• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So who thinks big navi can get close to the 3080 now that we know how it performs? What kind of specs are we talking to achieve that?
There was a early engineering sample of a unknown Radeon GPU beating a 2080ti in openVR from january this year so I would imagen things have come along since then.

small-openvr-benchmark-results.jpg

Permabanned
Which I like. :D Must be annoying for Nvidia too knowing whether they need to rush out the bigger memory’ed 3080ti or not.

I didn't know that memory size contributes to performance. It's extremely expensive overkill.

There was a early engineering sample of a unknown Radeon GPU beating a 2080ti in openVR from january this year so I would imagen things have come along since then.

small-openvr-benchmark-results.jpg

That could be a GPU with Navi 10's size and RDNA 2 architecture giving the 50% performance per watt improvement.

Soldato
So who thinks big navi can get close to the 3080 now that we know how it performs? What kind of specs are we talking to achieve that?
No one really knows right now.
It was the same with the HD4870 before launch - none of the rumours were true!
From what I've gathered AMD is aware of ampere replacement skus and they are keeping things close to the chest (rumor).
But yeah, AMD does that all the time when it comes to releases.

Soldato
As soon as Jensen announced that ampere was on 8NM I said that they would be in trouble and I still stand by that and even more so now we've seen the 3080 performance figures.

If Nvidia had went with TSMC 7nm then the gains would likely have been 40-50% over the 2080ti at a similar power budget.

Soldato
The biggest clue of all comes from Nvidia. They wouldn't change tack so drastically and "cheaply" if they didn't suspect some serious competition. Love them or hate them Nvidia are sharp operators and don't make business lightly. That's why they are as big as they are.

I'm expecting AMD to leapfrog them and Nvidia to counter. Then depending on the exact match up pricing will be refined.

Edit: autocorrect!

Soldato
As soon as Jensen announced that ampere was on 8NM I said that they would be in trouble and I still stand by that and even more so now we've seen the 3080 performance figures.

If Nvidia had went with TSMC 7nm then the gains would likely have been 40-50% over the 2080ti at a similar power budget.
Based on AdoredTV's video this stuff is decided as soon as they start designing these chips. I do wonder if Nvidia will pull the brakes on Hopper and pivot it back to TSMC or if they will charge along full steam ahead with Samsung.

Soldato
I didn't know that memory size contributes to performance. It's extremely expensive overkill.

It doesn’t necessarily but us humans like numbers and bigger/more is always better in a lot of people’s eyes regardless. You can also guarantee that the company with the larger figure will make a big deal about it.

Soldato
No, no, I was comparing it to AMD latest GPU aka 5700XT.

Here are the RAW facts ladies and gents:

Let me brake it down for you lot.

Big NAVI needs to be 100% quicker than 5700XT in 4k to LVL with 3080. FACT
( 4K its where this will be fought. not 1080p 1440p )

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Right. So.

Big Navi has to be 100% quicker that "fine wine" 5700xt just to LVL. 3080 never mind beat it.
Big Navi has to be 90% quicker that "fine wine" Radeon VII just to LVL 3080.

Both Radeon and 5700xt are already on 7nm TSCM

Which let me tell you right now is a pipe dream. Sorry lads. Aint going to happen.

I tell you what will, probably happen.
We will get a bastardised 60CU from Xbox with RDNA2.
Improved efficency + tweaked Mhz, and now you are probably looking at a 50% uplift over 5700XT.
Which should put us in and around 2080TI/3070 with 16gb of ram, good cooler and now you are talking.

Thats a good card, price it right. :=)

And i just might be interested.

Just dont paper launch that succa on OCT 28 AMD>
Must take into account that the 5700xt isn't a high end card. It's only really a mid range replacement for polaris and it can be 100% faster then those at 4k.

Soldato
The biggest clue of all comes from Nvidia. They wouldn't change tack so drastically and "cheaply" if they didn't suspect some serious competition. Love them or hate them Nvidia are sharp operators and don't make business lightly. That's why they are as big as they are.

I'm expecting AMD to leapfrog them and Nvidia to counter. Then depending on the exact match up pricing will be refined.

Edit: autocorrect!
Nvidia haven't got much to counter with though as they are already at 320w so it's not like they can pump the clocks up much and clearly the cuda count doesn't scale well.

Permabanned
Soldato
AMD cooks something big for us, it seems:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,210.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2080-ti

It simply doesn't make sense that Nvidia bests the RTX 2080 Ti (£1,199.99) by 31-32% on average at 4K and sells the product for $700.

:eek:

Did someone hack 4k8k? He's.... he's been sensible lately :O WHAT HAPPENED? :D

But you're right, I think the 30x0 series and pricing is the biggest evidence that AMD has something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom