Why are monitors so crap?

Soldato
I totally agree, it's sad. There is total stagnation in terms of image quality in the monitor market which must be hurting the monitor review sites as it's all quite boring bar a few ludicrously expensive GSync Ultimate monitors. I'm waiting for high quality HDR at ~£500, until then I'm not interested. How many years will this take do you think?

What's your definition of "high quality HDR"? LCD will NEVER compete with OLED, so if that's a benchmark, LCD is always going to fall a long way short of it. We don't know yet how the Mini-LED HDR1000 1152 Zones Local Dimming monitors will perform - pretty well I suspect, but they have a £3500 price tag. When might THAT reach £500? A long, long, long time... and by the time it does, there will likely be something better on the market, perhaps even affordable smaller OLED options.

Soldato
What's your definition of "high quality HDR"? LCD will NEVER compete with OLED, so if that's a benchmark, LCD is always going to fall a long way short of it. We don't know yet how the Mini-LED HDR1000 1152 Zones Local Dimming monitors will perform - pretty well I suspect, but they have a £3500 price tag. When might THAT reach £500? A long, long, long time... and by the time it does, there will likely be something better on the market, perhaps even affordable smaller OLED options.
Well there is a 55" TCL 6 series Mini LED TV for $650, so maybe something like that in monitor form factor may be possible one day.

Associate
It just takes one panel manufacturer to start and then others follow which leads to competition and innovation.

I honestly think the panel manufacturing business is completely sewn up its just not in the public domain who/what/why.

Soldato
Well there is a 55" TCL 6 series Mini LED TV for $650, so maybe something like that in monitor form factor may be possible one day.

Completely different markets though. FAR more people are buying 55" TV's than they are PC monitors. You just need to look at how expensive ANY PC monitor is. Looking at what manufacturers have in their pipeline, the only hope I see is with JOLED and their smaller OLED panels. In regards to "high quality HDR" anyway. There are some circa £1000 144Hz 4K 32" monitors coming in Q1 2021 which look interesting, but these aren't going to offer anything special regards HDR performance.

Permabanned
It just takes one panel manufacturer to start and then others follow which leads to competition and innovation.

I honestly think the panel manufacturing business is completely sewn up its just not in the public domain who/what/why.

Nope...

Its the consumers fault. Would you put millions into TV's or monitors and price them so high no one bought them? You would literally go bankrupt, And see your stock and business liquidated and sold.

This is calculated, They know people will pay if they decide to hold the market to ransom it becomes a game of chicken. And people are not prepared to walk away. 1440p 27inch at £800 started all of this i said at the time theres suddenly out of no where been a massive monitor price hike and people should not pay. And look at the state of it now...

If you want prices to be normal its really easy, Keep your money and air your discontent about having nothing in your price range. Its up to them to either meet that demand or figure out something else to manufacture.

Associate
By “you guys” I assume you mean ocuk? I don’t work for them, just help moderate the forums

There’s been a lot of improvements and updates to the monitor market in 7 years, just as there has been in the tv space
In terms of image quality, not really, if anything things have gone backwards. In terms of motion, refresh rate things have certainly moved forward.

Image quality wise, lack of glossy screens, proper sRGB calibration out of the box, panel uniformity, low contrast ratios, all hurt image quality. Even your popular options like the G7, GL850 lose out to entry level TV's for pure picture quality.

Back
Top Bottom