Living alone: What's the worst part of cleaning your home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
******* towel heating radiators in bathrooms!

This so much. There's less than a foot from my loo to the radiator and if someone forgets (often) to flush with the lid down that's another 10mins wiping down every pipe.

Shower wasn't too bad, but I've not had a haircut for 9 months so I can see that now.

Washing up, too soon and you've still got warm soapy water and it could have waited another meal. Leave it another meal and now you need two bowlfuls and there's not enough space playing crockery jenga. I hate baking trays.

Thanks for the blinds warning, was tempted and was going to measure up this weekend.

Caporegime
Yeah definitely the bathroom. The previous owners left it in a disgusting state. There is still black mould that I can't get off. I have tried all sorts :(

I use one of those plug hole covers to catch as much hair as possible (before anyone judges I'm female and have long thick hair :p) every now and then I'll pour some baking soda and white vinegar down the drain to help clear the gunk. I also spray around after I shower every day with vinegar water.

And once a month I put my shower curtain and bath mat in the washing machine :o (I long for the day I can finally re do it all and have a shower screen instead!)

Toilet roll soaked in bleech overnight, it works. Obviously stinks, and needs ventilating. But smells less than the spray stuff.

Caporegime
Carpets. I hate cleaning carpets. Fudge them all to hell.

When I get my own place (lol, as if) it'll all be wooden flooring. Take that, carpets.

Caporegime
What is the worst/most hated part about cleaning your home?

Yeh, the shower cubicle in the en-suite of our house is an absolute **** to clean because of the sliding doors. Its impossible to get into all the nooks and crannies where water sits and causes mold. Its all glass so naturally within days of cleaning it its just covered in limescale again. Also, the plug hole gets blocked up with my partner's long hair every few months, although Mr muscle drain unblocker is amazing at shifting it.

Don't mind cleaning the main bath/shower, i just hate the cubicle.

Soldato
OP
Yeh, the shower cubicle in the en-suite of our house is an absolute **** to clean because of the sliding doors. Its impossible to get into all the nooks and crannies where water sits and causes mold. Its all glass so naturally within days of cleaning it its just covered in limescale again. Also, the plug hole gets blocked up with my partner's long hair every few months, although Mr muscle drain unblocker is amazing at shifting it.

Don't mind cleaning the main bath/shower, i just hate the cubicle.

I find the same issue. The shower door rails are an absolute pain to clean and yes, about 2 days after cleaning the glass they're murky again. Just great!!

Soldato
Hire a cleaner you can get them dirt cheap a couple of times a week.

Ours stopped when corona came along sadly. We've since learned that we probably don't need a cleaner.

At home, I do the dusting and the hoovering while my wife does the kitchen and the bathrooms. I'm pretty pedantic when it comes to dusting so it takes me as long to do that as it takes her to do 2.5 bathrooms and a kitchen...oh well!

My worst job is also the shower (not that I often do it). It's bloody awkward and it more or less looks the same in the end. That and dusting our skirting boards. The house is 5 years old now and is still dusty as hell, no matter how often you clean it.

I've no idea whether the dust is caused by all the plasterboard they used or whether it's the low grade paint? If it's the latter, I may end up repainting everywhere.

Soldato
Ours stopped when corona came along sadly. We've since learned that we probably don't need a cleaner.

At home, I do the dusting and the hoovering while my wife does the kitchen and the bathrooms. I'm pretty pedantic when it comes to dusting so it takes me as long to do that as it takes her to do 2.5 bathrooms and a kitchen...oh well!

My worst job is also the shower (not that I often do it). It's bloody awkward and it more or less looks the same in the end. That and dusting our skirting boards. The house is 5 years old now and is still dusty as hell, no matter how often you clean it.

I've no idea whether the dust is caused by all the plasterboard they used or whether it's the low grade paint? If it's the latter, I may end up repainting everywhere.

You can run a 500watt dehumidifier for around 8p an hour might want to look at something like that, they really do work well. Run it for a few hours when your out.

I agree with the others on here - bathroom is the worst! What do you guys recommend for cleaning the bath itself and the tiles around it? Cleaning a bathroom or kitchen sink is a lot easier. Hell, I don't mind cleaning the toilet either. It's just the bath and the tiles - they take so much scrubbing. There should be an easier way!

Soldato
Dusting is definitely the worst thing, especially when you have loads of stuff displayed on shelves, sideboards etc. If I really want to dust my living room properly I need to set aside half a day! so it gets done badly about once a month.

I dont mind most other cleaning and often find myself giving the kitchen a proper go over at 10 oclock at night just because.

Bath I find easy to clean, quick spray with a cleaner, leave it for 10, get a cloth and the shower head (have an L bath with shower on wall at square end), spray and wipe. 5 minutes all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom