• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
So that points to a 30-40% uplift in that title's benchmark?

Reviews are going to be VERY interesting. If AMD have brought it this year at the high end, NVIDIA are in trouble which would explain why NVIDIA's pricing stategy is so forgiving this yeae.

The 3080 is about the same price as the 2080, not sure where your going there. Two gens ago you could get a 80ti class card for less. This isn’t a cheap card, the 2080 being overpriced has warped your view significantly.

Soldato
The 3080 is about the same price as the 2080, not sure where your going there. Two gens ago you could get a 80ti class card for less. This isn’t a cheap card, the 2080 being overpriced has warped your view significantly.

Names mean nothing.
Tiers mean nothing.

Nvidia has made $700 get more FPS than it ever has and buy a meaningful margin. Turing was crap because it failed to make our money go meaningfully faster.

It does look like Nvidia failed on the efficiency front this generation, but they seem to have delivered on price/performance.

Associate
Names mean nothing.
Tiers mean nothing.

Nvidia has made $700 get more FPS than it ever has and buy a meaningful margin. Turing was crap because it failed to make our money go meaningfully faster.

It does look like Nvidia failed on the efficiency front this generation, but they seem to have delivered on price/performance.

Exactly right, all that matters is the performance you get at a certain price level, with a side-look at energy consumption/noise if that's important to you.

Getting hung up on whether the 3090 should be a Titan, or comparing '080 models, is all meaningless.

Soldato
I don't have that game and I'm not paying £7.19 to run the same benchmark with my 2080ti. Anyone have it and a 2080ti?
The demo Guru3d used isn't available to the public yet.

Hmm so are people going to go for the Nvidia cards because of the these binning stories are for the partner cards because they don't believe it/its not going to be a noticeable difference?

I'd rather deal with a worse bin than Digital River (Nvidia's distributor).

Soldato
Names mean nothing.
Tiers mean nothing.

Of course these things produce more FPS than has ever been achieved for $700. They have to do that as a bare minimum to even claim they are making progress, let alone generational leaps in performance.

I also accept that making these things go faster is getting harder and harder with every generation.

But you also have to accept that price creep got out of control with the 20 series and the 30 series isn’t any cheaper.

They could sell these for £550 like they did a few years ago and still make plenty of profit but that doesn’t enable you to spend $40 billion on buying Arm.

At the end of the day there really isn’t an alternative at the high end of the PC market and Nvidia have capitalised.

Soldato
Names mean nothing.
Tiers mean nothing.

If the 2080ti was a $700 card then the 3080 would look distinctly average as its looking like less of an upgrade % than the 2080ti was over the 1080ti.

If it's under 30% faster than the 2080ti your only getting a 65% performance increase at the same price tier as 4 years ago.

Soldato
If the 2080ti was a $700 card then the 3080 would look distinctly average as its looking like less of an upgrade % than the 2080ti was over the 1080ti.

If it's under 30% faster than the 2080ti your only getting a 65% performance increase at the same price tier as 4 years ago.

The 2080Ti's performance wmould have been "average" generational improvement *if it were priced at $700*. But no. At $700 Nvidia gave us virtually nothing with Turing.

If we pretend that the 2080ti had been priced at $700, then another 30% increase at $700 would be okay. We should know in a couple days.

Soldato

Its forgiving taking into account the 20 series uplift.

If AMD wasn't competitive this year, I think NVIDIA would have added £200 to each card.

Soldato
Its forgiving taking into account the 20 series uplift.

If AMD wasn't competitive this year, I think NVIDIA would have added £200 to each card.

Maybe. Or maybe Turing didn't sell as well as they had hoped. (Could be both)

There's a point where charging more ends up making less money because fewer people buy when the prices are too high.

Soldato
I noticed that. MSI are kind of the odd one out for the big brands.

Will be interesting to see if it has better, or worse cooling than the rest.
Yup, this hasn't passed me by either. The MSI card is both shorter than most AND doesn't have the vented backplate. Can't help but imagine it's going to be the worst in terms of cooling / noise. It really is an outlier.

Associate
So for those of you who have bought the FE before, how does it work?

Like do we just go to the website at 2pm and buy or do we look out for an email?.

Just wondering though i think ima get the aorus lol

Interested to know how previous FE releases have worked on the Nvidia site. I assume we F5 until we see the price and not the "notify me" button.

Associate
Yup, this hasn't passed me by either. The MSI card is both shorter than most AND doesn't have the vented backplate. Can't help but imagine it's going to be the worst in terms of cooling / noise. It really is an outlier.

Both the MSI Gaming trio and ventus cards use a Graphene backplate which as far as I'm aware is very unique, be very interesting to see how they do. Steve at GN talked about the memory on the back of the pcb on the 3090's being a potential weak point to cool with AIB's and something to test and during the MSI video with the engineers they showed the back plate had heat pipes from the memory running the down the length of the plate which was good to see they have it covered, bring on the benchmarks!

Soldato

Don't care if they're the best cards out there, won't buy MSI on principle right now after all their shenanigans of late. My last two GPUs were MSI too so that's a customer they've lost.

Back
Top Bottom