Favourite magic effects (magic tricks).

Soldato
Note: This isn't about methods and secrets, just effects, i.e. what appears to be happening (in the mind of the spectator) rather than what is actually happening.

I'll kick things off with an effect with cards called "any card at any number" (ACAAN).

In card magic there are lots of variations on this theme (and lots of different methods of achieving them) but the basic premise is that one spectator names a card and a different spectator names a number. When the cards are dealt out, the position of the chosen card corresponds with the chosen number.

It blew my mind when I first saw it performed and some versions still blow my mind to this day.

(Edit: added a video of a performance.)

So GD, what are some of your favourites?

(I'm fully aware that I might regret asking this. :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll add another, this time a coin routine: Coins across.

An age-old effect where coins appear to travel, one at a time, from one hand to the other. Simple, direct and powerful.

Here's one version that I particularly like, performed by Tyler Rabbit (he follows it with another great routine which is also well worth watching).

Caporegime
Ah that racecourse Derren Brown episode was fun.

If we're looking at some close up magic as per the coins above then this egg one on BGT was quite a nice little routine, you can see whats coming but it's a really nicely done trick:

Soldato
Levitation. Like David Blaina stuff, only ever seen it on TV but its pretty cool and I'd love to see someone do a convincing levitation illusion in real life.

Soldato
OP
Another firm favourite of mine are effects based around techniques used by card cheats. The premise is, again, very simple but the effects appear very magical to me.

Soldato
best one i've seen is Simon Drake, hard to describe but he's onstage w/ a masked demon and then gets covered up and carried away etc and the demon takes the mask off and it's him. both have been on stage the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom