• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The 3080, quite honestly, is pathetic at 1440p.

I expected this somewhat, as I took in what Adored was saying about the whacking amount of shaders Ampere has, and how at lower resolutions they won't get any "work". Meaning a load will sit idle.

12C09a0.jpg

Now yeah look every one I have cherry picked one game, right? yes I have *holds up hands* but, when you consider it is one I play quite a lot (two playthroughs done already) then it is important to me. I don't buy things that don't offer me anything.

Overall?

1UF28RP.jpg

At 1440p the 3080 is 21% faster. But. That's a stock FE. My 2080Ti runs at 2140mhz with RT enabled and 2150 without it. With a 400w absolute TDP cap. There is no point in me voiding the warranty for 50mhz. (raising the cap to 520w).

I also bought a 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme with a block on, but have yet to test that. However I am under no illusions it will ever get close to the Kingpin. That is what grade A binning from the middle of a wafer looks like.

Put simply? the 3080 offers me absolutely nothing. At all.

Please try and remember the "me" comments in this. Because yes, when I hit that purchase button it is all about me and what I do and play.

My sister was thinking of a 3090 and she plays at 1440p The 3080 seems more than adequate. You can see that across a range of games some will be bottlenecked hard by something other than the GPU (likely CPU). 3080 is simply a beast.

My personal thoughts - even the 2080ti, when I had it in my hands for a bit and did some testing myself, I thought that was getting bottlenecked quite a bit at 1440p. A more powerful card will get more bottlenecked. That's natural.

Associate
ALXAndy the game runs on average over the max frame rate of 144Hz and thats not fast enough for you?

For me on Freesync, once a game runs around 100+ I'm not even that bothered about checking benchmarks at that point. but thats just me.

Associate
The 3080, quite honestly, is pathetic at 1440p.

I expected this somewhat, as I took in what Adored was saying about the whacking amount of shaders Ampere has, and how at lower resolutions they won't get any "work". Meaning a load will sit idle.

12C09a0.jpg

Now yeah look every one I have cherry picked one game, right? yes I have *holds up hands* but, when you consider it is one I play quite a lot (two playthroughs done already) then it is important to me. I don't buy things that don't offer me anything.

Overall?

1UF28RP.jpg

At 1440p the 3080 is 21% faster. But. That's a stock FE. My 2080Ti runs at 2140mhz with RT enabled and 2150 without it. With a 400w absolute TDP cap. There is no point in me voiding the warranty for 50mhz. (raising the cap to 520w).

I also bought a 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme with a block on, but have yet to test that. However I am under no illusions it will ever get close to the Kingpin. That is what grade A binning from the middle of a wafer looks like.

Put simply? the 3080 offers me absolutely nothing. At all.

Please try and remember the "me" comments in this. Because yes, when I hit that purchase button it is all about me and what I do and play.

Did you actually watch any of the reviews? The 3080 FE at stock was 20-30fps faster that a high end OC 2080Ti Also a 3080 is not the top card and is £500+ (nearer £700-£900 with a high end OC AIB card) cheaper than the 2080Ti

Soldato
RDR2 is only 50 FPS at 4K on the 3080 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider ~58 FPS with RTX on, according to Jay, so it does make me wonder what CP2077 will be like.

Edit - I do think there will be some driver improvements that will enhance performance over time though.

Associate
Digital Foundry have gone down in my expectations, was expecting 80% gains at 1440p.

I will still be upgrading to get a card that can keep up with my monitor's refresh rate though. Having the option of RTX on at a playable frame rate will be nice too. Zen 3 upgrade looks mandatory.

Associate
Zen 3 should allow it to stretch it's legs a bit more. Gotta decide today if I'm going to be in the F5 brigade tomorrow, really want to upgrade my Vega 56 in preparation for cyberpunk.

Does t look like AMD will have the cards on time for the game if they're announcing on 28th October!

Got the week off work to play it, did the same for Witcher 3

Back
Top Bottom