• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much will a 8700k bottleneck a RTX 3080?

Soldato
Asking on behalf of a friend.

He has a 8700k and plays at 1440p.

How much if any would a 8700k bottleneck a RTX 3080?

Really I'm referring to next gen titles such as Watch Dogs Legion or CyberPunk for example.

I know we can't answer this fully until tomorrow at the earliest but if you had to take a guess what would you say?

Soldato
Depends on how those games behave and what there CPU use is like.

In general can get an idea of how they perform by whacking down the visual settings and resolution to make the CPU the primary boundary and see what sort of FPS it pumps out. Of course impossible with those games mentioned but suspect he will be fine.

I will be using the same CPU OC'd in my HTPC and also going 3080 or 3090 and expect my limit will still be the GPU in those games with eye candy cranked up with maby some scenes CPU bound. Just crank give it an OC and it sits right up there with latest out (not surprising seeing as Intel just bolting on more cores) Games around 6 min mark.

Soldato
OP
Depends on how those games behave and what there CPU use is like.

In general can get an idea of how they perform by whacking down the visual settings and resolution to make the CPU the primary boundary and see what sort of FPS it pumps out. Of course impossible with those games mentioned but suspect he will be fine.

I will be using the same CPU OC'd in my HTPC and also going 3080 or 3090 and expect my limit will still be the GPU in those games with eye candy cranked up with maby some scenes CPU bound. Just crank give it an OC and it sits right up there with latest out (not surprising seeing as Intel just bolting on more cores) Games around 6 min mark.

Thanks

Associate
I'll be using a 3090 on a 7700k until new Ryzen is out (assuming it outperforms a 10900k). Ultimately you will be giving up some frames, but you can always upgrade CPU in the future. I bet the difference won't be big at all. More so on the lows.

Soldato
Assuming it is clocked up to near or around 5Ghz it will basically perform on par to or within margin of error of the 10600k.

We don't know performance in those new titles yet but I can't imagine a 8700k would be a horrendous bottleneck to the point where it made the game unplayable, especially at 1440p.

Soldato
Assuming it is clocked up to near or around 5Ghz it will basically perform on par to or within margin of error of the 10600k.
It may even be slightly faster than a 10600K, which has worse inter-core latency due to it being a 10-core die with parts disabled.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/4

An 8700K isn't going to be holding anything back any time soon unless you specifically set out to make it do so by running your shiny new 3080 at 1080p Low.

Associate
I am in the same boat seeing that I've got a 5960x paired with a 1080ti, what I will be doing is to upgrade the gpu first and when AMD releases new cpus I may change the cpu+mobo combo.

Associate
Associate
If its overclocked it doubt it will make much diff
my 9900KS is never fully loaded not even 50%
most games its around 10%-30%

Back
Top Bottom