What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Doh! I did my whole last house without one but luckily the rooms were quite small so it wasn't too hard on the neck (I can just about reach being 5'11). What will you do about the paver, get a bigger grinder? :D
Yea pretty much, my dad's got one I can borrow but everything turns into a drama. He's going how it can bite and take your arm off:rolleyes:. Also says he'll give me a hand but really I prefer just doing stuff on my own. I can manhandle the pavers (3 foot X 2 foot, so reasonably heavy) on my own, but I can get away with cutting it on the ground.

Associate
Made a new roof for the dog kennel (it's actually storage) which was a present from the father in law! Thought there was enough felt left over from when I had the shed roof recovered, alas no so it's not perfect but the best I could do.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Associate
Did a chemical flush on my heating system last week , in readiness for winter soon.
Need to leave the chemicals in for another week or so and then re-flush and add inhibitor.
Heaters now warm up really quick and don't need to be left on as log to get the house warm

Associate
Heaters as in radiators?

Do you do it for every winter?
Sorry yes radiators - not sure why I typed heaters.
Do it every few years (sooner if I notice cold spots etc - seems to keep the system clean and running efficiently for relatively small costs and a few hours work.

Soldato
Yea pretty much, my dad's got one I can borrow but everything turns into a drama. He's going how it can bite and take your arm off:rolleyes:. Also says he'll give me a hand but really I prefer just doing stuff on my own. I can manhandle the pavers (3 foot X 2 foot, so reasonably heavy) on my own, but I can get away with cutting it on the ground.

They must be quite heavy! I moved 70x 400mm x 400mm slabs (23kg each) from the front of my house and in to the rear of my garden a few months ago. I soon felt that the next day.

I got up early this morning and painted the ceiling in my lounge again, looks much better now. It might have helped that it was much cooler in the room after I aired the downstairs.

Tidy job there @miller745

Soldato
They must be quite heavy! I moved 70x 400mm x 400mm slabs (23kg each) from the front of my house and in to the rear of my garden a few months ago. I soon felt that the next day.

I got up early this morning and painted the ceiling in my lounge again, looks much better now. It might have helped that it was much cooler in the room after I aired the downstairs.

Tidy job there @miller745
I can carry them (with difficulty) but I just 'walk' them (and am very careful to keep fingers well clear:p).

Soldato
I was forced to clear out a load of trash from our spare room in preparation for a new carpet going in tomorrow.

Also smashed up a big old mirror. Old glass is terrifically dangerous, so i put it in the wheelie bin and lobbed in a brick.

Soldato
Put up a few sets of shelves for a friend. While I had my tools there I refitted their toilet roll holder, put up a picture rail/shelf thing, and fixed a door handle. I suspect I'll be visiting those friends again soon to sort out more odd jobs :D

Soldato
Took the kids wendy house apart today, in preparation for being sold tomorrow. Quite sad, in a way.

Also had to move an enormous cupboard into the newly carpeted room, on my own, while the kids kept getting in the way. Typical.

Soldato
Took the kids wendy house apart today, in preparation for being sold tomorrow. Quite sad, in a way.

Also had to move an enormous cupboard into the newly carpeted room, on my own, while the kids kept getting in the way. Typical.
I've found that asking the kids to move means they will find an even more annoying position to be in:D.

Soldato
Man job list for this morning, built up 2 kitchen units (never done this before, hard work building a double width unit on my own), fitted an outside light, trimmed a threshold cover and did some uni work oh and did a factory reset on the router. I then had lunch:p. Was tempted to wash the car and give it a good vac but figured I couldn't be bothered and it looked like rain.

Associate
Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out as I have never done decking before. Annoyingly decking is a fairly hard to get stock of in a lot of places and to make it harder I wanted boards that were smooth on one side which not everywhere does. Wickes does there "premium" 28mm decking at £12 for a 3.6m board, but that wasn't flat on one side. They also do there "commercial" 32mm decking which is smooth on one side but costs £15 for a 3.6m board. I ended up going to a local wood yard who mill all their own wood. They had these, which are flat on one side (35mm thick and 3.6m long) boards for £8.98 which was a bargain and they are much better quality that anything I have seen at the big chain diy stores. You often get lots of warped and knotty wood which places fob off on you when they deliver, but out of 40 boards all but one were excellent and even that one only had a little chunk missing from one edge so it was fine once that bit was cut off. Find a local wood yard, better quality wood and much cheaper! Also they delivered within an hour of me paying for it for the princely sum of £10!

Dave

Tea Drinker
Don
Decorator finished the entrance today, back of the door painted, walls woodwork painted, interior doors and shelves osmo oiled

0GL6Q6U.jpg

J9M16JY.jpg

Got new coir matting coming Friday and carpet for the hall landing and stairs

Back
Top Bottom