• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Only thing that's bothering me about the S is backwards compatibility. I'd like to see some side-by-side comparisons of popular titles from the 360 and One on One X, Series S, and Series X. If there's a considerable difference, then I may stump up for Series X.
They have confirmed there will be better texture filtering, faster loading along with better frame rates and HDR so they should look pretty good

Soldato
I'm going to do all access at Smyths I think, whats the normal thing for preordering consoles, is it a log on at 1 minute past midnight jobby?

Caporegime
I think MS are being smart here. If you want 4k then get series x. If you are happy with 1080 or 1440 get the S and save £200. Remember - not everyone has a 4k TV.

Why do you feel it is reasonable to expect to buy a next gen console for less than the x1x is selling for and for it to match the x1x performance?
I'm sure that people buying an S with an expectation of 1440p/60 are going to be sorely disappointed.

The S is a 1080p box, plain and simple.

Soldato
They are going to be optimising all games for the S and the X so they should be aiming for the best they can. The S is more powerful than some people seem to think.

But it can't run one x enhanced games can it? I get the cpu is a lot better but I feel like the lack of ram might be holding it back slightly.

Soldato
It has its own enhancements though so its not like they are literally just going to look like they do on the 1S Series S will improve many features of the games just not with the 4K resolution

Caporegime
Just signed up to 24 months (+ 2 free) off Xbox live gold form Brazil for about 60 Euros and then activated the £1 offer to upgrade it all to game pass ultimate.

tbh, you don't save that much by going via Brazil for the live subscriptions, the real saving is in the £1 upgrade. I only did 2 years as I don't have an xbox yet but fancied dabbling with xlcoud for now until the consoles are released in a couple of months.

Used Tunnel Bear VPN for free (no credit card needed) to change regions to Brazil. Turned everything off now and confirmed it is showing xbox game pass ultimate till 13/11/22 and then charging 10.99 a month here : https://account.microsoft.com/services/

rp2000

Associate
I'm interested whether the BC is just on existing BC games, or if they are going full hog with everything - I really want to play Project Gotham Racing again!

Soldato
I'm still in two minds about keeping the One X for a bit if current games are going to look better on it than on the series s. I'm not fussed about 4k as I only have a 1080p tv but I can really see the improvements in textures and detail over my pc and it doesn't sound like the Series S will have those assets.

Caporegime
OP
I'm interested whether the BC is just on existing BC games, or if they are going full hog with everything - I really want to play Project Gotham Racing again!

It’s only the games that work on Xbox One. But they have said they might go back and look at adding more titles to the list. The problem for me is what if an old game works fine on Xbox Series with its extra muscle but they can’t add it to BC because it doesn’t work on Xbox One?

Soldato
I'm sure that people buying an S with an expectation of 1440p/60 are going to be sorely disappointed.

The S is a 1080p box, plain and simple.

You may be right - I guess time will tell.

Its going to have to render lower resolution and the upgraded CPU architecture will have a big bearing on its ability to process more instructions at that lower resolution. Lower resolution will also reduce load on GPU considerably

As such the spec might be fine for 1440p @ 60 fps.

Man of Honour
But it can't run one x enhanced games can it? I get the cpu is a lot better but I feel like the lack of ram might be holding it back slightly.

It can’t handle high resolutions like the One X, but it can hit much higher frame rates.

X enhanced games are all about 4K it’s no surprise out can’t handle those enhancements. As you said, it has less RAM which puts a big limit on resolution capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom