*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Man of Honour
Is it just me or does anyone else get massive Grand Theft Auto vibes from this game? That might be exciting for a lot of people, but for me, I'm actually a little worried. They keep reiterating that it's a full-blown RPG, but I just don't get that feeling from all the material I've seen. It just looks like a cyberpunked GTA with the same crackpot characters and an end goal to rule the area/city/map by going from one quest giver to the next.

That might sound a little overly negative, but as an RPG fan and someone who thinks Witcher 3 is one of, if not THE best game ever made, the pre-launch promotional campaign isn't really gripping me the way everyone else seems to be.

I'm actually having a hard time working out what this game is and what it wants to be. So many of the videos seem to be snippets of "oh wow wouldn't this be cool to do" features that don't seem to mesh together.

Soldato
Is it just me or does anyone else get massive Grand Theft Auto vibes from this game? That might be exciting for a lot of people, but for me, I'm actually a little worried. They keep reiterating that it's a full-blown RPG, but I just don't get that feeling from all the material I've seen. It just looks like a cyberpunked GTA with the same crackpot characters and an end goal to rule the area/city/map by going from one quest giver to the next.

That might sound a little overly negative, but as an RPG fan and someone who thinks Witcher 3 is one of, if not THE best game ever made, the pre-launch promotional campaign isn't really gripping me the way everyone else seems to be.

I would love for it to be a new age System shock. Yes, it's looking more and more like a GTA V with robots :p:D

It's being released for consoles too remember, so it can't be a full on RPG where you have to actually think and solve problems instead of running people over and racing!

Associate
If it's just a futuristic dystopian GTA5 then..... I'm still stupidly excited :D

If it's what I hope it will be- Deus Ex in a properly large-scale interactive environment, with it's own emergent behaviour and masses to do and explore on your own initiative, then I'm insanely excited!

In a way I hope it's not a techno Witcher 3. For me the Witcher is an interactive novel- huge, epic, amazing story but not really much to do outside of the story except.... fight things and maybe collect some swords and armour. I've played (and still do play) GTA5 and RDR2 for hours outside of the plot simply because there's still things to do and fun to be had. I hope Cyberpunk has a massive slice of that off-plot stuff.

EDIT: That's in no way a criticism of the Witcher 3- very few games have made me laugh, cry, feel anger, hatred, love... more than that game. It's an amazing vehicle for an amazing story.

Caporegime
Really looking forward to getting this. But it will be a buy on PS5 first and sell the disc (yes, I’m going back to Blu-ray next gen) and then buy the GotY edition on Steam when it’s out.

Soldato

its nothing like gta lol

Soldato
I mean, it has cars and open city, so on superficial level it is "like GTA". On deeper level it is a fullblown RPG, with deep character development and customization, extensive player agency, choices and consequences in every quest both immediate and longterm, focus on exploration horizontal and vertical, et cetera.

Someone may be ignorant about what C77 is, but that's irrelevant.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
For me the Witcher is an interactive novel- huge, epic, amazing story but not really much to do outside of the story except....
This is interesting, and maybe explains why I haven't been able to stick it more than a couple of sessions each time I install.

Maybe with this perspective I can give it another shot with different expectations of what I'm gonna get out of it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I mean, it has cars and open city, so on superficial level it is "like GTA". On deeper level it is a fullblown RPG, with deep character development and customization, extensive player agency, choices and consequences in every quest both immediate and longterm, focus on exploration horizontal and vertical, et cetera.

Someone may be ignorant about what C77 is, but that's irrelevant.
Yea, this game is going to me so much more than GTA.

Soldato
I'm actually having a hard time working out what this game is and what it wants to be. So many of the videos seem to be snippets of "oh wow wouldn't this be cool to do" features that don't seem to mesh together.

lol yeah I feel the same, I keep looking at the videos, demos, screenshots and saying "wow" but I'm not 100% sure what's actually going on in the game, in the larger scheme of things.

Associate
This is interesting, and maybe explains why I haven't been able to stick it more than a couple of sessions each time I install.

Maybe with this perspective I can give it another shot with different expectations of what I'm gonna get out of it.

You should- I was the same first time around- apart from pretty scenery and impressive cities it seemed that the world was totally non-interactive, with nothing to do except fight monsters and search barrels. I actually put it down for about 6 months, then thought surely all the rave reviews surely can't be wrong, gave it another try and the story caught me.

Soldato
PC specs reveal on Friday:
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1306247387778875393

New details about the game:

New shinies:
Eh4OwnCWkAUsnKT

EiCbCajX0AEv4b7

Soldato
I hadn't really given this game any thought. But it does look like my sort of game, Fallout, Rage that sort of thing. Hopefully my 3700x will be up to the task, maybe even my 1660gtx with some compromise.

Back
Top Bottom