• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
So this is a completely new controller? I've found the Xbox one controller reliability to be terrible compared to the 360's. I still have all my 360 ones working fine, despite gaming a 10th as much just about all my Xbox one controllers have had issues, Elite controller 2 also has had poor build quality and lots of reported issues.

Hoping for an elite 3 as well.
Never had any issues with any of my Xbox controllers. I still have my elite 1 which after a few yrs of abuse has stood up well. I also have an elite 2 controller since it first came out, had it just recently replaced by Microsoft due to right bumper no longer registering and the vibration motors were squealing. But that was from day one and I couldn’t be asked at the time to take it back to the store I got it from to get it replaced. But just this last August I had it replaced with a new one that no longer squeals and the bumpers are fine.

The elite 2 controller is definitely better made imho, I know people had elite 1’s and the grips fell off amongst other issues but as I said my original elite 1 is still perfectly fine after yrs of button mashing etc.

Soldato
https://xbox.event.microsoft.com/ (takes a while to load in)

A video demonstrating the quick resume feature on Xbox Series S is on the above page along with other assets.

I'm very impressed with it.

Someone's uploaded it to YouTube for convenience.

Impressive, I wonder if this means the end of constant developer / publisher screens before you get in to the game on a fresh load.

The controller that came with mine feels really cheap compared to my old 360 controller. Looks like they switched to a cheaper plastic.

Man of Honour
Impressive, I wonder if this means the end of constant developer / publisher screens before you get in to the game on a fresh load.

I doubt it as that has nothing to do with quick resume.

They can already skip them all as the game loading generally doesn't occur until after the title screen anyway, and some developers do let you skip them.

I find them very annoying.

Caporegime
https://xbox.event.microsoft.com/ (takes a while to load in)

A video demonstrating the quick resume feature on Xbox Series S is on the above page along with other assets.

I'm very impressed with it.

Someone's uploaded it to YouTube for convenience.

This is one of the biggest things that will likely help me make the switch to console.

I sold my One X last year after not having it that long, as the loading times were just ridiculous.

I mean, yes i was spoilt by running games on an NVME SSD on my PC, but hard drive loading times are one of those things that is difficult to go back to.

Soldato
Personally I've never seen the problem with loading times. Is it really that much of a PITA to wait a few minutes for a level to load?
They pale in significance compared to the old days of waiting for tape games to load on an amstrad or spectrum lmao.

I still love my older Nintendo cartridge games from the snes that loaded so quickly. So going to SSD on next gen should be so so good.

Soldato
So is all DLC/Seasons passes etc. included within Game Pass currently? I wonder if this will change once things become established and people are used to paying £8pm...

It seems Xbox cloud gaming is out today too. I hear the lag is noticeable but apparently this is mainly due to Bluetooth lag and can be worked around. Anyone know if you can used a wired pad on an Android tablet for example? Wouldn't mind giving it a punt for a few quid.

Caporegime
OP
Personally I've never seen the problem with loading times. Is it really that much of a PITA to wait a few minutes for a level to load?

Dude, ask that question again in 12 months time when you've been using the next gen consoles. :D

I'm really looking forward to playing Hitman 3 next gen. The load times when you want to try out different things and you restart a level are horrendous on PS4.

Caporegime
OP
So is all DLC/Seasons passes etc. included within Game Pass currently?

No, that's one of the tricks they use. You only get the base game (although saying that, MS did include Gears 5 Ultimate with Game Pass Ultimate) so you have to buy all the DLC separately. Then if a game is going to leave the service, you're left with a bunch of unusable DLC unless you buy the game. At least they give you 20% off the price which is better than nowt. It's little things like this (another is free cloud saving) that edges out Xbox over PlayStation for me.

Caporegime
The quick loading times is definitely something I’m looking forward to. My Xbox one x is quite nippy but the loading times are annoying to say the least.
The other feature I’m so looking forward to is the quick resume, that looks insane. And also the fact that even after you power down the console it still stays at the same spot when you load it back up.

Just waiting for the pre orders to open and I’ll definitely jump on one. Probably go for the monthly option for the series x with the game pass option.

Soldato
Okay that still seems fair I guess. I suppose a long term concern is the main game content gradually being scaled back along with the monthly cost rising once enough people are on board. I think overall it's still a great system even if/when they do this as there are likely many games I'll dive into that I otherwise usually wouldn't.

Associate
I don't think I've ever bought a DLC........though, I have quite a few from Forza and World of Tanks (so assume these must have been via GamePass) - I think you need to be alert to them, as Microsoft tends to keep them within the store but reduce the price to nil for Gamepass holders (not ideal, but there's normally someone gives me a nudge).

Associate
Load times are once thing, clunky lagging UI is another. The 360 UI, when loading a game you could go into friends and add party/invite/etc before the game loaded, it was literally a few seconds.
On Xbox One it was taking an actual minute to load the friends list, by which point i had already got a MP game and had to close, which then hung again. And that was on Halo MCC when games weren't so easy to find.

Alt-tab on PC is great. Volume levelling/customisation also without the need for 10 cables on the Xbox.

Roll on next gen :D

Back
Top Bottom