• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
15% faster in what benchmark? show me some frames.
Idk why dont you go and ask 1usmus, im sure hes not going just make stuff up.

Yes, you are missing pretty much every review that tried to OC. It's not even 10% AT BEST. Minimum is more like 3%.

Its because they're already overclocked to the max by Nvidia, if TDP was set to around 250w like the last few generations then these would only be 10-15% faster than a 2080ti and that wouldn't have gone down to well.

Associate
That's not how claims work. I ignore garage out when i get garage in :) He's the one claiming things, and hasn't explained what point he's making. minute of: pi, 1+1, erm..

Soldato
When you see it laid out like that you can't help but feel it should be faster? Or is it slightly misleading as really it should be comparing against the 2080 due to them being similar RRP's?
It should be faster based on the specs, just go to show how bad samsung 8NM is.

Associate
They have gone now but im not paying anything more than RRP, dont care how in demand they are i dont agree with price gouging , i can wait as i only have 2 games waiting to play that my 1070 sucks with.

Soldato
Who are generally good manufacturers of GPUs and who do you aim to avoid?
I know Asus customer service is pretty rubbish from experience. I had heard EVGA were good but maybe not so much any more?

Soldato
Interesting. I noticed a lot of the reviews were against a non-OC'd 2080Ti. Even my clown card can maintain +600(curve)/+800(memory) with raised power, and outperforms the 2080Ti benchmarks they gave significantly.

I guess not many people know the potential of the 2080Ti under water. It's not just the Kingpin. Most of that for basic use (IE not pulling it apart and putting a pot on it) is wasted.

But. Any 2080Ti under proper water cooling will love it, just as Pascal did. I think about the worst I have seen was a reference card at 2ghz. A friend of mine had the MSI Trio and he got 2200 out of his with the Vbios mod. For me it's not worth the 60mhz to void the nice long warranty.

The problem? how many people would buy a 2080Ti and put it under water? come on, let's face it, owner numbers on this forum were about as low as I have EVER seen a top end GPU get. It was pathetic. Leading me to think that most were salty because they couldn't afford it, right? I know I was. Mine was fluke, I never buy GPUs like that.

However, every one seems to have gotten awful excited. Why? look man, if I sold you a bag of sweets for five quid, then came back and charged you a tenner for the next one you'd be peed at me right? so what if I came back with the third bag for a fiver? would you think you got a great deal?

And that is what they have done. Bottom line? the 3080 IS NOT a replacement for a 2080Ti. No way. So what is? the 3090 ! and how much does it cost? exactly the bloody same !

1080Ti launch price $699
2080 launch price $699
3080 launch price $699

2080Ti launch price $1399. Lest we forget the $2300 Titan RTX.
3090 launch price $1399.

Why no Titan Ampere? I can give you 390 reasons.

Oh yeah. Go ahead and stick your 3080 under water and see what happens. Nothing. 6% overclock with a 15% power rise and it's not temp limited it's VBIOS limited ! meaning you need to hope they release and unlocked one and break about 10 years of locking every single card released apart from high end 2080Tis.

The reason?

1. It is an overclocker's dream.
2. It uses so much power it gets laughed off the face of the earth.
3. It gets too close to the card costing twice as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
And that is what they have done. Bottom line? the 3080 IS NOT a replacement for a 2080Ti. No way. So what is? the 3090 ! and how much does it cost? exactly the bloody same !

1080Ti launch price $699
2080 launch price $699
3080 launch price $699

2080Ti launch price $1399. Lest we forget the $2300 Titan RTX.
3090 launch price $1399.

Why no Titan Ampere? I can give you 390 reasons.
The 2080ti launch price was $1199

The 3090 costs $200 more :D

Back
Top Bottom