• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It sounds like Flight Simulator would definitely be a good candidate for this Direct Storage technology. Being a Microsoft game I would expect it to get it some time in 2021.
Yeah, definitely.

Also they are saying the speed of the memory will help move data around quicker.
Hope so. That together with Direct Storage using my Intel Optane Drive and PCIE 4.0 will be bliss :D

Soldato
It sounds like Flight Simulator would definitely be a good candidate for this Direct Storage technology. Being a Microsoft game I would expect it to get it some time in 2021.
MS didn't even bother to launch with DX12, don't expect to see direct storage anytime soon, once it is available.

@Rofflay Here is a post i made earlier regarding VRAM usage in Doom (I'm not sure if you've seen it). While we don't know the "true usage", it is allocating all that ram for a reason.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...e-3080-discuss.18897519/page-40#post-33942319

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
MS didn't even bother to launch with DX12, don't expect to see direct storage anytime soon, once it is available.

@Rofflay Here is a post i made earlier regarding VRAM usage in Doom (I'm not sure if you've seen it). While we don't know the "true usage", it is allocating all that ram for a reason.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...e-3080-discuss.18897519/page-40#post-33942319
Depends from game to game, some allocate mainly what they need, others like COD games allocate a hell of a lot more from what I recall reading.

Do you guys seriously think the next doom game will be out before Hooper anyways?

Man of Honour
Also they are saying the speed of the memory will help move data around quicker.

Doesn't really help - a game generally needs a good proportion of what is loaded into VRAM to render a frame and often quite a bit of the rest in a timely fashion sometime in the future so generally you can't shuffle it around too much unless you have very high speed links and a decent amount of storage to cache to (as in probably 1-2+GB so might as well just increase the VRAM when it comes to your average game situation).

Depends from game to game, some allocate mainly what they need, others like COD games allocate a hell of a lot more from what I recall reading.

Do you guys seriously think the next doom game will be out before Hooper anyways?

Depends hugely - stuff like Skyrim modded I could put what was actually a "5GB" load on my GTX780 and a GTX970 before the performance went in the toilet while other games will turn into a slideshow just going a few dozens of MB over their VRAM amount.

Soldato
Doesn't really help - a game generally needs a good proportion of what is loaded into VRAM to render a frame and often quite a bit of the rest in a timely fashion sometime in the future so generally you can't shuffle it around too much unless you have very high speed links and a decent amount of storage to cache to (as in probably 1-2+GB so might as well just increase the VRAM when it comes to your average game situation).

GDDR6X, PCIe4 and Direct Storage.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia RTX 3080 Analysis: 10GB isn’t enough for 4K

Lol. Ah yes, that guy.

Seems to run every game out now just fine to me?

By the time it starts becoming an issue next gen cards will be out ;)

What the title should say is, 10gb’s is not enough for future releases (if you want the highest texture setting) ;)

But obviously that would not generate as much interest or clicks.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Here is what Guru3D said and I agree:

We feel 10GB right now is fine, but with DirectX Ultimate and added scene complexity and ray-tracing becoming the new norm, I am not so sure if that will still be enough two years from now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
One thing he did say in the review is he kinda alluded to the fact that the AIB's could have better thermal solutions.
We will find out tomorrow. I am going for the FE as I don’t fancy paying any more than that. Let’s see if I manage to secure one.

Will be interesting to see how many people here manage to get a FE. If nvidia cannot even manage to supply enough for people ordering in the first few minutes then that will be sad and paint the picture of these never really being a £649 card and Nvidia just conning us by using it get favourable reviews.

Associate
I think 10gb should be fine for a long time but I'm in no rush to upgrade (still happy with 11gb 1080Ti for 1440p), if they release a 20gb card or something later on down the line tho then I would consider this instead as more "future proof"

Soldato
From PCGH (translated)
Although we don't test with absolutely maximum details, there is one game that makes all graphics cards difficult: Minecraft. The just patched play of blocks shows the full potential of beam lighting, but craves graphics memory. Without DLSS, 8 GiByte graphics cards not only have problems with the pixels, but also show strong reloading stuttering beyond WQHD, which intensifies with longer playing time. The Geforce RTX 3080 gets away with a black eye due to the only 16 chunks to be presented, here it only falters in Ultra HD without DLSS due to insufficient memory. With greater display distance (chunks), the jerking already occurs in Full HD and WQHD. With 24 chunks in Full HD (!), Neither an RTX 3080 nor an RTX 2080 Ti give pleasure due to violent, purely memory-related reload stutters. This problem can currently only be solved by the Titan RTX and, shortly, the RTX 3090.

So on to the next resolution - and suddenly Ampere stumbles violently. As mentioned before, we didn't want to make it too easy therefore we have activated DLSS, but also the maximum texture pool size. The latter brings the 10 GiByte of the RTX 3080 to burst, although it still comes out almost 54 (to 92) fps. The change to 5K finally causes amps to crash, nothing can be done here. The Geforce RTX 2080 Ti shouldered the 5K test with great pain and outsourced gigabytes of data, 24 fps are still possible here.

Then something remarkable happens beyond Ultra HD. In two out of three games that we tested up to 8K (7,680 × 4,320 pixels), the RTX 3080 was able to gain further percentage. Ironically, Doom Eternal, which runs great on the GA102, scales negatively. There is a good, already well-known explanation for this: The memory is no longer sufficient for the gigantic frame buffers, so that data has to be swapped out. In fact, for 8K we have to reduce the texture pool from "Ultra Nightmare" to "Nightmare", otherwise the game refuses this setting - the RTX 2080 Ti works, but for the sake of fairness we test both graphics cards under 8K with "Nightmare". That brings us back to Fiji: like the Fury X, the RTX 3080 also has the problem that high resolutions help it,

Geforce-RTX-3080-vs.-Geforce-RTX-2080-Ti_IPC-Clock-Comparison-Benchmark-pcgh.jpg

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefo...Tests/Raytracing-Vergleich-DLSS-Test-1357418/

Soldato
I won't be buying a 3070 that's for sure ;)

I can see purpose to a faster than console card/experience for a price premium.

What I can't see a purpose to is paying the same for one single component (vs the whole console cost) that just about matches it. Riddle me that :)
If all games had good keyboard and mouse options I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom