• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
no. Cooler on the FE edition is probably as good as you are going to get without going to water.

work of art that cooler.

Yeap! I'm extremely impressed with the FE cooler. IMO the AIB cards will be very noisy and run much hotter than that.

As an ex Vega 64 LE owner, and current Radeon VII owner, I can say AMD can't quietly cool 295W cards at all, I have to undervolt and reduce the fan curve to get anywhere near acceptable noise levels. I'm likely going to order a FE tomorrow if I can :) If they all sell out, I'll wait for restock, as much as I love AMD, I have no confidence that big navi will have drivers that work on launch, and that RX6000 cooler will likely be loud compared to the 3080FE's cooler.

10GB VRAM put of me off initially, but I highly doubt any game developer will have the balls to release a game that struggles at 4k on the 3080, as Nvidia's market share/mindshare is just too powerful to battle against.

Soldato
So Hardware Unboxed reports that at 4K based on all the average of games they tested the 3080 FE is 77% faster than the 1080Ti and 71% faster than the 2080. Yeah, that will do me just fine as my fastest ever card was an Titan XP which I bought and sold for around £450. So well worth the wait in the end as for £200 extra I am getting a HUGE boost :D

Don't be silly. Some will have you believe you should scrounge ebay for a 2080 Ti on the off chance one of the worse condition cards come up for below £450.

Soldato
Wife has just given me permission to buy one. Nearly twice the speed of my 1080ti. :eek:

What with the Quest 2 launching soon it's going to be an expensive month!

Soldato
I'm pretty underwhelmed in these results - given the power consumption. If these results were coming in at 250W it would be brilliant. That it's taking over 300W is really unimpressive.

Let's see if AMD can get close for a lot less power.

Caporegime
I imagine these are instantly going to sell out on the nVidia website, I just hope they keep the supply of them coming rather than deliberately restrict supply to give AIBs a boost.

The forum will go wild citing "Bottlenecks", despite the fact you will likely still be having a much better experience than whatever card you currently have

Lol :p

Currently running a GTX 970 :(.

Soldato
I hit just short of 16k marks in timespy with the 3080 doing 18k

A lot less than 30%
Time Spy (regular) is only 1440p, and it seems to be that the 3080 is very underwhelming at 1440p, even in GPU-bound scenarios. You pretty much have to be running at 4K to get any real benefit from it.

Soldato
Isn't the xbox series x faster as it's promising 4k 120

Yeah but "Ultra 4K" settings on a PC are going to be different from whatever baked in 4K graphics settings the consoles end up using. It will be more comparable but the PC detail will be levels above still I would expect.

Plus I think they've already indicated about "Performance" presets so one will target 120fps but bring the details down whereas the alternative will run in full detail but target a lower fps such as 60.

You see this today in a lot of PS4 Pro titles 30 vs 60 etc.

Soldato
So Hardware Unboxed reports that at 4K based on all the average of games they tested the 3080 FE is 77% faster than the 1080Ti and 71% faster than the 2080. Yeah, that will do me just fine as my fastest ever card was an Titan XP which I bought and sold for around £450. So well worth the wait in the end as for £200 extra I am getting a HUGE boost :D

Totally the same - with a 4k monitor I am really looking forward to grabbing one now :D

Associate
I'm pretty underwhelmed in these results - given the power consumption. If these results were coming in at 250W it would be brilliant. That it's taking over 300W is really unimpressive.

Let's see if AMD can get close for a lot less power.
Yeah the 3080 is a warm one, thats partly why I'd prefer a 3070 I think. AMD aren't usually ahead of nvidia when it comes to power but we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom