Advice for potential upgrades for gaming/streaming?

Associate
Current Build
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 14nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd B350 TOMAHAWK (MS-7A34) (AM4)
Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte) / Dell S2716DG (2560x1440@59Hz)

I've had this current build for over three years now and I'm conscious I might need or benefit from some upgrades. I use it almost entirely for gaming but also streaming Netflix/Amazon etc.

I'm fairly inexperienced with PCs so any advice would be great. I'm not sure the PC is as cool as it could be when gaming either but I'm going to give it an overdue clean soon.

I'm not sure what the power supply is, I think it was 600w modular. Thanks!

Soldato
Dell S2716DG (2560x1440@59Hz)

I thought this was a 144hz monitor so not sure why it's only @59hz? So maybe check settings in Windows or nvidia control panel etc and make sure 144hz is set.

Also check if XMP/D.O.C.P is enabled for your ram in the bios as 1066mhz seems quite slow.

The main 3 things that would make a noticeable difference are the CPU, GPU and maybe the ram if it's under 3000mhz but what's to buy depends on how much budget you have available.

Associate
OP
I thought this was a 144hz monitor so not sure why it's only @59hz? So maybe check settings in Windows or nvidia control panel etc and make sure 144hz is set.

Also check if XMP/D.O.C.P is enabled for your ram in the bios as 1066mhz seems quite slow.

The main 3 things that would make a noticeable difference are the CPU, GPU and maybe the ram if it's under 3000mhz but what's to buy depends on how much budget you have available.

I jumped into settings and changed that to 144hz now - I didn't realise that hadn't been on. I also went into the Bios, which is MSI Click which I'm not familiar with, and turned A-XMP on. It has 1399MHz (18-18-18-38) now for the RAM. Not sure where D.O.C.P is though so I couldn't check that. In terms of budget I wouldn't say I'm limited at the moment, I'd be pretty flexible

Man of Honour
So you've increased your ram speed and set your monitor to 144hz what fps are you getting now ?

Fraps or Mis afterburner software will show you

New gpu are to be released to tomorrow and Zen 3 cpu later this year so it mite be worth waiting.

You could keep your motherboard and upgrade your cpu now if you want ?

Are you streaming games

Associate
OP
So you've increased your ram speed and set your monitor to 144hz what fps are you getting now ?

Fraps or Mis afterburner software will show you

New gpu are to be released to tomorrow and Zen 3 cpu later this year so it mite be worth waiting.

You could keep your motherboard and upgrade your cpu now if you want ?

Are you streaming games

In-game for Modern Warfare, it sits between 70-80 most of the time now. I've seen it spike a couple times to 90-100. So those have improved fps a bit

Is there anything I can watch/read on how to use the MSI Afterburner softward?

I'll keep in mind CPU then and no, not streaming games, mostly just multiplayer or open-world type games

Back
Top Bottom