Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Wonder if Grealish might end up regretting that deal like Zaha has.

Indeed. One thing England lacks is players in the mould of Paul Gascoigne in his prime. Zaha was never anything really decent whereas Grealish is. He will end up like Harry Kane with nothing. If Villa go down this season he will be sold on but it depends on what season he has.

FMF

FMF

Associate
I like Grealish, do I think he is top 4 material? No. I always wonder with some players whether they like/suit being the big fish in a small pond.

Also would Grealish work as hard if it wasn't his boyhood club....

In reference to the Gascoigne point I thought Alli was that, however he's clearly earnt enough money and lost his drive, I don't blame Mourinho for wanting rid.

Don
The big fish in a small pond analogy is a good one for Grealish (and Zaha). He's the centre of everything at Villa - the team is built around him to get him on the ball as much as possible & every attack goes through him. He's not good enough to have that same treatment at any side towards the top of the table. He'd just be another midfielder and although he'd be a good one, he won't be nearly as effective to justify a huge transfer fee.

Again like Zaha, Grealish leaving Villa was always unlikely. His value to Villa is far more than his value to any buying side. Zaha/Grealish aren't £60m+ players to any side at the top of the table but they are to Palace/Villa because they could very easily be the difference between them staying up or being relegated.

Caporegime
Grealish seems grounded, Zaha had delusions of grandeur and thought he was destined to be the best in the world. He's nearly 28, at his peak yet could only contribute to 7 goals last season. Grealish contributed to 14 in a far worse team and I think he has more chance of success in a top team.

Caporegime
Grealish seems grounded, Zaha had delusions of grandeur and thought he was destined to be the best in the world. He's nearly 28, at his peak yet could only contribute to 7 goals last season. Grealish contributed to 14 in a far worse team.
Not to mention Zaha went to United and struggled to even get in the team and went back to Palace. Zaha has started the season well but he’s only managed a ‘double double’ (10+ assists and 10+ goals in a season) once in six seasons and that was also the only season he managed more than 10 goals he’s the very definition of big fish small pond and would be lost anywhere else.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Zaha is a luxury player that most smaller teams can afford because their output isn't that high and having a flair player who can score the odd screamer is valuable. Put them in a top 6 team and suddenly their selfishness detracts from the teams output. Thats one of the big differences between the top teams and the rest of the league. The top teams can suffer from having players that are good but selfish and erratic. The smaller teams can benefit from that. If you have that player at a top 6 side he is an impact sub.

Grealish is quality but I think anything over £50m for him would be madness.

Don
Zaha is a weird one, he wasn't given that many opportunities under Moyes so you can't really judge him on that. I
t would be interesting how he would do in a good team. His stats are pretty crap but in the end when you have Benteke and second rate players trying to finish your passes then you're never going to look good..
CP did have a stat a while ago showing their win percentage when he did/didn't play and that was quite complimentary of him. For some reason people have chosen to slate the guy, he hasn't done much wrong other than want to play regular football.. I know he signed his extension in 2018 but who knows what promises they made him, I'd be peed off with the lack of ambition from the club.

Caporegime
Zaha is a weird one, he wasn't given that many opportunities under Moyes so you can't really judge him on that. I
t would be interesting how he would do in a good team. His stats are pretty crap but in the end when you have Benteke and second rate players trying to finish your passes then you're never going to look good..
CP did have a stat a while ago showing their win percentage when he did/didn't play and that was quite complimentary of him. For some reason people have chosen to slate the guy, he hasn't done much wrong other than want to play regular football.. I know he signed his extension in 2018 but who knows what promises they made him, I'd be peed off with the lack of ambition from the club.
Survival from season to season is the strength of their ambition really. When other clubs are investing hundreds of millions in a new stadium and others are bankrolled by Oligarchs and oil rich countries it makes anything else very difficult.

Associate
crazy money for Aub to resign. 250k before bonuses, 350k after apparently. while an important bit of business arsenal dont half get their pants pulled down at contract time. They've still got to pay Ozil 350k a week to sit on the bench. Laca is due a new contract right? Will probably get 200k somehow.

Soldato
Soldato
It shouldn't be an issue at all. Sell Smalling, Lingard, Andreas, Romero, Dalot. Must be getting close to 80 million for that lot plus I would have thought Smalling and Lingard must be on a decent wedge.

yeah ok, you get £20m for that lot in some kind of bundle deal. Not going to cover HM's £80m!

Soldato
crazy money for Aub to resign. 250k before bonuses, 350k after apparently. while an important bit of business arsenal dont half get their pants pulled down at contract time. They've still got to pay Ozil 350k a week to sit on the bench. Laca is due a new contract right? Will probably get 200k somehow.

Is there an unofficial competition among footballers to see who can get paid most for not much? Ozil, Bale, Sanchez, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom