first to get the benefit of it. Same with my putter really, I have ping sigma 2 that it would be interesting to have a fitting for my current club to see what I can get out of it

Soldato
I can't help but think golf as a sport died a little bit yesterday. Such inhuman strength rendered the rough relatively toothless and playing wedges into greens designed to receive a #5 iron did the same for the greens. It's been years since bunkers were any kind of penalty.

The answer can't be to make the courses longer still. A ball that doesn't spin so much into greens would likely also increase the distances it goes so that doesn't work. While we have no crowds, they could limit the people looking for a ball to just the golfers (not even the caddies) but as soon as crowds return that would be pointless. The level of strength and professional athleticism combined with the technology-led practice will only further remove "feel" from the game.

Soldato
I was surpised by the lack of fairways hit in the round. The only way you take technology out of the game is to put limits on it i suppose a little like they do in f1 although saying that there is some limits already. Bryson played really well in all fairness but I don't think he would be as far ahead when baxk on the shorter courses.

I played a conp at weekend, first 3 I got single bogey which is 1 under on each for me... 4th par 5, one ob of the t, then tried playing down the rigjt and overshot so ob again and then 4 putted. A 13 never hit so many shots on one hole. Front 9 i was 4 over my hcp so despite a 13 played really well on the front 9. Back 9 was full of double bogeys and the odd triple, although I did get a par near the end. Last holw I hit one ob so just walked down and nr'd the round

Associate
Brysons dedication is something else, so fair play to the guy. Maybe his approach just neutralised that courses strengths.

Tiger started all this years ago, I blame him :p

Lesson on Friday, only practice this weekend. New grip, shorter swing and a power fade are order of the day at the moment.

hopefully get my new irons shafts fitted this week too!

Soldato
I see both sides of the argument - Bryson has done it his way - bulked up, single length irons, 5.5 degree driver. However his putting was superb this week and fully deserved to win.

He'll destroy Augusta with wide fairways and no rough at all.

What's the answer.....I don't think we need one "yet". It's one Major but there is a trend (DJ, koepka, Bryson) of long/power hitters winning. Lengthening the golf courses hasn't worked, and there is a limit to that.

Curbing the ball development? Club face etc - Not sure that is the answer really either. Otherwise we end up with drivers/irons/balls for pro's and others for amateur's - And the whole point is people love to use the clubs/drivers that the pro's use. (Also can't think of another sport that there is different equipment regulations for pro/amateur's )

Games change, things evolve, I think for now we enjoy it whilst we can. If it continues then we need to look at options ....

It's no different to when Tiger was smashing it out the park every week and winning by a mile - Look how that ended in terms of his body giving up on him.

Back
Top Bottom