Car bike rack

Caporegime
Looking for a suggestion for a 2 bike bike rack.

Ideally on the back rather than the roof.
The bike is 20kg.

Do these offer any security? I don't want someone stealing my bike at traffic lights (I've seen it happen on vids)

Soldato
Sarin Bones. Not cheap, but well built and very adaptable. I have the three bike version, and it held three bikes securely for our staycation.

Sarins.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Most of them have several straps that would make it difficult to get away with it easily but no proper theft prevention.

Get a proper lock to tie round the frame too.

Soldato
I have a Saris Gran Fondo which I really like a lot. The bikes go on vertically the the wheels pointing towards the car so they don’t interfere with each other, and also don’t obscure the lights or number plates. They do stick out fairly far but I just much prefer this layout, it’s so much easier to get them on and they’re not squashed against one another.

Zz5GZjg.jpg

Soldato
I had a Saris Bones 3 which I was never quite comfortable using. The top "legs" rested on the glass of the rear windscreen and the metal hooks which you use to stabilise the rack needed foam gluing to them to stop the paintwork being scratched. Even with one or two bikes on it used to move quite a bit and I was always conscious of the glass holding out.

Final straw for me was when I had my and the two kids bikes on (only going five miles up the road for a short ride) and got pulled and a £100 fine for obscuring the number plate and lights.

My fault, I know, but enough to get rid, fit a.towbars and buy a Thule. Far far better (and admittedly expensive) option

Don
The bikes go on vertically the the wheels pointing towards the car so they don’t interfere with each other, and also don’t obscure the lights or number plates.

The number plate looks pretty obscured in that picture.

I want a bike carry for my Focus, but the only ones I'll consider are either a towbar/Thule or roof bars. Everything else obscures the number plate/lights so basically needs a light bar (which necessitates towbar electrics anyway)

Soldato
The number plate looks pretty obscured in that picture.

I want a bike carry for my Focus, but the only ones I'll consider are either a towbar/Thule or roof bars. Everything else obscures the number plate/lights so basically needs a light bar (which necessitates towbar electrics anyway)

From the rear it’s between the bikes and you can see it easily, there’s genuinely no need for a light bar with this one. I haven’t got a better angle photo of it but it’s a really good setup.

I think that roof bars might be the best way of carrying a bike, but the cost was just too much for me. It was looking like £200 - £300ish for me even done as cheaply as I could with the cheapest bits available. This rack was £45 from eBay which was quite lucky but still. I just couldn’t justify roof/tow bar systems for how often it’ll be used.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally don't think I'd feel comfy putting an e-bike on anything but a tow-bar. Even the top rated saris one is 15kg per bike. My non-ebike weighs about that.

I've used one of those saris ones, and probably wrongfully but I was just worried the whole time with two big full sus on the back of it.

I mean, it'd probably be fine but you're insurance is going to void the whole time I'd have thought?

Soldato
When I swapped cars I couldn't get a towbar fitted to the new one and.wemt with the roof bars.

Again expensive but fantastic piece of kit the Thule 598s. Four bikes, solid as a rock - you just need to watch out for low branches / car park entrances etc ....

Caporegime
When I swapped cars I couldn't get a towbar fitted to the new one and.wemt with the roof bars.

Again expensive but fantastic piece of kit the Thule 598s. Four bikes, solid as a rock - you just need to watch out for low branches / car park entrances etc ....

Yeah I use roof rack, with the Yakima (which is awesome). But again, only up to 18.3kgs. So an E-Bike would be too heavy for it, by manufactring standards anyway. Plus, not sure I'd want to chuck 20+kgs on my roof everytime?

Soldato
True, hefting that above your head into the roof each time wouldn't be great :p

E: Although just checked and 20kg limit on the 598s and 100kg on the roof bars so it could take it if you can / want to get the bike up there !

Back
Top Bottom