• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

ne0

ne0

Associate
I keep thinking about picking up a 2080ti for the crazy cheap prices they're going for now.

Do we really trust Nvidia with the quoted performance figures?

What if the 3070 falls significantly short of the 2080ti?

I'm just wondering If I should hedge my bets and pick up a 2080 while they're cheap.

I know nobody 100% knows the answer this is just a discussion post. :)

Surely they can't just outright lie can they? Not only would that put them in serious hot water legally but they'd just look stupid once all the benchmarks came out and nobody would trust a word they ever said. AMD would lap it up. Can't see it happening tbh.

Associate
the thing is, i don't get why would nvidia would inflate prices like that, it doesn't change anything for them, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Knowing those cards will be in short supply, if you inflate price you would only invite some free mindshare loss to AMD and consoles.
Nvidia has to deal against The xbox, ps5, and RDNA 2 this holiday. This is why they priced ampere aggressively, they know people are starting to make choices now. They saw what Zen did to intel, and will not repeat Intel mistakes.

Soldato
the thing is, i don't get why would nvidia would inflate prices like that, it doesn't change anything for them, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Knowing those cards will be in short supply, if you inflate price you would only invite some free mindshare loss to AMD and consoles.
Nvidia has to deal against The xbox, ps5, and RDNA 2 this holiday. This is why they priced ampere aggressively, they know people are starting to make choices now. They saw what Zen did to intel, and will not repeat Intel mistakes.
One word justify nvidia' greed...investors and their expectations.

Associate
it will be over hyped but we wont find out for aobut 1 year as everybody that buys one would die to protect their brand lol.

im expecting many a thread on here because the cards arent working as intended to only find that they dont have a PSU powerful enough to power the most hungry gpus we have seen in a while.

Soldato
Someone who owns a 2080ti did test of his own based on the information regarding the 3080
Inkeduhhuh-LI.jpg

The results look "ok" until you OC the 2080ti. Sure, you could OC the 3080, we know it can...how much though we don't know. However, those precentages are a lot lower then what Nvidia marketed them to be.

Port Royal is a RT benchmark. And at stock it's looking like 27%. When you look at DLSS being used on the 2080ti vs 3080 we are looking at a 3080 only being 18% better in TR @1440p/4k.

Were is that promised 40% (or so) from the 2080ti?? Again, we have to wait for reviews. But it's stuff like this that will have me looking at more then 3 reviews on this 3080.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Someone who owns a 2080ti did test of his own based on the information regarding the 3080
Inkeduhhuh-LI.jpg

The results look "ok" until you OC the 2080ti. Sure, you could OC the 3080, we know it can...how much though we don't know. However, those precentages are a lot lower then what Nvidia marketed them to be.

Port Royal is a RT benchmark. And at stock it's looking like 27%. When you look at DLSS being used on the 2080ti vs 3080 we are looking at a 3080 only being 18% better in TR @1440p/4k.

Were is that promised 40% (or so) from the 2080ti?? Again, we have to wait for reviews. But it's stuff like this that will have me looking at more then 3 reviews on this 3080.
So better than a overclocked 2080Ti for half the price then? Glad I skipped turding :D

The gap will only widen with time as ampere gets all the driver optimisations.

As you say though, let’s wait for reviews.

Soldato
So better than a overclocked 2080Ti for half the price then? Glad I skipped turding :D

The gap will only widen with time as ampere gets all the driver optimisations.

As you say though, let’s wait for reviews.
Well, a 2080ti was never worth $1200. Nvidia knew they had a following of people who would pay that much that's all. If you can get one for
less then a 3080 would be a decent bargain imo.

As for the gap port royal is very concerning. That's not a "driver" issue imo. The only thing Nvidia can do is reduce RT effect to increase performance but it will only increase performance for the 2080ti as well. Just look at the dlss result. Whatever they do to the 3080 will also positively effect the 2080ti.

If they use dlss more in RT it would have a positive effect for 2089ti owners. And I'm not seeing 40% or better difference. Imho, if you have a 2080ti I would hold off to see if you get true 40% performance uplift. I'm not confident that the 3080 will oc well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the uplift in RT performance based on what I have seen so far. I was expecting no less than a 2x improvement, not a up to 2x.

Will wait and pass judgment on Wednesday 2pm :D

For me I want a 3080 as it also has HDMI 2.1 which will come in handy hooking it up to my OLED. But let’s see what’s what first, nothing is set in stone with me, based on new info that comes out from reviews my plans can easily change :p

I mean if it disappoints in reviews followed by me not being able to pick one of for £649 or cheaper on release, I may just decide to wait until November.

Back
Top Bottom