• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
You mean they had the temerity to make a video, full of caveats about waiting for full reviews before deciding, in association with Nvidia, in order to pay the bills?

..and to you that's 'took a bung'

Yes, it's taking a bung. No matter how you try and justify it. LOL you make it sound like they are skint and holding out a gruel bowl asking for more.

Caporegime
The 3080, quite honestly, is pathetic at 1440p.

I expected this somewhat, as I took in what Adored was saying about the whacking amount of shaders Ampere has, and how at lower resolutions they won't get any "work". Meaning a load will sit idle.

12C09a0.jpg

Now yeah look every one I have cherry picked one game, right? yes I have *holds up hands* but, when you consider it is one I play quite a lot (two playthroughs done already) then it is important to me. I don't buy things that don't offer me anything.

Overall?

1UF28RP.jpg

At 1440p the 3080 is 21% faster. But. That's a stock FE. My 2080Ti runs at 2140mhz with RT enabled and 2150 without it. With a 400w absolute TDP cap. There is no point in me voiding the warranty for 50mhz. (raising the cap to 520w).

I also bought a 2080Ti Aorus Xtreme with a block on, but have yet to test that. However I am under no illusions it will ever get close to the Kingpin. That is what grade A binning from the middle of a wafer looks like.

Put simply? the 3080 offers me absolutely nothing. At all.

Please try and remember the "me" comments in this. Because yes, when I hit that purchase button it is all about me and what I do and play.

WarpedDistortedInvisiblerail-size_restricted.gif

I paid £1750 for mine. Get it right.

b5abb296a98ede14826475c6ba12c0bc.gif

smr

smr

Soldato
lol gur3d conclusion statement; 'The flipside of the coin is that you'll receive a product that will be dominant in that Ultra HD space. Your games average out anywhere from 60 to 100+ FPS, well, aside from Flight Simulator 2020 :)'

MSFS 2020 is just a bully to any GFX card.

The good thing is that even High settings, below Ultra, FS 2020 still looks better than every game out.

Soldato
A lot of the Hardware Unboxed 1440p results were CPU bound at the top end.

I'm guessing they will redo the results with a 10900K at some point.

The plan of covering off any PCIE3 and PCIE4 differences failed.

Soldato
These cards seem more aimed at getting Pascal owners to upgrade IMO (and it was mentioned and/or hinted at several times in the announcement presentation).

Surely that's a good thing? How bad would it look if Nvidia cards have a 2 year life?

Aiming at Pascal shows that they expect their cards to last at least 4 years. I don't particularly like Nvidia but Jenson gets my respect for that.

Associate
These cards seem more aimed at getting Pascal owners to upgrade IMO (and it was mentioned and/or hinted at several times in the announcement presentation).

3080 is a very good upgrade for anyone without a very high end OC AIB 2080Ti and the 3080 is not a 2080Ti replacement it is a 2080 replacement and it that regards it does hit around 80% increased performance at 4K

People keep comparing the 3080 FE (a £650 card) against a high end OC 2080Ti (a £1350 - £1700) card depending on the AIB and bitching about only a 20% increase on average and they should really just stop.

Associate
I watched the same video from DF and never had those expectations. Did you skip the part of the video where DF said...plainly..that Nvidia picked the games they were allowed to show?

Did you think Nvidia would pick games that were representative of what people could expect across a wide range of titles? ...Or maybe consider that Nvidia would chose the absolute best-case scenario to show?

DF said that Nvidia picked the titles.

They told us. I don't know why you are mad at DF.
No, I didn't miss that but Nvidia used DF's reputation to hype it up. I wouldn't expect them to post anything that isn't representative of the final product, that's how respected they have become... until now.

Nvidia probably approached several different YouTubers who thought better of it. You can't have it both ways, either get into bed with these companies or keep your reputation.

Soldato
Surely that's a good thing? How bad would it look if Nvidia cards have a 2 year life?

Aiming at Pascal shows that they expect their cards to last at least 4 years. I don't particularly like Nvidia but Jenson gets my respect for that.

To me it came across that Turing didn't do as well as they expected and they are trying to convince Pascal users that it's worth upgrading now. Didn't come across like they expect people to skip generations at all.

Back
Top Bottom