• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The bottleneck *IS* the 3080.

See how they doubled the CUDA cores? they did that because Samsung 8nm was so crap. However, there's a penalty to that. If you don't load the crap out of them and make them work hard they sit idle. See also 64 core 128 thread Threadripper. And at 1440p? you are wasting your money.

Never, ever buy the wrong card for the wrong res fella. Not ever. You are throwing money away.

Took a bung.

I was aiming for that card at 1440P 144Hz but guess thats a bad idea. Perhaps the 3070 would be better for me.

Associate
Interesting that an overclocked 4770K (and not a great overclock and not great memory spec) isn't hideously far behind at the kind of settings people will actually use i.e. 1440p with high settings, etc. though I bet the minimums aren't so rosy. I'm still really conflicted how soon I will upgrade my 4820K at 4.6GHz (with some actual good RAM and quad channel) for 1440p and some 4K gaming unless games start to really hit it out the park with multi-thread use.

I am in the same boat in the sense that I've got a 5960x and unsure how much of a bottleneck it would cause to a 3080. It has performed really well so far and would hate to get rid of it.

Soldato
Has anyone seen Project Cars 2 benchmarks on the 3080? Tom's and Hammer on Box benched it last year when AMD's 3000 series CPU's came out, but neither of them had in the lineup today.

Associate
Hmm maybe not available tomorrow but no rush, Think I'll get the Msi Trio 1815 boost with what seems they've gone past the default 320w TDP and it uses 340, can be had for 750 elsewhere, seems decent to me for that OC and no doubt can probably feed more juice into it if it's already unlocked to 540w.

Soldato
Think i've decided against the 3080 due to cooling. It would dump heat into my pull push CPU HSF
The extra power draw and frames with my i7 [email protected] (3440x1440) would not be much higher i expect either

The only thing i'm thinking is if I can grab a FE card tomorrow and sell my 2080Ti which still has over 3 years warrenty (I extended it) but then would have more heat in my case and also the power consumer would be higher, so high leccy bills which seem to constantly be going up :rolleyes:

Either that or of course just buy one, wait a few days then stick it on eBay. It's scabby and similar to ticket touts which I hate but who wouldnt buy something one day then sell it a few days later for £200 or £300 profit?!

Associate
Think i've decided against the 3080 due to cooling. It would dump heat into my pull push CPU HSF
The extra power draw and frames with my i7 [email protected] (3440x1440) would not be much higher i expect either

The only thing i'm thinking is if I can grab a FE card tomorrow and sell my 2080Ti which still has over 3 years warrenty (I extended it) but then would have more heat in my case.

Either that or of course just buy one, wait a few days then stick it on eBay. It's scabby and similar to ticket touts which I hate but who wouldnt buy something one day then sell it a few days later for £200 or £300 profit?!
Leave the cards for people who want/need one.
Scalping sucks.

Soldato
having seen the benchmarks, i'm gonna opt for a 3080 and a waterblock, then use the extra money for a new 4000 ryzen cpu and more ssd storage for up coming games rather than drop £1400 for the 3090, at 4k the 3080 does look like the best option really

Associate
having seen the benchmarks, i'm gonna opt for a 3080 and a waterblock, then use the extra money for a new 4000 ryzen cpu and more ssd storage for up coming games rather than drop £1400 for the 3090, at 4k the 3080 does look like the best option really
Yea I’m gonna get a 3080 and try my g12 AIO on it and upgraded from my 3600 to maybe a 4900 or 4800 when they out for more cpu scaling goodness... Overtake intels final crown, single threaded speed.

Associate

The only thing i'm thinking is if I can grab a FE card tomorrow and sell my 2080Ti which still has over 3 years warrenty (I extended it) but then would have more heat in my case and also the power consumer would be higher, so high leccy bills which seem to constantly be going up :rolleyes:

Someone whose moral compass isn't completely off? We're not talking about fair business practice here, we're talking about you denying someone a legitimate purchase with the intention of selling it to them at a higher price. That's not cool.

Soldato
The bottleneck *IS* the 3080.

See how they doubled the CUDA cores? they did that because Samsung 8nm was so crap. However, there's a penalty to that. If you don't load the crap out of them and make them work hard they sit idle. See also 64 core 128 thread Threadripper. And at 1440p? you are wasting your money.

It’s not so much double the cudas it’s just double the shader calculations per clock. Cuda count remains the same 3080 has 4352 as well as likely everything else so you don’t get 2x the performance. Well no where near it looks like.

If it was true 2x cudas then we would be seeing much more performance.

Nvidia have just marketed it that way. That’s why they are now called “nvidia cuda cores” and just double the numbers why 3080 is exactly 2x 4352. On Turing and previous gens was just cuda cores.

But yes Samsung 8nm is pretty crap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom