• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
3080 Ti would be more expensive anyway. The only people it might annoy is 3090 buyers, but those buyers want the best regardless of price and that will still have the most unlocked core and most VRAM.

This. A 3080Ti would make my decision easier. I'm not someone who upgrades every generation, I like cards to last, so even if 10GB is fine now, it might not be in 3 years time. A 3090 is significantly more expensive and overkill on VRAM, so the Scottish in me comes out...I keep changing my mind every day on which card to get. Either will be a leap from my 1080 but a 2GB VRAM upgrade after skipping a gen feels a bit stingy.

That said, I completely understand people's point about upgrading the 3080 in a couple of years and that still be cheaper than a 3090...assuming no insane generational price hike.

3080 Ti would be more expensive anyway. The only people it might annoy is 3090 buyers, but those buyers want the best regardless of price and that will still have the most unlocked core and most VRAM.

You pay for what you get, I'd consider up to £1k fine IF the 3080ti delivers.

But I am also staying completely open minded about what AMD can offer on a bang for buck bases.
As I've said before, AMD does not need to have the fastest card.
They just need to have the best value card that has a perfectly acceptable amount of performance.

Caporegime
If I remember correctly the guy who did that video said the experience you get on the 3080 is like nothing else available before, that it took it to another level at 4K. I wonder if he was bending the truth or is the 3080 meaningfully better than a 2080Ti as he would suggest.

:p

Well if he said that then hes an idiot. Other benchmarks done since with people who own overclocked 2080ti running the same settings show it running at almost the same performance as the 3080, maybe 10% less

So if he was so impressed by the 145fps with the 3080 then clearly he had never seen the game running at the same 145fps on the 2080ti. He shouldnt be reviewing cards if he hasnt owned/tested a 2080ti IMO.

Soldato
This. A 3080Ti would make my decision easier. I'm not someone who upgrades every generation, I like cards to last, so even if 10GB is fine now, it might not be in 3 years time. A 3090 is significantly more expensive and overkill on VRAM, so the Scottish in me comes out...I keep changing my mind every day on which card to get. Either will be a leap from my 1080 but a 2GB VRAM upgrade after skipping a gen feels a bit stingy.

That said, I completely understand people's point about upgrading the 3080 in a couple of years and that still be cheaper than a 3090...assuming no insane generational price hike.
Im in the same conundrum. I am on 1080 and usually upgrade every 2 gen. So really I wanted a 3080Ti. However, the price of the 3080 is such I dont mind getting it and then a 4080Ti later. with the resale on the 3080 it shouldnt hurt too much.

Soldato
I just did a quick search and a 2080 at 4k/Ultra Nightmare is not "VRAM capped":

https://www.techspot.com/article/1999-doom-eternal-benchmarks/

Really?...

Eh-Dp-Fi-HU0-AAWovm.jpg

Soldato
There was another video on allocated memory..

However FS2020 is using 9GB+ in VRAM not allocated - actual with Dev tool.. now I know its one game but I'd want to be future proofed.

Flight sim actually helps the 10gb of vram is enough argument because, if you look at the benchmarks, it seems like raw GPU horespower is the weekest link.

I could have 48gb of vram and I'm *still not going to get anywhere near the 90fps I need to run in VR with a 3080.

DLSS 2.1 patch is the only way I see it working....and then it will also need less vram.

Caporegime
Exactly. The 2080 "should" be getting around 120fps at 4k nightmare not the 88 which they then used to claim a 80/90% increase of the 3080 over the 2080.

The 2080 has lost 34% of its performance at those settings. If it wasnt gimped, instead of the 3080 being 80/90% faster it would only be 30-40% faster.

Then it only becomes less than 20% faster than a 2080ti and then if it doesnt overclock as well, you might find yourself down to a 10% gain over a 2080ti.

Card doesnt sound quote so groundbreaking or appealing now.

"Here's the new 3080. Its 10% faster than the 2 year old 2080ti is becasuse we upped the power by 10% but we are only going to charge you what the 2080ti should have been priced at 2 years ago"

Soldato
You mean Hardware Unboxed disagrees with *Techspot*.

Looks like something is amiss somewhere.
Here's what is missing

Taken from the 5th paragraph in the article
for testing today we'll be using the third highest option labeled "Ultra," but with resolution scaling set to off. The reason we're using this preset is that the game imposes a VRAM restriction on cards without enough memory to run at the higher settings. For example, 6GB cards can’t use the next higher preset ‘Nightmare’, at resolutions above 1080p.

Soldato
"Here's the new 3080. Its 10% faster than the 2 year old 2080ti is becasuse we upped the power by 10% but we are only going to charge you what the 2080ti should have been priced at 2 years ago"

Could well be the case. We should know in 24hrs.

Hardware unboxed is one of the few places that still benchmarks Project Cars 2 (the most demanding thing I do). I want to know how the 3080 does in that title.

Were it not for my Reverb and driving sims, I would sit on my 1080Ti for a couple more years as my 34" ultrawide is only 1080p and my 1080Ti doesn't even break a sweat running that.

Soldato
I'm in two minds on this gen. Thought Turing was a complete waste of time and Ampere only looks marginally better.

It seems the 3070 will give me a reasonable boost over my 1070, but the stingy amount of vram will probably cripple the card in two years time. I tend to keep my cards 3/4 years.

So not sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom