• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ampere RTX3000 series review thread

Permabanned
Only 21% faster than a 2080Ti at 1440p on average.... :confused: Oh well.

Lets see what the RTX3090 and big Navi offer, this isn't good enough.

Been mentioned before but these are not really aimed at 2080Ti owners. For others on less than a 2080 they offer a big upgrade. For me, still using a 1080 @ 1440p it offers well over twice the FPS on a lot of games.

Still waiting for AMD tho. :)

Associate
Been mentioned before but these are not really aimed at 2080Ti owners. For others on less than a 2080 they offer a big upgrade. For me, still using a 1080 @ 1440p it offers well over twice the FPS on a lot of games.

Still waiting for AMD tho. :)

Disappointing though because of the the hype, flaunting 100% gains over 2080 gave us hope for 40-50% gains....

Yes, hopefully AMD can deliver.

Associate
Disappointing though because of the the hype, flaunting 100% gains over 2080 gave us hope for 40-50% gains....

Yes, hopefully AMD can deliver.

I don't think that was a realistic expectation at this price point, it just wouldn't make sense from Nvidia's perspective. But I believe it won't take long for Nvidia to announce the 3080ti/super more in terms of pleasing current 2080ti owners.
For everyone else, a 3080 seems superb and I highly doubt AMD will get even close to that. I'd gladly be wrong on this!

Associate

Was the 3080 ever really designed to be against the 2080ti though isn't that the 3090's job? I mean a card that's 15-35% faster than the predceding model up and for half the price.. I mean yes it's not the game changer they alluded to but did anyone really think it was going to be given previous hype etc. I still think overall it's a step in the right direction though. I imagine the 3070 will be slightly under the 2080ti and that will be the winner overall considering price to performance, I would hold out for AMD's offering but inreality their CPU's great but GPU's have always been a little lacking.

Soldato

The 1% lows are around or I’d not higher than a 2080ti average FPS.

That’s the most impressive thing about these cards

Soldato
Was the 3080 ever really designed to be against the 2080ti though isn't that the 3090's job? I mean a card that's 15-35% faster than the predceding model up and for half the price.
Not really, that's what Nvidia want people to think.

Most people agreed that given the 2080ti being only around 30% faster than the 1080ti, it should have been priced at similar level to the 1080ti and the 3080 around same price bracket of £650~£700 ish in the first place. The only reason why the 3080 looks like such a great card now is because how our price to performance expectation has been loosen by the overpriced 2000 series.

Few years ago I would never considered spending more than £500 on a graphic card, but after under-performed and overpriced 2000 series (especially the 2080ti) now I look at the 3080 at £650-£700 being "reasonable"; it is scary how the normalisation works.

Associate
It's called a negotiation which any company will do!
The bottom line is that companies are supposed to prioritise profits. Capitalism 101.
The problem they've had is that using the inferior and power hungry process has meant that they've had to spend significantly extra on a cooling situation due to the heat and power required to get this performance and thus increased the cost of making the card, wiping out any savings.

Associate

Most people agreed that given the 2080ti being only around 30% faster than the 1080ti, it should have been priced at similar level to the 1080ti and the 3080 around same price bracket of £650~£700 ish in the first place. The only reason why the 3080 looks like such a great card now is because how our price to performance expectation has been loosen by the overpriced 2000 series.

Few years ago I would never considered spending more than £500 on a graphic card, but after under-performed and overpriced 2000 series (especially the 2080ti) now I look at the 3080 at £650-£700 being "reasonable"; it is scary how the normalisation works.
Can;t disagree, I mean if I can snag a FE I might buy it but I don;t really need it as I'm a 1440p gamer and struggle with 4k (eyesight wise)so no need for a 4k card, I might just wait for the 3070 to drop decisions decisions.. What I won't be doing is paying anything over 650 for a 3080 though..

Last edited:
Associate
Was the 3080 ever really designed to be against the 2080ti though isn't that the 3090's job? I mean a card that's 15-35% faster than the predceding model up and for half the price.. I mean yes it's not the game changer they alluded to but did anyone really think it was going to be given previous hype etc. I still think overall it's a step in the right direction though. I imagine the 3070 will be slightly under the 2080ti and that will be the winner overall considering price to performance, I would hold out for AMD's offering but inreality their CPU's great but GPU's have always been a little lacking.

3090 is the new Titan, 3080 is effectively the new 2080Ti... It just shows how overpriced the 2080Ti really was.

Will be interesting to see if the 3080Ti offers anything other than increased memory.

Associate

Ultimately this is less to do with people being desensitised to price and more to do with Nvidia having complete monopoly of the gpu space, we have no choice in the matter. Lets hope for AMD to give them a good hiding in their next reveal.

Caporegime
Ultimately this is less to do with people being desensitised to price and more to do with Nvidia having complete monopoly of the gpu space, we have no choice in the matter. Lets hope for AMD to give them a good hiding in their next reveal.

Rubbish, of course you have a choice.

Nvidia does not force anyone to buy a GPU,they set the price at what the market will bear. It is consumers who control the pricing. Nvidia have a legal obligation to share holder to maximize their returns, the CEO can be sent to prison for failing to uphold the demands of the shareholders in this aspect. Optimizing the sales price to maximize profits is a fundamental requirement of a functional legal company.

Soldato
a half node step smaller than the 10nm, which is a whole node step smaller than the 16/12nm node

Wiki chip back in 2018 had an article on samsung 8nm - the DUV process pretty much only matches the announced spec for their 10nm (fin pitch and gate pitch), which therefore makes sense that Nv are shoving volts through it to get performance. It why GloFo and UMC arnt playing this game anymore. However i can see Samsung stepping up once EUV comes online

Back
Top Bottom