• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
My sister was thinking of a 3090 and she plays at 1440p The 3080 seems more than adequate. You can see that across a range of games some will be bottlenecked hard by something other than the GPU (likely CPU). 3080 is simply a beast.

My personal thoughts - even the 2080ti, when I had it in my hands for a bit and did some testing myself, I thought that was getting bottlenecked quite a bit at 1440p. A more powerful card will get more bottlenecked. That's natural.

The bottleneck *IS* the 3080.

See how they doubled the CUDA cores? they did that because Samsung 8nm was so crap. However, there's a penalty to that. If you don't load the crap out of them and make them work hard they sit idle. See also 64 core 128 thread Threadripper. And at 1440p? you are wasting your money.

Never, ever buy the wrong card for the wrong res fella. Not ever. You are throwing money away.
What did they do?

Took a bung.

Soldato

See how they doubled the CUDA cores? they did that because Samsung 8nm was so crap. However, there's a penalty to that. If you don't load the crap out of them and make them work hard they sit idle. See also 64 core 128 thread Threadripper. And at 1440p? you are wasting your money.

Never, ever buy the wrong card for the wrong res fella. Not ever. You are throwing money away.

Took a bung.

I'm 4k - it's great for me tbf

Soldato
As you can see, it's rubbish. Just buy a second hand 2080Ti people!

I hear you can overclock them and have even better performance than a 3080, plus the 1GB extra RAM means it will last a lot longer! It will allow you to play Watchdog Legion which NEEDS 11GB and will not even boot if you have less!

:p

I lol'd, it's hard to get sarcasm over the interwebz

I've not read every review or watched them all yet but I noticed one of the biggest games right now was absent from OC3D's review.

I've focused on 1440p as that is what I run. However, I do know that my 2080ti is considerably faster than that. Min FPS for me is 138 @ 2140mhz. And that's absolutely maxed with RT and shadows on max. I see a high FPS of about 180.
At 1440p the 3080 is 21% faster. But. That's a stock FE. My 2080Ti runs at 2140mhz with RT enabled and 2150 without it. With a 400w absolute TDP cap. There is no point in me voiding the warranty for 50mhz. (raising the cap to 520w).

I also bought a 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme with a block on, but have yet to test that. However I am under no illusions it will ever get close to the Kingpin. That is what grade A binning from the middle of a wafer looks like.

Put simply? the 3080 offers me absolutely nothing. At all.

Please try and remember the "me" comments in this. Because yes, when I hit that purchase button it is all about me and what I do and play.

It's not like you can back now after your time away for going a little crazy

Soldato

Took a bung.
With whats been seen, how do you think this is going to perform on an ultradawide 3440x1440p 144hz? My 2080 could barely keep above 70fps on some titles...

Soldato
Digital Foundry have gone down in my expectations, was expecting 80% gains at 1440p.

I will still be upgrading to get a card that can keep up with my monitor's refresh rate though. Having the option of RTX on at a playable frame rate will be nice too. Zen 3 upgrade looks mandatory.

I watched the same video from DF and never had those expectations. Did you skip the part of the video where DF said...plainly..that Nvidia picked the games they were allowed to show?

Did you think Nvidia would pick games that were representative of what people could expect across a wide range of titles? ...Or maybe consider that Nvidia would chose the absolute best-case scenario to show?

DF said that Nvidia picked the titles.

They told us. I don't know why you are mad at DF.

Soldato
Did you actually watch any of the reviews? The 3080 FE at stock was 20-30fps faster that a high end OC 2080Ti Also a 3080 is not the top card and is £500+ (nearer £700-£900 with a high end OC AIB card) cheaper than the 2080Ti

Of course I watched the reviews. Hence, picking out the info that was important to me IE - I have a 2080Ti, I have an AMD CPU and I wanted to see how much faster the 3080 was than what I have. To do that I had to watch lots of reviews.

And now I have the information that pertains to me. Hence why I said it was information I wanted to see.

Soldato
The 3080, quite honestly, is pathetic at 1440p.

I expected this somewhat, as I took in what Adored was saying about the whacking amount of shaders Ampere has, and how at lower resolutions they won't get any "work". Meaning a load will sit idle.

12C09a0.jpg

Now yeah look every one I have cherry picked one game, right? yes I have *holds up hands* but, when you consider it is one I play quite a lot (two playthroughs done already) then it is important to me. I don't buy things that don't offer me anything.

Overall?

1UF28RP.jpg

At 1440p the 3080 is 21% faster. But. That's a stock FE. My 2080Ti runs at 2140mhz with RT enabled and 2150 without it. With a 400w absolute TDP cap. There is no point in me voiding the warranty for 50mhz. (raising the cap to 520w).

I also bought a 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme with a block on, but have yet to test that. However I am under no illusions it will ever get close to the Kingpin. That is what grade A binning from the middle of a wafer looks like.

Put simply? the 3080 offers me absolutely nothing. At all.

Please try and remember the "me" comments in this. Because yes, when I hit that purchase button it is all about me and what I do and play.

Because the AMD cpu is no good at 1440p and at 4K it makes no difference

smr

smr

Soldato
I've got a feeling that the FE Card will have cooler and better air flow than the AIBs.... I mean, 3 fans blowing upwards against one. The FE design could prove to be stellar.

Back
Top Bottom