• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The expression of the post is in fact an opinion. After further explaining to you why it's clear that it is a strawman. Implying/saying "I have the proof I/we need" and providing you that proof. IE: next gen console open world/RT/Assets Streaming ports is the actual proof. To say it's not is simply ignoring the explanation given.

However, it's still all opinion based. It shouldn't need to be said in every post. Now I ask you. Do you have any proof in such situations that 10GB is enough for these ray traced, open world games?

Nope, none at all. But I'm willing to take a gamble based on my opinion (which is based on what I have seen and read so far). Thank you for clarifying that in your opinion it isn't enough.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Guys, 10GB is enough for now as I said, by the time it becomes a issue we will be rocking next gen cards. Now if you are the type who does not upgrade often then by all means get a card with more vram, won't catch me arguing against that. But for this gen I can see 10gb not being enough maybe in a handful of games and that can easily be fixed too by just going one lower on the texture setting, and believe me, in most cases it is hard to spot the difference.

I just say it as it is. No taking sides or agenda. Did I want it to have more than 10gb? Hell yes, should have been no less than 12gb, ideally 16gb. But that is not how it worked out and if I understand correctly, the only other option they can give us right now due to the bus width and memory modules from micron that is available is 20gb.

**** paying the extra £100+ for that... As I say, by the time I need it I will be on a next gen card ;)

Caporegime
Why? Just buy both? What’s the problem and why think people get ‘sore’ about such matters?
If money isn't an object then sure. But then you'd buy a console and a 3090. Or five. Or ten :p

That's not the point. The 3070 would appear to offer the same perf as a next gen console, with less VRAM, for the same money.

Doesn't seem like a smart purchase to me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If money isn't an object then sure. But then you'd buy a console and a 3090. Or five. Or ten :p

That's not the point. The 3070 would appear to offer the same perf as a next gen console, with less VRAM, for the same money.

Doesn't seem like a smart purchase to me.
You buying a console then are you? Quitting PC gaming? :p:D

Caporegime
You buying a console then are you? Quitting PC gaming? :p:D
I won't be buying a 3070 that's for sure ;)

I can see purpose to a faster than console card/experience for a price premium.

What I can't see a purpose to is paying the same for one single component (vs the whole console cost) that just about matches it. Riddle me that :)

Associate

What I can't see a purpose to is paying the same for one single component (vs the whole console cost) that just about matches it. Riddle me that :)

I actually can't stand console controllers! Also play other games such as MMO's which granted doesn't need a 3080, but means i'm much less likely to look at consoles for my gaming platform of choice. And personally, just like the PC building/tweaking hobby, as expensive as it is.

Caporegime
I actually can't stand console controllers! Also play other games such as MMO's which granted doesn't need a 3080, but means i'm much less likely to look at consoles for my gaming platform of choice. And personally, just like the PC building/tweaking hobby, as expensive as it is.
There was talk of Sony or MS allowing m+kb with these new consoles? I don't know if it's true or not.

I actually love controllers :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Different business model. Nvidia are looking to make nice juicy profits from each sale, consoles sell near break even or in some cases a loss and make up money on game sales.

Soldato
You have to look at the testbed used for any clues.

In this case we need to see a comparison between Gen3 and Gen4 to see if there is any fluctuation in performance between 1080p/1440p and 4K. It's not clear but there maybe a bandwidth bottleneck in thet FS2020 result. Since that's only available with AMD and AMD CPUs will provide it's own results we need to see if the same thing repeats using Ryzen CPU.

Caporegime
Different business model. Nvidia are looking to make nice juicy profits from each sale, consoles sell near break even or in some cases a loss and make up money on game sales.
But as a consumer I don't care about that. I'm looking at the value proposition to me.

And with sales + the 2nd hand game market, console games don't have to be more expensive either.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But as a consumer I don't care about that. I'm looking at the value proposition to me.
I agree, so how comes you don’t buy a console and be done with it? :p

With consoles I find they can end up being more expensive unless you do what I do which is to play a game and quickly sell it before the price goes down. On PC I get games much cheaper and happy to keep them as I don’t have to worry if they will work in the future which is always an isssue with consoles as what you buy on one consoles is not guaranteed to work on next gen or one after that.

Soldato
Guys, 10GB is enough for now as I said, by the time it becomes a issue we will be rocking next gen cards. Now if you are the type who does not upgrade often then by all means get a card with more vram, won't catch me arguing against that. But for this gen I can see 10gb not being enough maybe in a handful of games and that can easily be fixed too by just going one lower on the texture setting, and believe me, in most cases it is hard to spot the difference.

I just say it as it is. No taking sides or agenda. Did I want it to have more than 10gb? Hell yes, should have been no less than 12gb, ideally 16gb. But that is not how it worked out and if I understand correctly, the only other option they can give us right now due to the bus width and memory modules from micron that is available is 20gb.

**** paying the extra £100+ for that... As I say, by the time I need it I will be on a next gen card ;)

Yeah. I changed my mind about this, was very disappointed initially when the 10GB 3080 was announced. After seeing that none of the main reviews mentioned any issues at 4k, I'm reassured. Plus we need to accept that Nvidia commands the PC gaming market. They are the market leader, and AAA game developers will cater to Nvidia's cards a a priority, they'll make sure 10GB is absolutely fine for 4k while the 3080 is the flagship.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah. I changed my mind about this, was very disappointed initially when the 10GB 3080 was announced. After seeing that none of the main reviews mentioned any issues at 4k, I'm reassured. Plus we need to accept that Nvidia commands the PC gaming market. They are the market leader, and AAA game developers will cater to Nvidia's cards a a priority, they'll make sure 10GB is absolutely fine for 4k while the 3080 is the flagship.
Respect, you saw the light.

As I recall you was one of the guys who kept going on about 10gb not being enough and slating it hard. I did try and show you the light, but was unsuccessful in my attempts :p

Edit:

Your ignoring resolution. At 4k we already need more than 10GB in current games.... Newer games designed for the new consoles, and then ported to PC, will use more VRAM.

1080P still fine with 10GB of course, though this is for very old PC's these days.

10GB is fine for 1080P and 1440P. It's absolutely not fine for 4K. Even today, several titles need more than 10GB for consistently smooth gameplay. The consoles are getting an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB RAM/VRAM this year, so it's common sense, even to small children, that VRAM requirements will increase going forward.

Yep, was definitely you :p

Caporegime
I agree, so how comes you don’t buy a console and be done with it? :p

With consoles I find they can end up being more expensive unless you do what I do which is to play a game and quickly sell it before the price goes down. On PC I get games much cheaper and happy to keep them as I don’t have to worry if they will work in the future which is always an isssue with consoles as what you buy on one consoles is not guaranteed to work on next gen or one after that.
I never buy on release (games) on either platform.

Frustratingly, I've found that PC games are now holding their value a lot longer than they used to. Discounts aren't as deep either.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I never buy on release (games) on either platform.

Frustratingly, I've found that PC games are now holding their value a lot longer than they used to. Discounts aren't as deep either.
If it is a game I know I will enjoy and want to see a sequel, I am happy paying around £35-£40 which I still can. Got Cyberpunk 2077 on steam for £35 for example. I know I will get my money’s worth there. Other games that look interesting but not a must play, I will wait and pick up cheap 12 months after release.

Caporegime
If it is a game I know I will enjoy and want to see a sequel, I am happy paying around £35-£40 which I still can. Got Cyberpunk 2077 on steam for £35 for example. I know I will get my money’s worth there. Other games that look interesting but not a must play, I will wait and pick up cheap 12 months after release.
Too rich for my blood :p £15 absolute max I pay for any game :p

Mostly £5 is where I bite haha. Steam library full of stuff I must get around to playing. Many of them having launched at £40 too.

Soldato
I disagree with the bolded statement. Why would developers care what Nvidia wants? Lets say a developer releases a game that needs 12GB of VRAM. What is Nvidia going to do about it? Block the game from running on PCs with an Nvidia GPU?
The only games Nvidia could potentially have a say in are gamework titles and even then I can't see a developer changing their creative vision because someone from Nvidia knocked on the door.

Regarding the underlined statement, do you honestly think that we won't see a 3080ti within a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom