LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Associate
Right, it's up on the wall. The whites are white, the blacks are black. No dead pixels and cannot see any banding. Let's hope this is the one and I can finally enjoy it. Little light and dark room pictures. :D

That looks fantastic, very close to the setup I was thinking of.

Could you expand on how much light you had in the first photo with a little light? How big are your windows there, did you have to close curtains / blinds to get that shot?

I'm rather worried our TV room has far too much light to enable me to get an OLED for sensible daytime viewing

Soldato
Got my CX last week after my C6 developed some faults so ended up getting the full value of the TV back on a gift card. Got the CX for downstairs and moved the C9 upstairs. Overall the CX just edges the C9 in terms of picture and the fact it has freesync but the lack of DTS is a bit of a pain on the CX so prefer the C9 in that regard. Fantastic TV's though, can't wait to get the 3080/Series X and PS5 running on them!

Associate
For people who have had to return multiple units, who did you buy from what reason do you offer for the return?

Is screen uniformity or banding a valid (faulty) reason to return for the lottery of a different panel?

Or do you use the unwanted item rule of distance selling? Although isn't this a bit difficult if you've had the unit out and unpacked?

Concerned as the quality of the 65" seems a lot more at risk of poor screen quality than the 55"

Soldato
That looks fantastic, very close to the setup I was thinking of.

Could you expand on how much light you had in the first photo with a little light? How big are your windows there, did you have to close curtains / blinds to get that shot?

I'm rather worried our TV room has far too much light to enable me to get an OLED for sensible daytime viewing

That's actually with the curtains open on both images, except one was around midday and the other around 10pm at night. Here's a picture from a while back with the window which is the only light in, as usually keep the other door into the other room closed while watching something.

The only thing I've added since then which makes the room a tad darker is I've got privacy film on the window now, so people in the day can't see in through the window. Found it has however helped major with reflections and such. But that room doesn't get the sun directly on it anyway until right at the very end of the day.

myGFytL.jpg

Soldato
For people who have had to return multiple units, who did you buy from what reason do you offer for the return?

Is screen uniformity or banding a valid (faulty) reason to return for the lottery of a different panel?

Or do you use the unwanted item rule of distance selling? Although isn't this a bit difficult if you've had the unit out and unpacked?

Concerned as the quality of the 65" seems a lot more at risk of poor screen quality than the 55"

John Lewis would be your best shout, but you will need to take the protect plus out, which is an extra £140 but worth it. This will cover everything, accidental damage, banding, screen burn the whole shabam for 5 years. I had to replace 3 panels, 1 which devolved a physical line down the TV. I actually bought this from a different company and had an absolute nightmare trying to swap, so I refunded instead. After got second panel from John Lewis (no protect plus at the time, I've only just added that on as you can do so up to 60 days after). Ran a banding test and it was really bad. Rang them up and no hassle what so ever and did me a next day replacement. Third panel touch wood has had no issues since, but thought to myself for the sake of £140, peace of mind for screen burn and accidental damage alone was worth it.

Associate
Cheers @Simmz, thats really helpful on both counts.

I'm thinking John Lewis for sure now as the retailer, I was reading from AVS about the burn cover just this morning. Your confirmation of ease of replacement should it be needed really gives it peace of mind.

With light, our room as a huge 5.5ft window across the main width of the room, which the TV faces. The room also faces due south and has another window 3.5ft at the end of the room We have blinds and blackout curtains so the room can be very dark if needed, but obviously thats not entirely practical all the time. I will have to post a image for peoples thoughts when I'm home.

I've been trying to find out the brightness of our old plasma, the Panasonic PX80 as by all accounts they were, and are now (given the 12 years of run time!) a lot dimmer than even the softest OLED screens. If the old Panasonic plasma was never as bright as the LG OLED I'm worrying about nothing!

Associate
John Lewis would be your best shout, but you will need to take the protect plus out, which is an extra £140 but worth it. This will cover everything, accidental damage, banding, screen burn the whole shabam for 5 years. I had to replace 3 panels, 1 which devolved a physical line down the TV. I actually bought this from a different company and had an absolute nightmare trying to swap, so I refunded instead. After got second panel from John Lewis (no protect plus at the time, I've only just added that on as you can do so up to 60 days after). Ran a banding test and it was really bad. Rang them up and no hassle what so ever and did me a next day replacement. Third panel touch wood has had no issues since, but thought to myself for the sake of £140, peace of mind for screen burn and accidental damage alone was worth it.

John Lewis also have 18months interest free finance at the moment!

Associate
65"
That price match policy is bonkers good! Everywhere else I would have gotten it from is the same price, RS, cramptonmoor, currys etc so didn't think there was much point waiting for a later deal

Associate
With my delivery tomorrow obviously the best thing to do is worry about things like this awful near black picture degradation from the CX thread over on the AVSForums
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-oled-cx-gx-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.3119288/post-60121550

I've read through the whole thread here and generally everyone is happy, which I'm sure I will also be. I'd like to think the people over at AVS are nit-picking, but the images from later in their thread are appalling!

Soldato
Surprised at the issues with such an expensive item. Are these just early production issues or is this normal for modern OLED TV's? I'm thinking this will be my next upgrade as I can't see any competitors coming in the next come of years. Q-OLED sounds interesting but I'm expecting high prices.

Soldato
Surprised at the issues with such an expensive item. Are these just early production issues or is this normal for modern OLED TV's? I'm thinking this will be my next upgrade as I can't see any competitors coming in the next come of years. Q-OLED sounds interesting but I'm expecting high prices.

No TV is perfect and the next best thing will not be perfect either they ALL have issues.

Soldato
No TV is perfect and the next best thing will not be perfect either they ALL have issues.

Agreed, I was coming more from a manufacturing defect angle though rather than just an inherent weakness in the technology. i.e. max brightness seems to be a weakness of OLED but panel uniformity is down to the process.

Back
Top Bottom