• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ampere RTX3000 series review thread

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
If you order tomorrow and it turns out you end up in a pre-order que, how much hassle it is to cancel and get your money back?

Its a little painful, but not too bad. I called them and was able to arrange a return for a 2070 Super FE. Not as easy as a web store that automates it like Amazon.

Soldato
Looks like a nice jump over my 2070S (2080 effective performance) at 1440p, especially in titles like HZD. Now the key thing for me is waiting to see what AMD can bring, how the 3070 performs (it looks like there is enough of a gap that the 3070 might edge out the 2080Ti in some titles whilst being a little slower in other) and also the 3080 works in SFF cases (NZXT H1 in my case).

Hopefully Optimum tech will do a deep dive on the FE (or other partner cards) thermals across a number of popular SFF cases.

I am in no rush to buy right now.

Associate
DF are forever off my watch list after their early benchmark video.

If nothing else, today shows just how hard they were shilling for Nvidia with the cherry picked numbers. A disgrace if you ask me :rolleyes:

They literally said as much in the video, ie a 'selection' of games chosen by Nvidia including resolution.

Permabanned
as most people play on 1080 .. why is it that 98% of reviews are 1440 and above ?
has nvidia said don't do 1080 ? because as we know at 1080 a 3080 sucks balls ..and at 1440 it's not much better in a lot of titles ..
the other thing is the power and heat issue .. amd got bashed for fun for less power ..
to me this whole launch smells funny .. and i pity those that buy a 3080 ..

Associate
Being objective and not jumping on the "only 30% faster than 2080Ti at 4K" because this is exactly the performance I expected. Though I do find it very perpelexing that people keep falling for the Nvidia BS on hype.

Having said that, this is great performance for the price. Though that power is a problem, Nvidia gambled they could save some bucks by bluffing TSMC and failed and now they are stuck with an inferior process. They have a GPU that is seriously power hungry and it is clear all the efficiency saving went in to the performance. Nvidia's greed and arrogance could be their undoing this round.
Agreed, i have a feeling we've watched the same Youtube video. Nvidia cheaping out by using Samsung process may backfire if RDNA 2 is any good.

Soldato
as most people play on 1080 .. why is it that 98% of reviews are 1440 and above ?
has nvidia said don't do 1080 ? because as we know at 1080 a 3080 sucks balls ..and at 1440 it's not much better in a lot of titles ..
the other thing is the power and heat issue .. amd got bashed for fun for less power ..
to me this whole launch smells funny .. and i pity those that buy a 3080 ..

I wouldn't go that far as its still a good card at higher resolutions but yeah at 1080P its hardly any better so not great if your an FPS player and I'm not sure how companies are going be able to flog those 360HZ E-sports panels.

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-DLSS-Ray-Tracing-OFF-1.png

Soldato
I wouldn't go that far as its still a good card at higher resolutions but yeah at 1080P its hardly any better so not great if your an FPS player and I'm not sure how companies are going be able to flog those 360HZ E-sports panels.

They are both CPU limited at 1080p that's all. And anyone buying one of these for 1080p has to be mental tbh.

Permabanned

360hz is for esports you still need reserve power in esports if you think they peg cards at 99% no they want a stable framerate all the time with no dips. Big dips are bad and you want like 300fps solid on that display and you probably DO want a 3080.

I capped my setup at 260fps i simply dont get over it ever, I am probably cpu bound as its a 4770k. But i doubt it could hit 360 even with a new cpu you need the whole package really.

Back
Top Bottom