Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've started using Soft99 cleaning gear. Its really great stuff to use.

So far i've waxed with Kiwami Extreme Wax and I top up with Fusso Coat speed and barrier every other week. Also I wash the car with Kiwami Extreme shampoo with gloss enhancer and wax for constant shine and durable finish.

I have some more Soft99 stuff on the way... PH balanced Creamy shampoo and Fusso F7 liquid sealant - will use this as my base sealant then top off with the wax and then finish with Fusso speed coat spray.

Here she is at the seaside - Beautiful Burnham-on-Sea

2 bucket wash, rinse with Di water then just a quick go around with Fusso coat using Sams red microfibre. Its a great combo for a nice finish.

OQDFrCv.png

Fusso beading and overall long term protection is great. :)

That gloss level is lovely. Car looking great there.

I just put some Garage Therapy Three CS on my Focus. It's their "ceramic sealant". Looks pretty good just now to be honest. Although it took me about twice as long to apply as all the reviews suggest, ha ha. Anyway, had it out today and the flakes in the metallic are REALLY popping in the sun. Looks quite good. I didn't have time to put the 2 Sigma on over the top of the Three CS. But will do that in a couple days after the first wash. Will try to get some pics in the meantime.

Soldato
Literally that. Use some isopropyl alcohol to more effectively clean the visible pantie line left by the wipers, i.e. remove the visible line between the wiped and unwiped areas of the screen.

Soldato
I'm definitely interested in trying those two garage therapy products for my winter protection
.. What prep did you do before applying 3CS? Why did it take longer to apply than you expected?

Prep, I was really lazy to be honest. The car was absolutely manky (it's the daily driver, where the kids fill every nook and cranny with stones and half chewed sweets and stuff). So I paid a local valeter guy to come give it a wash, clay bar and polish. He is really good, had him do stuff for me before. Generally uses good products, but really, for £35 you can't beat what he does. The interior is immaculate, any foul smells are gone, leather all fed and stuff. And claybar and polish. Barely worth my while doing all that myself when he is so cheap. So not really sure what products he used to be honest. He just showed up, did his thing, and left. I then let the car sit for a couple days while the CS stuff was delivered, then I set about it.

I guess it took longer because of my application process. Some videos show different methods. The one I used was apply first with microfiber block in cross-hatch pattern, leave for one minute, flatten with microfibre cloth, leave another minute, then buff off, then move to next panel. To be honest, it's probably as much to do with the fact I aint even an "experienced" detailer or whatever. I just simply don't move as fast. One of the videos I watched the guy did his whole truck in about an hour. I was about 1.5 hours to do a Ford Focus. I didn't time it, but was halfway through the second mix CD before I finished. So I'd guess about 1.5 hours.

Will try to grab some pics tomorrow, and get the Sigma 2 on over the weekend. Then some more pics.

It does look pretty shiny as is though, and you can feel the slickness in the paint. I'm happy with how it sits just now, but will see what like after the Sigma 2.

Associate
That gloss level is lovely. Car looking great there.

I just put some Garage Therapy Three CS on my Focus. It's their "ceramic sealant". Looks pretty good just now to be honest. Although it took me about twice as long to apply as all the reviews suggest, ha ha. Anyway, had it out today and the flakes in the metallic are REALLY popping in the sun. Looks quite good. I didn't have time to put the 2 Sigma on over the top of the Three CS. But will do that in a couple days after the first wash. Will try to get some pics in the meantime.

Thanks mate :)

Soldato
At the risk of igniting controversy about exhaust tips again....my new exhaust has stainless tips with a brushed finish (see pic). Being new they don't need any harsh cleaning yet (just went over them quickly with a mitt when I washed yesterday).
In future though, is Autosol safe to use on this finish? It would usually be my go-to, but I'm now concerned that it might have an effect on the matte finish.

MnWt3or.jpg

Associate
We had only just got past the exhaust tip saga! :p

While they're nice and clean have you thought about ceramic coating them with something like GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour? That should help stop any carbon deposits forming if you just give them a clean regularly.

Personally I'd be happy to use Autosol if required (although very lightly, maybe on a microfiber so not to create any polished spots)but I think if you just clean them very regularly then you wont need to.

Nice looking exhaust by the way

Soldato
We had only just got past the exhaust tip saga! :p

While they're nice and clean have you thought about ceramic coating them with something like GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour? That should help stop any carbon deposits forming if you just give them a clean regularly.

Personally I'd be happy to use Autosol if required (although very lightly, maybe on a microfiber so not to create any polished spots)but I think if you just clean them very regularly then you wont need to.

Nice looking exhaust by the way

Thanks. I've heard FK1000P is good as it's a high temperature sealant, so I was thinking of trying that (can be used on the bodywork too).

Man of Honour
I need some advice and while it's probably been asked and answered before this thread is huge. I cleaned my car yesterday and noticed that mor eor less every panel has somehow got specs of tar on them. How I don't know as no raods have been done around here for ages. I have tried Bilt Hamber on it and while it got some off there is still quite a lot left. What's the best way to get it off, clay bar? If so how do I use one as I have never had one before.

One other thing is that a while ago I saw a Youtube video of a chap drying his car with a huge ultra absorbent towel but can't find the video again to find out what it was. Does anybody know what I am on about and can suggest a place to get one please?

Soldato
Used Bilt Hamber what? Surfex? AutoWash? AutoFoam? I'm not sure I recall Bilt Hamber having a dedicated tar removal product.

You're best off with a dedicated product - plenty to choose from and I suspect not much difference between them beyond method of application - some will spray, others will need a cloth - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/paint-contamination/bug-tar-glue

As for drying towels, personally I think this is an area where marketing has gone a bit overboard - I have a cheap Kent towel that's plenty absorbent but if you want Instagram style 'lay it on the car and glide it off' style drying, then again, plenty of options and they'll probably all do a decent job - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/washing-and-drying/drying-towels

Personally I wouldn't be claying the car unless you're planning to polish it properly after, as it has potential to leave marring

Soldato
I need some advice and while it's probably been asked and answered before this thread is huge. I cleaned my car yesterday and noticed that mor eor less every panel has somehow got specs of tar on them. How I don't know as no raods have been done around here for ages. I have tried Bilt Hamber on it and while it got some off there is still quite a lot left. What's the best way to get it off, clay bar? If so how do I use one as I have never had one before.

One other thing is that a while ago I saw a Youtube video of a chap drying his car with a huge ultra absorbent towel but can't find the video again to find out what it was. Does anybody know what I am on about and can suggest a place to get one please?

I'll personally vouch for Autoglym Intense Tar removal. However you can probably use other things that are cheaper. It contains hydrochloric acid and alcohol ethoxylate, so be sure to wear gloves/glasses to be safe. It cuts through tar really well though.

Man of Honour
Used Bilt Hamber what? Surfex? AutoWash? AutoFoam? I'm not sure I recall Bilt Hamber having a dedicated tar removal product.

You're best off with a dedicated product - plenty to choose from and I suspect not much difference between them beyond method of application - some will spray, others will need a cloth - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/paint-contamination/bug-tar-glue

As for drying towels, personally I think this is an area where marketing has gone a bit overboard - I have a cheap Kent towel that's plenty absorbent but if you want Instagram style 'lay it on the car and glide it off' style drying, then again, plenty of options and they'll probably all do a decent job - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/washing-and-drying/drying-towels

Personally I wouldn't be claying the car unless you're planning to polish it properly after, as it has potential to leave marring

Bilt Hamber Autowheel is what I used and yes I did read the instructions to see if it was safe to use on paintwork first. As Muc-off didn't work I thought I would try something stronger. I know Muc-Off is bike stuff but it has always seen me good in the past. I have a new (to me) car now and I want to look after it so am trying to get all the stuff I need together.

I have just ordered the Autoglym Intense Tar Removal that VaderDSL suggested from Amazon along with a Kent Car Care XL drying towel and see how I get on. Many thanks to the pair of you for your suggestions.

Underboss
i think that's the Drying towel i use, been using it for years (same one)

i'll be getting a worx hydroshot 2nd hand soon (when i get one at a good price) its a portable pressure washer (or should i say portable water hose)

i read up on snow foam briefly and they say there are 3 types , one that will strip wax off and pre-clean better, then there's a neutral one (that could also strip wax) and one that wont strip wax off

i know nothing about snow foam etc

id want one that cleans (or should i say Pre-clean) best, then re-apply wax, and one that will do a decent cleaning job but wont strip the wax off

recommendations ?

Soldato
So, some good weather this afternoon, and had an enquiry about my Volvo, so might punt it on. Needed a bit of a clean first though, and thought I'd try some more of that Garage Therapy Three CS on it. As well as finally getting some pics of the Focus, almost a week after application. The paint really does pop in the sunlight. It probably doesn't show up well in phone pictures though.

Next up? Tackle the big beast (The VW Caravelle).

Soldato
My Wheel brush is broken

i used the Muc-Off one, was very good

do i get that again, or can you recommend me a decent one ?

also would it be ok to use this brush on wheels ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WA4042-Hydroshot-Wheel-Accessory/dp/B07GRFK5T1

I went through a lot of different (cheaper) wheel brushes. Most of them didn't last very long at all. This one, however, has lasted ages, and still looks like new: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-2...ds=autoglym+wheel+brush&qid=1600255243&sr=8-5

It is a bit "hard" so won't really fit into tight spaces though. Tempted to try a wheel woolie mind you, but my gosh, hooped paying near £50 for a set of wheel brushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom