• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia should copy Microsoft and offer hire-purchase

Soldato
With the next generation of consoles Microsoft is offering a hire-purchase deal. Pay a small monthly payment - effectively 0% APR too - for two years. With GPUs costing the same (give or take) as consoles, offering this sort of deal would nullify the price advantage of consoles.

Caporegime
Hasn't the world had enough of dodgy credit yet.. if you can't afford a £500 console or a £600 GPU, should you really be putting it all on finance?

It seems we are destined to make the same mistakes over and over.

Soldato
Hasn't the world had enough of dodgy credit yet.. if you can't afford a £500 console or a £600 GPU, should you really be putting it all on finance?

I can easily afford to buy a 3090 out right
But i would much rather pay £58 per month over 2 years then take £1400 out my saving in one go

Caporegime
I can easily afford to buy a 3090 out right
But i would much rather pay £58 per month over 2 years then take £1400 out my saving in one go
The OP said
nullify the price advantage of consoles
..which to me suggests a kind of "help to buy" deal.

We all know there would be people (and will be in any case, from sites like Very) who buy it on finance when they really ought not to.

Also why would taking £1400 out of your savings be a big deal?

Caporegime
Could just get a 18-24 month interest free credit card and put it on that. Job done.
Yeah but I suspect we all know people who have 5-6 credit cards, plus store cards, etc, and have £1400 on each of them... and still keep putting more and more debt on them.

I know people who do it despite being in fairly unstable situations where they could easily end up in arrears.

It's like it's monopoly money and the debt is not really real.

Soldato
OP
Remember that the competitor here is AMD. Microsoft is offering AMD's competitor at very preferential rates, and I think Nvidia should compte - unless it wants to lose market share.

Soldato
It would be cheap (assuming interest free) as you would gain interest on the savings you haven't spent. Also spreading the cost helps managing things easier.

Permabanned

Its a way of life. The UK has massive debt, Most people do as well for a roof over thier heads. Sports clubs are in debt the only things not in debt are animals ffs.

So if they offer 0% finance for 2yrs sure why not i would totally go for a 3090 just this once!!! Due to the leap to 4k and hating 1080p and 1440p i actually really need more than a 3080 to enjoy myself. Heck i could play so many backlogged titles.

Also NI has no bailiffs so whatever uncertain climate there is no matter what im gonna keep the 3090! Knock on my door all you want i will not hear you with headphones on. :D

Caporegime
I take you you don't have savings or you would know what i mean...
*That's* what you took from my post? No, that's not what I meant.

If £1400 is a large chunk of your savings then spending £1400 is perhaps not "easily affordable", such that credit actually helps you to buy the thing.

I don't buy anything on credit. I do know people who buy everything on credit, and have monthly outgoings equal to their income, and actually struggle to make ends meet.

Not that you'd know it, coz they keep spending £££ on credit cards (etc).

Soldato
I do know people who buy everything on credit, and have monthly outgoings equal to their income, and actually struggle to make ends meet.

Not that you'd know it, coz they keep spending £££ on credit cards (etc).
LOL i got a family member like that and right now she expects everyone to feel sorry for her because she got herself into major debt for spending 10's of thousands on crap she didn't need..

Caporegime
LOL i got a family member like that and right now she expects everyone to feel sorry for her because she got herself into major debt for spending 10's of thousands on crap she didn't need..
I think everybody knows somebody like that. It doesn't seem uncommon.

And a lot of what they're buying is just tat that they don't even want, need or use.

Soldato
I think everybody knows somebody like that. It doesn't seem uncommon.

And a lot of what they're buying is just tat that they don't even want, need or use.

I think it's a lot worse than most suspect. Personal debt levels are very high, employment prospects poor, increasing inflation, national debt climbing etc. I'd definitely not want to have much debt hanging over me right now. Glad I fixed my mortgage until the end of its term.

Caporegime
I think it's a lot worse than most suspect. Personal debt levels are very high, employment prospects poor, increasing inflation, national debt climbing etc. I'd definitely not want to have much debt hanging over me right now. Glad I fixed my mortgage until the end of its term.
The thing is, we're all going to pay for it when the country starts being unable to repay its collective debt.

Savers will be shafted along with the financially irresponsible.

Back
Top Bottom