• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Have AMD released any news yet, or are they sticking with the master plan of watching everyone buy NV cards for a month before telling us what they've got to offer?
Can you please do everyone a favour and read the same news sites as the rest of us? Between Wccf and Videocardz all the release news and rumours we have access to are there.

Soldato
The thing that strikes me about the new RDNA 2 cooler design is that it looks quite a lot like the Radeon VII. Compare the two designs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rad...ECAMQAw&biw=1024&bih=659#imgrc=IP3viw1TdIW3oM

https://www.google.com/search?q=rx+...JA_enGB850GB850&hl=en-GB#imgrc=u9LoljEVglXhBM

The design has been jazzed up, but a similar heatsink design is present, with a similar dual 8 pin power connector layout and a metallic look. Personally, I prefer the sleeker look of the render.

I think we could be looking at the Radeon VIII, if so, maybe it is considered part of the rx 6000 series. Or theyve changed the naming scheme...

The two fan design is most likely to be a 6700 XT. The colour scheme is different to the 3 fan design. The other thing that differs is that if you look closely at the 2 fan design render - the heatsink is only visible near to the power connectors. Although, this could just be a low quality render.

Last edited:
Soldato
The majority of what? High-end GPU buyers? Potato laptop users? Besides - who cares, I'm not playing on the settings the majority cares about because I don't care about it, and running the same tests in the same way that 1000 other publications do it doesn't strike me as representative but rather moronic. How about some differentiation instead!

PS: HDReworked has over 3.6 MILLION downloads on nexusmods and countless torrent/off-site dls. For a 2.6 GB mod that's insanely representative.

Wow 3.6m that is super :eek: Well it would be if that number didn't include all previous versions and that the patch is split into three parts.....

Caporegime
The thing that strikes me about the new RDNA 2 cooler design is that it looks quite a lot like the Radeon VII. Compare the two designs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rad...ECAMQAw&biw=1024&bih=659#imgrc=IP3viw1TdIW3oM

https://www.google.com/search?q=rx+...JA_enGB850GB850&hl=en-GB#imgrc=u9LoljEVglXhBM

The design has been jazzed up, but a similar heatsink design is present, with a similar dual 8 pin power connector layout and a metallic look. Personally, I prefer the sleeker look of the render.

I think we could be looking at the Radeon VIII, if so, maybe it is considered part of the rx 6000 series. Or theyve changed the naming scheme...

The two fan design is most likely to be a 6700 XT. The colour scheme is different to the 3 fan design.

So because the cooler has 3 fans you think Radeon 7 is being re-released as the new high-end?

Soldato
its mostly because of the difference in colour scheme and possibly the design of the heatsink too. its just 1 possibility. No reason to assume its definitely the 6900 XT.

In practical terms, an RDNA 2 based radeon VIII might make sense if they want a higher performing part (that is possibly lower yield or harder to produce).

The Radeon VII was released months before Navi 10 GPUs, its possible they are planning a similar type of launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wtf is a 2080 ultra simulated? Are these like made up cards? Great testing methodology !!
They have a great testing methodology actually. But even without reading the methodology you should be able to figure out what it was from the numbers just below a card's name.

We also simulated a piece of the future with the help of a heavily overclocked MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Z Trio . You can find their data as "RTX 2080 Ultra" in the following performance index (here the value from 3DMark Firestrike Extreme) until we get a Titan RTX back from Nvidia .

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Graf...s/Benchmark-Vergleich-Rangliste-Test-1354679/
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Graf...chmark-Anleitung-Community-Benchmark-1354678/

Soldato
Of course there is a reason... AMD will very likely be naming it in line with Nvidia, eg: 6700, 6800, 6900. Naming it Radeon VIII makes little logical sense.

Good point. Ive no idea what they might call a 2nd gen. RDNA 2 based Radeon VII. The RVII was apparently called that due to it being the first consumer 7nm GPU. They never made a very large die monolithic GPU with TSMC 7nm, which in some ways, seems like a wasted opportunity.

I think it likely depends on if they can get high enough yields with this kind of GPU. Unless it was just planned as a limited release GPU, to be soon be replaced by 5nm GPUs in 2021.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it was considered too expensive, and was basically replaced by the much better value, more efficient 5700 XT. But it was mostly created on the back of the similar Radeon Instinct GPUs.

How about a Radeon 7.1 :D

Last edited:
Associate
I really think AMD can compete with the 3080.

Historically when AMD have doubled transistor count they tend to get close to or better than linear scaling.

performance deltas are at 4k from TechPowerUp performance summaries.
Tahiti (280X) -> Fiji (Fury X) + 92% performance from + 107% transistors.
Polaris 30 (RX590) -> Vega 20 (Radeon 7) + 96% performance from + 135% transistors.
Polaris 30 (RX590) -> Navi 10 (5700XT) + 72% performance from + 81% transistors.
Navi 14 (5500XT 8GB) -> Navi 10 (5700XT) + 85% performance from + 61% transistors.

If 6900XT is 80CUs then it is likely to have 2x the transistors and with the above scaling it will be between +71% of the 5700XT and + 139% of the 5700XT.

If we take AMDs 50% perf/watt claim and they are doing what they did with GCN vs RDNA which is comparing two products (in GCN vs RDNA it was V64 vs 5700XT and they actually exceeded it then) then it would suggest that 5700XT performance can be had for around 140W and Series X specs and presentations seem to indicate this is plausible. 5500XT to 5700XT shows linear power scaling. If that trend were to continue then 2x 5700XT performance is 280W.

We can also use the Gears 5 benchmark for Series X vs 2080 as well. Digital Foundry said in the 4k Ultra benchmark the Series X was about the same as a 3950X + 2080. The 2080 @4k Ultra is 29% faster than the 5700XT. A 29% gain from a 24% increase in Tflops is slightly better than linear which again points to an 80CU @ 2Ghz with reasonable clocks 6900XT being in the 3080 ballpark.

There are plenty of caveats with the above but it really seems that 3080 performance is achievable for AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom