MyProtein Vegan Protein / lactose intolerance....

Associate
I've been suffering in silence for a long time with lactose intolerance. As I get older its getting worse and even whey isolate is causing me major discomfort now...and thats been polite. Today has been the final straw, having a full on whitey in the gym and having to quickly evacuate the premises...

I lift 5-6 days a week and find it difficult to get my daily protein intake from food alone so do rely on 1-2 shakes a day to help supplement and fill in gaps.

MyProtein appear to have three popular vegan options:
  • Soy
  • Pea
  • Blend
As with most things in life I appreciate there is compromise and I understand there is variation in each of these options with regards to amino acid profiles, texture and mix-ability. Taste wise, it is what it is I suppose. I'm used to drinking unflavoured whey. Ultimately to me its a medicine that is downed in one rather than consumed to be enjoyed as some strange dessert or snack.

So, for those in the know...what should I try? I can certainly buy 250g/500g of each to sample but just want to hear some first hand experiences please.

Soldato
They both have a pretty similar AA profile when it comes to the important ones for gainz (leucine specifically) and they wouldn't be your only source of protein so it's not super important. The main differences...

Pea:
- tastes like dusty dry peas (as you'd expect), even if you can drink unflavoured whey, this may prove... challenging
- cheaper
- harder to mix/more clumpy, or thicker/more filling if you look at it that way (people use it to make soups because it's more savoury)

Soy:
- less of a 'texture' to it
- mixes more easily, easier to drink
- more expensive

There isn't much in it really from a 'results' perspective, it comes down more to cost and usage I suppose. Pea digests a little slower (in isolation) and soy is far more workable 'on the go' because of the easier mixing. I would probably just get both and use soy in the day and make something with the pea for the last meal as a slow release, but if you're just treating it like I treat my fish oil then perhaps the former would be better.

(Re cost - I would assume for both you would only buy on MP when on offer, since they have sales every 5 minutes and paying full wack for protein powder off there is madness)

Associate
OP
I mix the brown rice and pea, they're not nice but they get the job done.

You mentioned that you were sick in the gym, are you having a protein shake pre training?

shake at 2pm, workout at 4pm. delayed onset of stomach/gastro which hit me like a steamtrain towards end of session. I typically prefer to workout fasted or light stomach.

Intolerance definitely getting worse now, isolate was always ok for me.

Associate
OP
if you dont mind the cost the myvegan clear protein tastes incredible, its like drinking squash although the protein levels aren't that great.

I've had a lot of the clear whey, its something I long dreamed of having a more 'squash' like shake rather then creamy/dairy. Good but expensive. I notice the vegan one is even more expensive and as you say low on overall protein per serving.

Soldato
I've had a lot of the clear whey, its something I long dreamed of having a more 'squash' like shake rather then creamy/dairy. Good but expensive. I notice the vegan one is even more expensive and as you say low on overall protein per serving.

I was the same, milkshake consistency makes me gag so forcing protein shakes down was quite a show.

I now have the normal clear whey and its perfect for what I want. Shake AM and PM gives me plenty of protein. Vegan one has the added vitamins which is a bonus though.

Back
Top Bottom