Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Think I'll be ordering. Will wait until after the PS5 event though. I can afford one "thing" for the rest of this year. The £299 price, and the fact it's something different means it just pipped the Xbox Series S (or possibly X through All Access. At the end of the day, I can play all of the games on Xbox through either my One S or my PC.

That's my feeling as well. No point in buying an Xbox when I have a PC already. Tempted by both the PS5 and Oculus quest 2 though. Seems a bit indulgent of me to buy both!

I might though as haven't really spent much money this year due to lockdown!

Soldato
OP
It really looks like the biggest downside is the headstrap. I found the Go one pretty uncomfortable and not particually secure, and that's a lighter device. I can see why they did it though. Being able to fold it down and stick it in a bag is a much easier with a flexible strap.

Soldato
So resolution of original quest is 1440x1600 per eye = 4.6 million pixels
Quest 2 is 1832x1920 per eye = 7 million pixels.

Rift is 1280x1440 per eye = 3.6 million pixels.
G2 is 2160x2160 per eye = 9.3 million pixels.

So Quest 2 is double the rift S with presumably same type of LCD panel? G2 has another 30% on top though.

Soldato
That's my feeling as well. No point in buying an Xbox when I have a PC already. Tempted by both the PS5 and Oculus quest 2 though. Seems a bit indulgent of me to buy both!

I might though as haven't really spent much money this year due to lockdown!

Probably won't get a PS5 any time soon as PC will remain my main platform for multiplat releases. When I buy, it'll be so I can dive in to the back catalogue of PS5 games. The main appeal of Xbox is Game Pass, which is paid up for another 18 months.

But there's always a chance Sony will have some big surprise announcements later. A PSVR update? PSNow expanding to take on Game Pass? A lower than expected price point? May as well hold off for a few hours.

Soldato
No OTG support on the Quest unfortunately, but you can stream to the headset via various methods, or store media directly on the headset.

There are some good portable WiFi routers which have SD card slots and usb posts for network storage if you don't have a PC/laptop to stream from.

But there's always a chance Sony will have some big surprise announcements later. A PSVR update? PSNow expanding to take on Game Pass? A lower than expected price point? May as well hold off for a few hours.

A major PS5 VR announcement is the only thing that would convince me to abandon my Quest 2 pre-order!

Last edited:
Soldato
After looking at reviews, I think I'll at least wait for the Reverb G2 reviews to turn up before buying anything.

Seems like they cut corners as well as improving things with the Quest 2, plus not comfortable with requiring facebook for this.

Associate
So what do you guys think of this review ...
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...he-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/
The guy reviewing it trashes the quest 2 pretty much. From the less sensors of the controllers, to the crappy head strap, to something with the eye viewing (started losing me with the techno jargen).
Is it really that bad? ...

I had been reading all the info previous to yesterday with the HP g2 and that sounds much better but ... do I want to spend 640pounds for a vr thing that is still in its infancy? ...

Will the G2s headstrap, controllers and comfort be better then the quest 2? If you would get the quest 2 (256) and all the accessories thats 579pounds compared to 640 for the g2 ...? hmmmm

Soldato
OP
Thanks, and one other question......can you wear it whilst it's plugged into the mains? Just wondering for like a 3hr movie

Yes you can. It looks like it's going to be an amazing device for watching movies. Finally I can retire my Oculus Go, which was my previous favourite for 3D movies as the screen was sharp, and the device relatively lightweight and compact.

Ironically the Valve Index, which is my dedicated PC VR headset, is terrible for movies as it has horrendous lens glare. The glare is ok in games, but for some reason it's really annoying when watching films.

Soldato
There's the same number of sensors in the controllers, the youtube review I've posted shows that with his IR camera.

The head strap looks cheap, but then the one they originally had didn't seem to win any plaudits either, if you're giving a crappy product, might as well go the whole hog :D.

I'm taking my first steps into VR because this is only £300, I wouldn't do that for £600.

Associate
There's the same number of sensors in the controllers, the youtube review I've posted shows that with his IR camera.

The head strap looks cheap, but then the one they originally had didn't seem to win any plaudits either, if you're giving a crappy product, might as well go the whole hog :D.

I'm taking my first steps into VR because this is only £300, I wouldn't do that for £600.

So same amount of sensors with the controllers? - true if you go for the basic model thats 300pounds - even if you only use it occasionally thats not bad.

Soldato
The Ars Technica review has been updated to reflect that it does in fact have the same number of IR tracking spots, and say it must be something else instead.

It does sound like they didn't like some aspects, and that coloured their entire review from there on in to me.

Soldato
OP
Another improvement is fixed foveated rendering is gone, so games will look even sharper. A lot of Quest games looked pretty blocky around the edge of the screen due to the FFR needed to keep the frame rate up.

Associate
Nice video review (not finished it yet) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x6lux6f_6g

Says the strap is really a big improvement. I'm still going to hold off though, will see if I can try a few home modifications if it's not comfortable.

Was a good review - but hmm forgot his name says the add on headstrap is pretty much a requirement. He also mentioned that the g2 being the better pcvr experience. I liked his review of the g2 and now this; pretty informative.

Soldato
Was a good review - but hmm forgot his name says the add on headstrap is pretty much a requirement. He also mentioned that the g2 being the better pcvr experience. I liked his review of the g2 and now this; pretty informative.

Definitely sounds like the strap is very important. However, again for me, as a first foray into VR, zero extra expenses is the approach I feel safest taking, in addition, it gives time for 3rd party products to be developed that may be better/cheaper than Oculus's elite strap. I think I saw before that you can use any USB battery pack to charge the old quest, and assume the same would be true of the new one. So finding a way to attach that on the back seems like a much better option that using Oculus's version again.

A few reviews I've watched state they've deliberately not used the elite strap, and will do so in another video, and they still seem to think the quest 2 is well worth the purchase.

My PC is in a very small office, I just don't think my main use will be tethered, so quest is pretty much my only option for now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom