• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Give it 6 months and that 10GB will be on its ass in nexgen console ports. You want future proof, 10 GB ain't it.
No need to future proof, just sell in 18-24 months (before next gen hits) and buy the next gen MCM designed cards which will likely be a game changer and have no less than 16gb anyway.

Now that I've seen a few reviews 10Gb isn't enough for me. It's getting bested by a 2080ti in a lot of games at 4k. Won't be long before that's almost every game.
Link please, not seen one 3080 FE review demonstrate 10gb being an issue so far.

Soldato
Ahh - so you don't, in fact, have any tangible proof other than another user's opinion. Thanks for confirming :)
All they are going to do is ignore it.
We have the proof we need that 10GB isn't enough. And when you show it they will simply say that it's not "powerful enough".
They have to stick to that narrative ;). LOL
"We have the proof we need that 10GB isn't enough." Doesn't require me to prove to you that it's not. It's based on information provided and making a decision based on it.
What you've done is create a strawman to imply that I've have proof. Which isn't saying exactly the same that I have enough information for myself to make such a decision. I this case, part of that decision is based on next gen console ports that are more open world using ray tracing.

But nice try though. ;)

But let me ask you, do you have any proof in such situations as mentioned above that 10GB is enough?

Associate
No need to future proof, just sell in 18-24 months (before next gen hits) and buy the next gen MCM designed cards which will likely be a game changer and have no less than 16gb anyway.

Link please, not seen one review demonstrate 10gb being an issue so far.

Exactly this, regardless of the vram amount, trying to future-proof a graphics card is a futile endeavour. You'd never buy anything.

Caporegime
I don't claim to have any proof until a fair few next-gen games have been launched.

However we can see a precedent from history with other cards that launched with a miserly amount of VRAM, and didn't last very long because of it.

I'm sure the 3080 will be fine with last gen's games, and potentially up to the launch after Ampere (tho we might even then see some games that suffer).

But as I've said throughout the thread, those looking to keep there cards longer than one release cycle might regret paying £650 for a 10GB card!

It's a fair chunk o' change, and I'd expect a bit more for that money. Personally I'd have been happy with 12GB+ (tho I'd have liked to see that on the 3070 tbh, with 16GB for the 3080).

Caporegime
One last thing: the 3070 costs as much as a next-gen console, with 2GB less VRAM, and a reported performance roughly on par with a next-gen console.

Surely that is a sore point for PCMR types to just suck up?

Soldato

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Associate
One last thing: the 3070 costs as much as a next-gen console, with 2GB less VRAM, and a reported performance roughly on par with a next-gen console.

Surely that is a sore point for PCMR types to just suck up?

Why? Just buy both? What’s the problem and why think people get ‘sore’ about such matters?

Soldato
"We have the proof we need that 10GB isn't enough." Doesn't require me to prove to you that it's not. It's based on information provided and making a decision based on it.
What you've done is create a strawman to imply that I've have proof. Which isn't saying exactly the same that I have enough for myself to make such a decision.

But nice try though. ;)

Lol - this is not a strawman at all. You've been quoted as saying you have proof when clearly you don't. What you do have is an 'opinion', which is of course your right to express. 'In my opinion, based on what I have seen and read, 10gb vram is not enough' would perhaps be a more accurate way to write your post. Saying you have 'proof' when you don't doesn't make your argument any stronger, which incidentally is exactly what would happen if you had the proof you purport to have.

Associate
Soldato
Soldato
Lol - this is not a strawman at all. You've been quoted as saying you have proof when clearly you don't. What you do have is an 'opinion', which is of course your right to express. 'In my opinion, based on what I have seen and read, 10gb vram is not enough' would perhaps be a more accurate way to write your post. Saying you have 'proof' when you don't doesn't make your argument any stronger, which incidentally is exactly what would happen if you had the proof you purport to have.
The expression of the post is in fact an opinion. After further explaining to you why it's clear that it is a strawman. Implying/saying "I have the proof I/we need" and providing you that proof. IE: next gen console open world/RT/Assets Streaming ports is the actual reason. To say it's not is simply ignoring the explanation given.

However, it's still all opinion based. It shouldn't need to be said in every post. Now I ask you. Do you have any proof in such situations that 10GB is enough for these ray traced, open world games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom