When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I did a full charge today to my Model 3 SR+ to let the BMS balance the cells which is recommend to do occasionally. As I have Scan My Tesla available in my car I thought I'd see what the battery health was after a year and 9500 miles.

Pack when new: 52.4 kWh
Pack now: 51.6 kWh
Pack degradation: 1.53%
Energy buffer: 2.3 kWh
Usable: 49 kWh

Just for giggles I did a 0-60 3 times which ranged from 5.08 to 5.14 secs. So faster then when new :)

Personally I'm looking forward to when Tesla offer their insurance like they do in California. My insurance isn't expensive compared to my previous cars but the excess is considerably higher.

Soldato
was just wondering what they were in

ENYAQ iV will accompany Mr Prudhomme on tomorrow’s 183-kilometre Tour stage from Gap to Privas and also during two other occasions – the individual time trial from Lure to La Planche des Belles and the final 122-kilometre stage including the grand finish at Champs-Élysées as the leading car is the only vehicle allowed to cross the finish line alongside the cyclists.

The ENYAQ iV is part of a fleet of up to 250 vehicles that ŠKODA is providing to the race management during its 17th year as the official main partner of the Tour de France, this year with an emphasis on the topics of sustainability and electric mobility. Thirty vehicles from the fleet in total are ŠKODA iV models with plug-in hybrid or fully electric drive. As they stand for sustainable individual mobility just as the bicycle does, the Tour de France provides a perfect stage to present the vehicles and premiere the brand new ENYAQ iV to an international audience
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/...v-becomes-the-new-tour-de-france-leading-car/

... re-begs the question on infrastructure, maybe also, what watts you get at ~50kph they're doing today.

Soldato
Isn't expensive insurance more a Tesla issue (rather than a general EV problem) because of slow repairs and costly/hard to obtain parts?

My e-Golf is super cheap to insure (less than $100 for the collision/comprehensive part of the policy) but when I got a quote for a Model Y it was over $500!

For comparison my M850i on the same policy is about $350...

I got ~£25 refund when I swapped from an 06 petrol civic to my Zoe about 4 months into the policy, so pro rata that would be ~£37.50 cheaper on a £250 policy. No idea how much of that is the difference between a 10 year old and brand new car however! Saying that, it's gone up to £315 this year :( (I guess still isn't bad for a Birmingham postcode :p)

Associate
Yeah possibly optimistic but worth a look!

No free charger on our scheme, but I believe it's still in the retail offer. :)

Got a call from the place I bought my last car from, offered me an early PCP upgrade...Didn't manage to get them to £250 a month but because I'd done relatively low mileage on my existing car, they valued it higher than I was expecting...£289 a month was the final offer. Had a think about it and it's actually only about £60-70 a month more than my current PCP, so with the electric vs petrol saving, plus no road tax and it being a much higher spec (went for Elite Nav) decided it was worth it. Get free home charger, including installation and 3 years of servicing included.

I did laugh that when I asked if that was the lowest they could go, he said he'd throw in some car mats and a full tank...

They had a black one in stock, wouldn't have been my first choice, but should get it by the end of the month!

Soldato
Got a call from the place I bought my last car from, offered me an early PCP upgrade...Didn't manage to get them to £250 a month but because I'd done relatively low mileage on my existing car, they valued it higher than I was expecting...£289 a month was the final offer. Had a think about it and it's actually only about £60-70 a month more than my current PCP, so with the electric vs petrol saving, plus no road tax and it being a much higher spec (went for Elite Nav) decided it was worth it. Get free home charger, including installation and 3 years of servicing included.

I did laugh that when I asked if that was the lowest they could go, he said he'd throw in some car mats and a full tank...

They had a black one in stock, wouldn't have been my first choice, but should get it by the end of the month!

Nice!

Soldato
The people currently in charge of BMW styling need to leave, seriously. That is one UGLY car with utterly stupid blue 'look at me I'm a EV' plastic parts plastered all over it, I just don't understand what they are thinking.

It’s probably a reason to not go electric :p

I couldn't agree more.

When you consider a Tesla Model Y is a bigger car, have a lot more range (on less battery), charge faster and not be completely ugly for less money you have to really wonder what BMW are doing. I think the Model Y long range will probably launch for under £55k in the UK when it finally gets to Europe, that X3 needs to be well under £50k. The Mach E is probally a better comparison as that's available to order and it's under £60k for the (much longer range) long range 4WD and a few options.

Soldato
It's not on sale until next summer, and I think that there might be a bit more competition around by then. I see they've opted to use CATL (probably LiFePO 4) cells/pack for the 74kWh(net)80kWh pack, that explains the poor range, and the fact it is a complete lump.

Soldato
It’s cos it’s made in China they need to use domestic produced cells. Same shoe box is primatics as VW in MEB.
RWD is a big miss for both the segment and regen benefits of an EV, half ass suspension mods and lack of cells I imagine to avoid the mess when EDU comes thumping forward in a crash and probably GVM limits of that X3 platform.

Can’t pull too regen much when you don’t have all axles able to slow the car either. It’s a bit of a weird car really and doesn’t have the ground clearance on only coil suspension to go into the states as a light duty truck so unlikely to appear in that market.

Soldato
BMW are behind, but they're starting to compete. The real battle is going to unfold over the next 2/3 generations or so, so being "first" may not be the decider in the long run.

Soldato
I did see something a few months ago in an interview with someone high up in BMW saying they really regretted not pushing forward with BEV when they had such a big lead in Europe with the i3 and i8 but there was so much pressure to leave it alone and just focus on ICE stuff that the BEV train pretty much passed them by.

Soldato
Sales numbers were apparently poor and then fell off a cliff at the start of this year. It's way to expensive for a basic hatchback. The i8 was supercar money and looks like one, but isn't.

Soldato
The i3 was never going to be cheap with its carbon fibre tub and so much new tech, but it was one of the first to market in mass production so logic says they could have used that knowledge to make another model or a replacement with all the things learned at a cheaper/more profitable price point but they simply didn't.

Back
Top Bottom