Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 26 34.2%

Votes: 24 31.6%

Votes: 6 7.9%

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
Associate
I think Max is just that much better than his teammates. I think the only current driver who could challenge Hamilton (in equal machinery) is Max but I doubt we will ever get to see that before Lewis retires. And we don't know how Max would react to the mental games at the sharp end of a WDC where every point matters.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Much like Botas. Everyone slagging him off as if many in f1 could match and beat hamilton lol.

I think Bottas knows that the chances of him beating Hamilton are slim to none and he has a sweet gig right now. He won't get paid any more elsewhere, won't be on the podium elsewhere and could easily find himself out of a drive completely within a season or two. Mercedes love the fact that he is good enough to get top 3 almost every race in this care which guarantees them the championship every year they have the best car. He doesn't cause a fuss or any friction and is generally the perfect 2nd driver.

Hamilton is IMO the best ever driver.

Hes certainly got to be in the running for it. Problem with formula one is that 95% of it is the car and the other 5% is the driver. Perhaps that wasn't the case in the past but it certainly is now.

Have to say, I thought the Tuscan GP was dull. Formula one has a problem when it requires crashes to be interesting and when people consider a race interesting when there are crashes.

Soldato
Nico has said exactly this several times since retiring and covered it on his own YouTube channel. Lewis has so much natural talent and consistency that to have a chance to beat him you have to give 100% in everything you do for the entire season and it’s physically and mentally draining and requires a bit of luck. He knew his chances of repeating that were slim and didn't have the energy / wanted to spend more time with his family. I took the **** when he retired as wanted to see the follow up. But in hindsight I have to give Nico some respect that he was honest to himself and did what was riht for him.

Yeah I probably took the **** too to be honest. But I can see his point.

It’s like, think of that one thing you are best at. Now imagine someone else comes along every week and does it better than you and there’s very little you can do about it. It must require a fair amount of strength to keep bothering! Haha! I can imagine kimi being good/used to it though due to his laid back/idgaf attitude. Lol

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hes certainly got to be in the running for it. Problem with formula one is that 95% of it is the car and the other 5% is the driver. Perhaps that wasn't the case in the past but it certainly is now.

*Vallteri Bottas has entered the chat*

There have ALWAYS been seasons where one car is utterly dominant, to the point where you could argue that any driver would win the WDC.

Take a look at these examples from each decade.
  • Andretti in the pioneering 1978 Lotus 79
  • Senna in the 1988 McLaren MP4/4
  • Mansell in the all-conquering 1992 Williams FW14B
  • Schumacher in the insane 2002 Ferrari F2002
The problem with saying “anyone could win in that car” is that there are examples (Bottas) where instead of winning or finishing P2 he’s just not convincing anyone that if Hamilton wasn’t there that he’d be claiming the crown.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
So the FIA are investigating Merc and Hamilton for making a polictical statment.
Just saw this on the BBC, but then the regulations it mentions don’t really cover this sort of statement.
I think the FIA would be wise to have a quiet word with Hamilton and leave it at that if they are bothered, otherwise it isn’t going to look very good on them with the diversity campaign is it?

Soldato
I think Max is just that much better than his teammates. I think the only current driver who could challenge Hamilton (in equal machinery) is Max but I doubt we will ever get to see that before Lewis retires. And we don't know how Max would react to the mental games at the sharp end of a WDC where every point matters.
But apparently RB have built their car around Max, so he'd never shoe into a Merc because he and Hamilton have different driving styles anyway, so no we'll never see it.

Caporegime
Nice analysis of what went wrong at the safety car restart:

Basically, small oscillations in speed near the front of the grid - starting with Ricciardo - amplified as they went down the grid until they caused the accident. But the ultimate cause was Michael Masi deciding to leave the safety car lights on for way too long, resulting in Bottas having to delay his acceleration right up to the start/finish line catching the whole field out.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Nice analysis of what went wrong at the safety car restart:

*vidsnip*

Basically, small oscillations in speed near the front of the grid - starting with Ricciardo - amplified as they went down the grid until they caused the accident. But the ultimate cause was Michael Masi deciding to leave the safety car lights on for way too long, resulting in Bottas having to delay his acceleration right up to the start/finish line catching the whole field out.

Well, no. The ultimate cause was the alleged best race car drivers in the world can't reliably manage something - restarts after the safety car - that redneck farmers, bootleggers and the occasional Californian can usually manage just fine :p

***note for the humour-impaired, this may not be entirely serious***

Soldato
Well, no. The ultimate cause was the alleged best race car drivers in the world can't reliably manage something - restarts after the safety car - that redneck farmers, bootleggers and the occasional Californian can usually manage just fine :p

***note for the humour-impaired, this may not be entirely serious***

To be fair they're not used to it being so late and there was likely a safe assumption it was go-time. But if this is how the safety car is going to act from now on, I'm sure they'll do a lot better in future.

Soldato
To be fair they're not used to it being so late and there was likely a safe assumption it was go-time. But if this is how the safety car is going to act from now on, I'm sure they'll do a lot better in future.

The other thing the drivers seemed to forget was that you couldn’t overtake before the start finish line anyway so it would’ve been better to hold station Behind whoever was in front... then again I’m a non race driver sat at home from the comfort of my phone. Haha!

Soldato
Well, no. The ultimate cause was the alleged best race car drivers in the world can't reliably manage something - restarts after the safety car - that redneck farmers, bootleggers and the occasional Californian can usually manage just fine

But isn't their restart procedure inherently different as the actual "start" is invoked by the flag man, not by the leader decision on when to go?
F1 having a light on the start line that is green, but not allow people to actually go full speed is stupid.

The other thing the drivers seemed to forget was that you couldn’t overtake before the start finish line anyway so it would’ve been better to hold station Behind whoever was in front... then again I’m a non race driver sat at home from the comfort of my phone. Haha!

But if you drop back and hold station, when the leader decides to "go" you are then several car lengths behind, and at a disadvantage to overtake once you cross the line. Drivers tend to accelerate and decelerate to try to time the fact that when the leader goes, they are in the accelerate part of the cycle giving them a slight advantage.

What you really need is to be all going the same constant speed, with the same distance between you all, and then have an outside trigger that starts it. Maybe have a system like the pit speed limiter that comes on when the safety cars goes off, but limit you to say 120mph, and then have race control press a button to turn it off once the leader reaches the line. Granted, you still run the problem of the leader creating a tow for everyone, but to be honest that is much better than the leader getting a flyer and ending up 2 seconds ahead by the first corner.

Soldato
I thought it was just because the slipstream up to the first corner was so powerful. They did exactly the same in the F2 and F3 races for the same reason. The teams knew in advance that the safety car was coming in so Bottas could have held back behind the safety car and gone a little earlier as they normally do, but obviously he would have been mincemeat by the end of the straight, hence waiting until the last moment.

It was entirely the fault of some trying to anticipate the front of the field going rather than the lights, in my opinion.

But isn't their restart procedure inherently different as the actual "start" is invoked by the flag man, not by the leader decision on when to go?
F1 having a light on the start line that is green, but not allow people to actually go full speed is stupid.

I can't remember about NASCAR (as I can't stand the silly gimmicks they brought in and inevitable stupidity) but with Indycar the green flag only signifies that the starter is happy with the field, otherwise it is called off and they have to try again until he is happy (very rare these days). Ultimately the pole man determines where to go from, but it has to be on the start/finish straight (with the exception of a couple of tracks where the start/finish straight isn't suitable).

Back
Top Bottom