• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
No you are wrong. 2080ti owners are bitter because Nvidia has pre overclcoked the 3080s to the max and some barely overclock anymore than stock so compared to their overclocked 2080tis, they are only going to gain 10-15% perfromance if they buy a 3080.

They can gain 25-30% performance if they buy the 3090 but thats £200 more than their overpriced 2080ti was.

So really this launch offers them nothing except they have to pay a shedload of money again just to get the same 20-30% uplift.

For anybody coming from previous generations its fine.

Personally I wanted the 3080 to destroy the 2080ti and be 50% faster as the leather jacket man claimed in his misleading presentation.

Surely 2080ti owners would be happy that their big investment two years ago is still performing admirably, and that they don’t need to go through the hassle and cost of selling their card and upgrading yet?

Caporegime
Surely 2080ti owners would be happy that their big investment two years ago is still performing admirably, and that they don’t need to go through the hassle and cost of selling their card and upgrading yet?

Nah. Its been two years, we like to upgrade and for a lot of us we want/need that HDMI 2.1 plus the 2080ti doesnt give you a solid 60fps in 4k so with the "promised" 50% boost I was hoping to finally have a true 4k card that would run everything between 60 and 120fps on the LG OLED TV.

Associate

Yeah. I'm in different to this launch. The 3080 is more of a side grade to my oc'd 2080ti and the 3090 is too much and I don't have a 4k screen currently.

I would have loved to see a 50% bump over a 2080ti but that's a asking a lot. A 2080ti at higher resolutions is very fast and has a lot of oc headroom.

Associate
i can see why this is a bitter pill to swallow for the 2080Ti users but this is just what happens at high end

No you are wrong. 2080ti owners are bitter because Nvidia has pre overclcoked the 3080s to the max and some barely overclock anymore than stock so compared to their overclocked 2080tis, they are only going to gain 10-15% perfromance if they buy a 3080.

Why is everyone so convinced that 2080Ti owners must be bitter and fuming? First I was supposed to be so sad that my card was soundly beaten, and now I'm supposed to be upset that it's not quite out for the count yet?

I've been watching this release with interest, it's great that there's been a decent jump in price/performance, but it's maybe not a big enough difference to make me take the leap and buy a 3080. At £410 more than I paid for my 2080Ti the 3090 is not a cheap card, and not released or reviewed yet, and we have AMD releasing before long so there's still a lot to be discovered by the end of the year.

I can assure you the relative performance of my last gen card to the cards of this generation is WAAAAAY down the list of things ******* me off right now!

Man of Honour
Why is everyone so convinced that 2080Ti owners must be bitter and fuming? First I was supposed to be so sad that my card was soundly beaten, and now I'm supposed to be upset that it's not quite out for the count yet?

I think a lot is going to depend on when 2080ti owners bought and the price they paid - those that bought early at closer to £1000 have had some decent use out of the card and had this kind of performance level for awhile for their money while those that bought more recently - especially if they paid out for one of the £LOL variants are probably not so happy. Personally I don't have much sympathy I've always spent that kind of money aware that tech tends to depreciate fast, etc.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. I've got loads of use out of my 2080Ti and I'm still happy with my purchase. I know you take a hit whenever new tech comes out and I don't mind. However I don't think the 3080 is a big enough jump to warrant buying one now. I'm waiting to see if they release a Ti version, then I'll compare that and the 3090 and go from there. I was really excited when the NDA's lifted but was left feeling a little disappointed after watching/reading reviews.
Yeah I don't think the 3080 makes much sense to a 2080ti owner. I think these cards are more aimed at pascal users who didn't upgrade to Turing.

Caporegime
I think a lot is going to depend on when 2080ti owners bought and the price they paid - those that bought early at closer to £1000 have had some decent use out of the card and had this kind of performance level for awhile for their money while those that bought more recently - especially if they paid out for one of the £LOL variants are probably not so happy. Personally I don't have much sympathy I've always spent that kind of money aware that tech tends to depreciate fast, etc.

Indeed. My two 2080ti didnt even cost me what a 3090 costs now. And when SLI works, they still destroy a 3090.

Back
Top Bottom