Living alone: What's the worst part of cleaning your home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I hated cleaning the bathroom, then I bought a proper steam cleaner, a Kärcher SC 5 to be precise and now it is zero effort and you don't really need to use any cleaning products for the most part.
It also makes short work of cleaning and refreshing carpets, mattresses, curtains, and cleans ovens like its cutting through butter with a hot knife (not a poo knife), vinyl flooring, laminate, windows... the list goes on.

I feel like a advert at this point in time, but it seriously made cleaning a whole lot less of a chore and is incredibly satisfying to use. :)

Soldato
Almost made myself ill trying to get the bath sealer/tile grout clean....had 3 or 4 different products, one def had bleach...not sure about the rest but they clearly weren’t meant to be used together and turned my small bathroom in to a ******* gas chamber :p

No joke people have died from mixing bleach with other cleaning products. I generally wear a A2 respirator when bleaching down the grout/sealant on mine as it's not the healthiest thing to inhale anyway.

Soldato
Oh, the oven actually. I hate doing that job.

The oven is a big pain. In fact, if any oil/fat/grease burns on the surface, i'm sure it's impossible to get off.

We buy those oven pride kits, where you stick the racks into a bag of acid overnight and it eats through absolutely everything.

Also purchased these oven liners, so that anything that drips onto the bottom, the liner can just be thrown away and replaced.

Drying washing in the winter in a flat was horrible. I don't miss that

What do you do in the house over winter? I find we still have to regularly dry clothes indoors over winter.

Carpets. I hate cleaning carpets. Fudge them all to hell.

When I get my own place (lol, as if) it'll all be wooden flooring. Take that, carpets.

I can guarantee when you swap to hard flooring (wood/tiles etc) that you'll be cursing that there's always dust on them no matter how often you hoover/sweep it. Carpet at least visibly hides the dust, but hard flooring the dust has nowhere to hide.

It has to be the poo stains in the porch because of all the letterbox damage.

I lolled.

Soldato
The oven is a big pain. In fact, if any oil/fat/grease burns on the surface, i'm sure it's impossible to get off.

We buy those oven pride kits, where you stick the racks into a bag of acid overnight and it eats through absolutely everything.

Also purchased these oven liners, so that anything that drips onto the bottom, the liner can just be thrown away and replaced..

I use wire wool and astonish oven cleaner on my oven after I have heated it up for about 5 mins. It does come off but it needs a scrub! Normally takes me about 2 hours and it looks like new afterward. I also just soak the racks in my sink in hot water then wire wool them and they come up like new.

I have used those oven pride kits and they do work wonders on the racks at least, but 10-15 min scrub with a wire wool and hot soapy water does the job just as well. You just need a big enough sink! Wife recently put in an oven liner, will have a look how its doing later :D

Soldato
What do you do in the house over winter? I find we still have to regularly dry clothes indoors over winter.

I have an indoor airer that I use to hang clothes up to dry (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clothes-La...ocphy=9044967&hvtargid=pla-717556030931&psc=1)

I am lucky in that I live in a 3 bedroom house on my own, so the spare room has this in it. Very easy to do 2 washes a week and never have an issue with space. Most things dry in 24 hours anyway.

Only real issue is sheets and duvet covers, but even that is manageable.

Permabanned
In a house now. Will be getting a tumble for winter

Get a portable, The average person has thiers in the kitchen imagine washing your best clothes beside frying onion rings, Thiers people that do it!!! And kitchens arw normally filfthy too!

When i googled washing machine in kitchen i got hammered with links where Americans talk about how disgusting it is and how they cannot believe Brits dont have a laundry room.

So i got portables, And a portable spin dryer and a dehumidifier. And it feels amazing as a man i have evolved like when the first man started using bog roll.

Caporegime

Also purchased these oven liners, so that anything that drips onto the bottom, the liner can just be thrown away and replaced.

I can guarantee when you swap to hard flooring (wood/tiles etc) that you'll be cursing that there's always dust on them no matter how often you hoover/sweep it. Carpet at least visibly hides the dust, but hard flooring the dust has nowhere to hide.

I lolled.

Haven't been through a winter yet. Will be getting a tumble dryer

Caporegime
Get a portable, The average person has thiers in the kitchen imagine washing your best clothes beside frying onion rings, Thiers people that do it!!! And kitchens arw normally filfthy too!

When i googled washing machine in kitchen i got hammered with links where Americans talk about how disgusting it is and how they cannot believe Brits dont have a laundry room.

So i got portables, And a portable spin dryer and a dehumidifier. And it feels amazing as a man i have evolved like when the first man started using bog roll.

I was going to put the tumble dryer in the back porch. It's also where the washing machine and second freezer live

Associate
Bedding. Is there some form of magic trickery that allows a single person to easily and successfully put a cover on a king sized duvet without it becoming an anger induced wrestling match?

Soldato
Bedding. Is there some form of magic trickery that allows a single person to easily and successfully put a cover on a king sized duvet without it becoming an anger induced wrestling match?

Yep, duvets are a piece of urine to do. Duvet cover inside out, stick hands in to grab the top corners, grab a corner of the duvet with each hand, stand shake and rearrange. 30 seconds tops to have it ready to be buttoned closed.

As for washing machine in the kitchen, do these "Yanks" think we also store all these clothes in the kitchen, no they are walked in, put in the machine, then when done walked out to where they are put to dry! , Total exposure in kitchen is probably 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I have a double bed and king size duvet. I normally turn the cover inside out, put my hands in and grab the corners of the cover, then the corner or the duvet. Stand on the bed/sofa and shake so the cover falls over the duvet. Then put the open end corners into place and shake again, standing on the sofa/bed. Button up and shake again from top. Done. 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom