Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
sorry, thought for some reason you had a quest 1

unsure about the rift s...........personally, I'd sell, as the thought of a decent VR experience wire free is very appealing
No worries

I think i may sell it off, thought I'd have gotten to use it by now but by the time i do they may even have a successor to the Rift S.

Looking forward to reviews / info of the Quest 2

Associate

unsure about the rift s...........personally, I'd sell, as the thought of a decent VR experience wire free is very appealing

That’s why I bought the Go version as it did not need a PC. I’ve not used any of the 64GB memory yet, it streams perfectly from my Synology NAS using Skybox.

I’ll be keeping a few hundred back for when the Quest 2 arrives but will probably still keep hold onto the Go.

Associate

I tried out a rift s this past week; I didnt find the wire that intrusive ... can a non wired quest still run decent games like half life or walking dead or was it blade and sorcery that I tried?

Soldato
I tried out a rift s this past week; I didnt find the wire that intrusive ... can a non wired quest still run decent games like half life or walking dead or was it blade and sorcery that I tried?

I'd image so, but hopefully you can connect it up to a pc

Quest 1 works both using a USB3 connection and also wirelessly over a 5GHz wifi internal network.

Image quality is similar but I noticed more latency over wifi than when connected by cable.

IF the quest 2 improves the streaming rate either over link or over wifi 6, and in conjunction with a near 4k resolution that could be fantastic. Play over cable for sitting down sim games like flight sim or asseto corsa, play over wifi for standing room scale games like half life or sports games. Play without the PC for family fun games like beat saber etc. Best of all worlds - IF the performance is there.

Soldato
Have been looking into getting a quest for a while now, just waiting for an attractive price.

Now I need to decide whether I go for a 2nd hand quest, or go for a quest 2... Might have to just go for a quest 2 (and then try and work out where the hell I'm going to use it...).

Soldato
Have been looking into getting a quest for a while now, just waiting for an attractive price.

Now I need to decide whether I go for a 2nd hand quest, or go for a quest 2... Might have to just go for a quest 2 (and then try and work out where the hell I'm going to use it...).

That's been the challenge. Due to the limited supply second hand prices for the Oculus Quest have been basically the same as new since it lanuched. I expect they'll drop a fair bit if the new one releases for the same money (~£400) as the current version though as existing customers upgrade.

I don't know if they'll fall that far though as there aren't really any low cost VR headsets out there now that Windows mixed reality is no longer a thing. Vive/Index pricing is still more than double the cost of Oculus's offerings. Playstation VR is in a pretty weird place aswell with the PS5 about to launch and rumours of a 2nd gen headset for that as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
@unseal I can’t overstate how much better the XR2 is going to be going forward vs the 835 which was arguably already out of date when they decided to use it.

The used OG quest would have to be a *lot* cheaper than the Quest 2 before I could recommend going for it over just plonking down the now almost certain $299...

Soldato
@unseal I can’t overstate how much better the XR2 is going to be going forward vs the 835 which was arguably already out of date when they decided to use it.

The used OG quest would have to be a *lot* cheaper than the Quest 2 before I could recommend going for it over just plonking down the now almost certain $299...

Dunno who Unseal is, but I appreciate this comment too ;).

Soldato

It's the biggest tech jump within a product I can remember

Massive boost

Soldato
So next question, how big are quest games at the moment? I'm not usually the sort of gamer that has multiple games installed, however this will probably used by the rest of the family too.

Is it worth getting the big one, or is 64gb probably going to be sufficient if I'm just a bit careful?

Soldato
Is it worth getting the big one, or is 64gb probably going to be sufficient if I'm just a bit careful?

Typically quest games are pretty small and only a few gigabytes each so 64gb will probably be fine. I bought a 128gb initially and returned it for a 64gb model as didn't feel the 128gb was worth it for the extra £100. I doubt they'll increase the install size much even if the quest 2 uses higher resolution textures.

If you're happy to only install a couple of games and don't need to store movies on the device then 64gb will likely be fine IMO.

Soldato
OP
I bought the 128gb Quest and with sideloading the space extra space has come in handy. The biggest issue with Quest storage is that until recently there were no cloud saves so uninstalling a game deleted your save games! Not all games support cloud saves yet, so having enough space so you don't have to uninstall games and lose the save files is nice to have. It's likely that all new games will support cloud saves though.

Soldato
Yeah I thought an extra £100 for just 64 more Gb was extortionate! But now an extra 192 Gb for £100, and at a cheaper price too - well incrementally its still expensive storage (a 1Tb SSD is approx £100), but its better value than before.

I think 64Gb will be enough for me with it being a combo standalone and PCVR. I save all my media on my NAS.

Soldato
CEX still hasn't dropped their buying price. I have to take mine in tomorrow. Original strap has been reattached (bit awkward) and just need to do the factory reset once Ive made the decision.

Is it worth putting in a second sell order to give an extra 3 days under a different reference number, or are they wise to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom