• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Soldato
as most people play on 1080 .. why is it that 98% of reviews are 1440 and above ?
has nvidia said don't do 1080 ? because as we know at 1080 a 3080 sucks balls ..and at 1440 it's not much better in a lot of titles ..
the other thing is the power and heat issue .. amd got bashed for fun for less power ..
to me this whole launch smells funny .. and i pity those that buy a 3080 ..
Saw loads? But 400fps at 1080p is pointess
Gamers Nexus
Bitwit
Hardware unboxed
I think Paul's hardware

Associate
It's the hype that keeps it hot

LOL fans are nearly at 2k speeds too. Now I see why it's over-hyped
:D

fannoise-load.png

;)

Whisper quiet compared to some cards :p

Soldato
It's the hype that keeps it hot

LOL fans are nearly at 2k speeds too. Now I see why it's over-hyped
:D

Damn that's good, the Hype is real - runs way cooler and way quieter than a 5700xt and 2080ti. My ASUS Strix 2080ti fans go over 3000rpm.

Thats a seriously good cooler, basically dead silent at full load.

Soldato
Damn that's good, the Hype is real - runs way cooler and way quieter than a 5700xt and 2080ti. My ASUS Strix 2080ti fans go over 3000rpm.

Thats a seriously good cooler, basically dead silent at full load.

The GeForce RTX 3080 cannot be overclocked well

The OC behavior indicates that the graphics card was pushed to its limit. Nvidia apparently clocks the GeForce RTX 3080 pretty close to the chip's limit ex works.

Because the GA102-GPU of the test sample of the GeForce RTX 3080 FE can only be overclocked by 74 MHz and thus by 4 percent before it crashes. The graphics card then works with a maximum of 2,025 MHz in games, and 1,965 MHz at higher temperatures. However, the values are only achieved if the power limit, which has been maximized from 320 to 370 watts, allows it, which is rarely the case.
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/geforce-rtx-3080-test/5/
(roughly translated)

Soldato
The thermal results are very variable. I had Joker ignored but checked his results earlier from someone linking to it, he had perhaps the most golden silicon 3080 possible (and also the worst 2080 Ti I've ever seen). Meanwhile I looked at OCClub & some others and it wasn't so rosy in the least.

Soldato

The OC results are all over the place. One reviewer couldn't get more than +30mhz out of his 3080, while another got +100mhz.
Same for memory, some only getting +400, others getting up to +1300mhz

There were some leaks that suggested the 3080 and 3090 cards were not binned like Turing and so you don't know what chip quality you are getting - they were right. RTX3000 cards are a silicon lottery

Soldato
The OC results are all over the place. One reviewer couldn't get more than +30mhz out of his 3080, while another got +100mhz.
Same for memory, some only getting +400, others getting up to +1300mhz

There were some leaks that suggested the 3080 and 3090 cards were not binned like Turing and so you don't know what chip quality you are getting - they were right. RTX3000 cards are a silicon lottery
Usually, higher binned AKA better Asic gpus don't OC that high. Lower Asic = "higher power leakage" so it reacts to more voltage better. The benefit for a better Asic is that you get lower voltage at the same clock rates. If i recall correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah 30% better cooling but the cards generate 30% more heat the 2000 series.

I am actually impressed by their cooler. Look at the size some AIB have had to go to to try and cool these beasts?

Exactly, the more efficient the cooling the more heat is output into the case and room. I've already seen reported increases in CPU and RAM temperatures as a result.

Soldato
Exactly, the more efficient the cooling the more heat is output into the case and room. I've already seen reported increases in CPU and RAM temperatures as a result.

Linus tested this theory and yes the GPU does raise RAM and CPU temps but only slightly

Soldato
Linus tested this theory and yes the GPU does raise RAM and CPU temps but only slightly

I think it was 10°C, that's a fair amount given people will go to some trouble to drop 3 or 4°C off the temperature of their CPU. The in-depth testing will be interesting.

Soldato
I think it was 10°C, that's a fair amount given people will go to some trouble to drop 3 or 4°C off the temperature of their CPU. The in-depth testing will be interesting.

Linus said the FE 2080ti also increased CPU and RAM temps, the difference between that rise in temps was minor between the 2080ti and 3080 - it is not 10c

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Go to the video, he clearly says system temperature ;)
But would the system temps not be lower vs the aib cards due to the fe actually exhausting a lot of the heat out of the case? The only thing I can see being a bit higher is cpu and ram temps and even that in a long session of gaming would eventually normalise.

Soldato
the 3080 clearly has been over hyped by Nvidia,

I think most people bought into the hype and the slide showing performance gain because that independent analysis by Digital Foundry.

I don't for a second believe that DF is complicit in Nvidia's marketing and trying to "create hyper". however as a tech-reviewer/news outlier or whatever you want to call these outlets , how can you accept such promotion without your conscious telling you something doesn't smell right. Shouldn't DF said to nvidia - ok, if you want us to verify performance, we will want to run our own suites of gaming benches. I can also understand that the new card driver may only been optimised at the time of the reveal for certain games and even to date, the benches that are available may not tell the whole story of performance for these cards.

However the question is really, how can a tech site stand up to these sort of things and should anyone really be going along with tech companies on their marketing journeys without being caught in the cross fire

Back
Top Bottom