Respirators / Filters / Paint / Asbestos

Associate
Greetings,

I have came to the point in my life where I have to buy a respirator and some filters. And I am totally clueless of what to get.

There's 2 project that I would like to undertake.

One "might" consist of asbestos and some dust particles
Second would be to paint strip the wheels, prime, spray and clear coat them.

Is there a universal, ready to go, filter that I can use to tackle both of these projects.
So far I think I need the half face respirator, I am thinking about the

3M 7502 Reusable Half Face Mask Respirator

and

M3 6053 filters to tackle the Asbestos part.

Would these work for that second job as well ?

Any input would help, cheers.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I have no advice to give other than whatever you get you must do something like this:

sqiMmsH.jpg

Hope that helps on your decision :D

Commissario
Looking at the filters they seem to ok for "some" asbestos tasks but I cannot see which ones (honestly unless you know what you're doing with asbestos it's best not to do it yourself), I can't see it's specifications mentioning vapours at all which is part of what you want if you're dealing with spray paint.

From memory filters come in three basic types:
Particulates (sanding/dust/asbestos etc).
Vapours (various gasses/organic vapours)
And combination filters that do both.

For painting I use a P3 combination filter as it deals with both the particulates from the paint, and any vapours (IIRC my filters only cost a pound or so more for the combo ones than the particulate only).

Soldato
RTFM.

Consult the spec sheets (they should be available online).

Failing that, ring the supplier. If I was prepping for asbestos, I'd ring them regardless.

Last edited:
Associate
Need more than just a half respirator for asbestos. Even a few particles can cause mesothelioma, hence the need for a full disposable suit, cleaned down work area etc.

Soldato
What ever it is - stay clear of the asbestos. It's not worth the hassle.

There is a lot of regulations around moving/removing it and whether it's a small project or not doesn't matter.

Soldato
Need more than just a half respirator for asbestos. Even a few particles can cause mesothelioma, hence the need for a full disposable suit, cleaned down work area etc.

Not entirely true... I am a qualified Asbestos remover and we only need full masks for notifiable jobs for removing Asbestos Insulation Board, Asbestos Rope, the more dangerous types...

Associate
Not entirely true... I am a qualified Asbestos remover and we only need full masks for notifiable jobs for removing Asbestos Insulation Board, Asbestos Rope, the more dangerous types...

What about sanding it though (as the OP is planning)? I'd assume that would kick up so many fibres compared to a job removing intact items .

Soldato
What about sanding it though (as the OP is planning)? I'd assume that would kick up so many fibres compared to a job removing intact items .

I suppose it could release a fair bit, we use our half masks on jobs that we get daily like Soffits, Floor Tiles, Artex ceiling etc but the masks are cleaned after each job, we do weekly check sheets for the masks and filters changed every week but that's not to say that's what everyone does :)

Soldato
Greetings,

I have came to the point in my life where I have to buy a respirator and some filters. And I am totally clueless of what to get.

There's 2 project that I would like to undertake.

One "might" consist of asbestos and some dust particles
Second would be to paint strip the wheels, prime, spray and clear coat them.

Is there a universal, ready to go, filter that I can use to tackle both of these projects.
So far I think I need the half face respirator, I am thinking about the

3M 7502 Reusable Half Face Mask Respirator

and

M3 6053 filters to tackle the Asbestos part.

Would these work for that second job as well ?

Any input would help, cheers.

Take a look at Scott Safety, they are owned now by 3M but there entire thing is making PPE and you will find a lot more variety and interchangeable filters designed for filtering different things via them rather than looking directly at 3M.

Im familiar with this as i make all of the above :)

Commissario
Take a look at Scott Safety, they are owned now by 3M but there entire thing is making PPE and you will find a lot more variety and interchangeable filters designed for filtering different things via them rather than looking directly at 3M.

Im familiar with this as i make all of the above :)
Ah would that be why some of the Scott filters were showing as discontinued earlier in the year? (IIRC the ones for my half mask were showing as last of stock), hopefully just waiting on new packaging/sku's: ) although i haven't checked since as I bought enough for a year or two of my normal use.

I use a Scott mask for airbrushing and it's surprisingly comfortable:)

Soldato
Ah would that be why some of the Scott filters were showing as discontinued earlier in the year? (IIRC the ones for my half mask were showing as last of stock), hopefully just waiting on new packaging/sku's: ) although i haven't checked since as I bought enough for a year or two of my normal use.

I use a Scott mask for airbrushing and it's surprisingly comfortable:)

to my understanding some ranges simply have been discontinued due to production complications and lack of sales there are a couple of masks / filters in particular that we move extremely large volumes of i can't go into too much details really for annual numbers but today i have moved well over 50,000 filters. And those are all from the same line and are always in high demand.

As for half mask i can say they are still in production. Do you have a picture of the filter that you used on it perhaps? i will be able to advise better then.

Back
Top Bottom